Britannia Lord Kitchener website exclusive.

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that,Mark. I thought that Hornby would have e mailed details of delivery,considering their brand new state of the art warehousing system. I thought I read somewhere that the customer would be kept informed. Apparently not.At this moment in time I am completely unaware of when it's to be delivered which is an irritating nuisance to say the least. Unclever and frankly sloppy for a company that has a much heralded direct sell approach.It is quite simply not good enough.

My mobile telephone number is on Hornby's system for my address and billing details. Interlink use the mobile number to keep customers informed of delivery but once you have the received the text then information can be obtained from interlinks website. Other online retailers do seem to be include the tracking details on their own website. Hornby's system does seem to rely on purchasers having provided a mobile phone number.

• RMweb Gold

My mobile telephone number is on Hornby's system for my address and billing details. Interlink use the mobile number to keep customers informed of delivery but once you have the received the text then information can be obtained from interlinks website. Other online retailers do seem to be include the tracking details on their own website. Hornby's system does seem to rely on purchasers having provided a mobile phone number.

Thank you Tony for that information. I have amended my details on the Hornby website to include my mobile number as a result. Won't do me any good this time but perhaps when "Manston" arrives it will.

Still underwhelmed and unimpressed.I get better communication than this from e bay sellers.I see nothing on Hornby's website to indicate that they "communicate" in this way....or have I missed something ? Is it too much for their system to provide a direct link to the courier after much capital investment in their new storage and distribution facility ?

• RMweb Gold

Still underwhelmed and unimpressed.I get better communication than this from e bay sellers.I see nothing on Hornby's website to indicate that they "communicate" in this way....or have I missed something ? Is it too much for their system to provide a direct link to the courier after much capital investment in their new storage and distribution facility ?

Agree with you completely in this regard. I only found out about the mobile number being needed after I asked the Interlink Driver why I didn't get any text from them. Added the details on the Hornby website and bingo, next shipment was advised by text. It was great tracking the delivery as the driver was making his way round Folkestone. I'm normally about his 70th delivery!!

Hornby's system is still in the Ice Age. Last week I got a shipment from Germany (a German special release not available in the UK) and got an email from the German shop advising despatch and tracking details. Clicked on the link and the Deutsche Post-DHL website gave the progress of the package within Germany and, once the packet was on its way, a link to the Parcel Force website which took over once the packet arrived in the UK.

Keith

PS: and, in accordance with German practice, there was a little bag of Haribo wine gum thingies in the package!!

By coincidence we bought some empty beer bottles last weekend on eBay which were delivered by Interlinkexpress.  We were given full tracking information from the eBay seller and duly sent an email with a one hour slot for delivery.  We are very careful with our mobile numbers and do not give them out.  So perhaps needing to supply a mobile number is a 'red herring' and the 'fault' as such is back with Hornby who were obviously incredibly busy on Friday.

Just an observation

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Agree with you completely in this regard. I only found out about the mobile number being needed after I asked the Interlink Driver why I didn't get any text from them. Added the details on the Hornby website and bingo, next shipment was advised by text. It was great tracking the delivery as the driver was making his way round Folkestone. I'm normally about his 70th delivery!!

Hornby's system is still in the Ice Age. Last week I got a shipment from Germany (a German special release not available in the UK) and got an email from the German shop advising despatch and tracking details. Clicked on the link and the Deutsche Post-DHL website gave the progress of the package within Germany and, once the packet was on its way, a link to the Parcel Force website which took over once the packet arrived in the UK.

Keith

PS: and, in accordance with German practice, there was a little bag of Haribo wine gum thingies in the package!!

It seems a little harsh. I have had no issues with Hornby's delivery service having provided my mobile number, and as you have experienced you get a slot, the drivers name and a map to watch the driver on his rounds a bit like Norad Santa! I've even turned up unannounced at my local Interlink depot to collect a package that was due to be redelivered, with no issues. Interlink provide exactly the same facilities as DHL, the only differences are that for Hornby shipments the link comes from Interlink and not Hornby, and via text and not email. Interlink do offer a range of alternative delivery options, including to local convenience stores so you can get it the same day if you or neighbours aren't in. Hardly the "ice age". I also know from experience of running a mail order business that DHL aren't exactly cheap for UK parcels. With free P&P on Hornby orders over £30, I'd rather have the free postage than pay more for an email.

Hornby have changed couriers during their current revival at least once, and perhaps their Internet team haven't got round to integrating the systems. Looking at the orders pages on my Hornby account history, it appears it is designed for some form of integration at a later date.

• RMweb Gold

It seems a little harsh. I have had no issues with Hornby's delivery service having provided my mobile number, and as you have experienced you get a slot, the drivers name and a map to watch the driver on his rounds a bit like Norad Santa! I've even turned up unannounced at my local Interlink depot to collect a package that was due to be redelivered, with no issues. Interlink provide exactly the same facilities as DHL, the only differences are that for Hornby shipments the link comes from Interlink and not Hornby, and via text and not email. Interlink do offer a range of alternative delivery options, including to local convenience stores so you can get it the same day if you or neighbours aren't in. Hardly the "ice age". I also know from experience of running a mail order business that DHL aren't exactly cheap for UK parcels. With free P&P on Hornby orders over £30, I'd rather have the free postage than pay more for an email.

Hornby have changed couriers during their current revival at least once, and perhaps their Internet team haven't got round to integrating the systems. Looking at the orders pages on my Hornby account history, it appears it is designed for some form of integration at a later date.

Yes fine.But that's not quite the point now,is it ? Provided we all know that facility is available...and I for one did not.....then hunky dory,all is well.Nowhere on the Hornby website as far as I can see is that vital piece of information to be seen. I see little reason for not providing e mail information with an appropriate link . Sorry,I don't follow that.I'm dealing with Hornby not Interlink or alternative delivery.

• RMweb Gold

Yes fine.But that's not quite the point now,is it ? Provided we all know that facility is available...and I for one did not.....then hunky dory,all is well.Nowhere on the Hornby website as far as I can see is that vital piece of information to be seen. I see little reason for not providing e mail information with an appropriate link . Sorry,I don't follow that.I'm dealing with Hornby not Interlink or alternative delivery.

Update: Just received a phone call from Interlink Alfreton dept. They have a parcel for me which is unaddressed. Gave them the details.It will be delivered today. Top marks Interlink.Double zero points Hornby.

Thank you for that,Mark. I thought that Hornby would have e mailed details of delivery,considering their brand new state of the art warehousing system. I thought I read somewhere that the customer would be kept informed. Apparently not.At this moment in time I am completely unaware of when it's to be delivered which is an irritating nuisance to say the least. Unclever and frankly sloppy for a company that has a much heralded direct sell approach.It is quite simply not good enough.

Slight point of order Mr H. Didn't Hornby outsource their warehousing and delivery functions to DS? If it is DS' dispatch system, with a third party courier, Hornby may simply not have the details that you are asking for.

• RMweb Gold

Slight point of order Mr H. Didn't Hornby outsource their warehousing and delivery functions to DS? If it is DS' dispatch system, with a third party courier, Hornby may simply not have the details that you are asking for.

Again....who sells the product? DS or Hornby ? The answer to that isn't rocket science. You promise to deliver ? Your responsibility.I have never heard of DS. Why should I have ....no mention is made of any third party arrangements on Hornby's website and I am under no obligation to seek them out.The only obligation I have is to pay for the goods which Hornby and no other party is contractually obliged to deliver.

Again....who sells the product? DS or Hornby ? The answer to that isn't rocket science. You promise to deliver ? Your responsibility.I have never heard of DS. Why should I have ....no mention is made of any third party arrangements on Hornby's website and I am under no obligation to seek them out.The only obligation I have is to pay for the goods which Hornby and no other party is contractually obliged to deliver.

I completely agree with you that Hornby are under an obligation to get your ordered items to you. I am merely pointing out that, if the order is handed to a third party to dispatch, Hornby may not be aware when this has been done. They would therefore be unable to provide the delivery information that you were seeking in your earlier post. 

Mind you, if you read Hornby's own press release, it does rather seem to take a shotgun to my theory's foot!

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-business/county-news/Hornby-completes-move-25847/

• RMweb Gold

I completely agree with you that Hornby are under an obligation to get your ordered items to you. I am merely pointing out that, if the order is handed to a third party to dispatch, Hornby may not be aware when this has been done. They would therefore be unable to provide the delivery information that you were seeking in your earlier post. 

Mind you, if you read Hornby's own press release, it does rather seem to take a shotgun to my theory's foot!

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-business/county-news/Hornby-completes-move-25847/

Well when I can actually manage to access their website.....there being a logjam as a result of Black Friday sales......I intend to pursue the subject with an e mail.I cannot understand in this era of instant electronic communication why it is seemingly beyond endeavour to provide proper up to date information on the progress of my order which when I last managed to access my account registered as "in progress" and being "prepared for dispatch" ( yesterday) .The original e mail was dated Friday.. It is now according to a phone call to Interlink to be delivered between 13:50 and 14:50. It would seem on reflection to me that their system is overstretched and suffering from the obvious pitfalls of outsourcing.

• RMweb Gold

Interlink duly delivered 70043 within their predicted slot. She runs smoothly and pulls well,as with all her older sisters and this time semi-permanently coupled,which is a big plus. The finish ? Hmmm....more matt than the other Hornby Brits which at first gives the impression of a slightly lighter shade...but that's probably subjective. Orange lining ? Maybe slightly thicker but ever so slightly.

Factory code :CHL01.  Yes,I am happy with it. Their first since 70004 about 4 years ago. The Brit remains a cracking model.

• RMweb Gold

Interlink duly delivered 70043 within their predicted slot. She runs smoothly and pulls well,as with all her older sisters and this time semi-permanently coupled,which is a big plus. The finish ? Hmmm....more matt than the other Hornby Brits which at first gives the impression of a slightly lighter shade...but that's probably subjective. Orange lining ? Maybe slightly thicker but ever so slightly.

Factory code :CHL01.  Yes,I am happy with it. Their first since 70004 about 4 years ago. The Brit remains a cracking model.

Don't break it Ian  :jester:  :jester:

Yes Ian all credit to Hornby for getting this model back into production. I'll be interested in buying one, hope it is as well-assembled as the Sanda Kan-built versions. They were pretty well-made but quite fragile, naturally enough with all the fine detail.

Do you remember the Hornby Clan was in some ways even finer... ?

• RMweb Gold

Yes Ian all credit to Hornby for getting this model back into production. I'll be interested in buying one, hope it is as well-assembled as the Sanda Kan-built versions. They were pretty well-made but quite fragile, naturally enough with all the fine detail.

Do you remember the Hornby Clan was in some ways even finer... ?

The original order was placed in Oct. 2014 ! I personally cannot distinguish in quality between the Brit and the Clan.They are both excellent. The Clan now commands high prices on e bay as there hasn't been another production run.

My one niggle with Hornby steam era models atm is the slightly dull and lifeless matt finish BR green.It needs a bit more "life" in it.I refer again to the finish of the Locomotion KGV as an example of what it should be.It only takes the correct varnish.An idea of offering it as an alternative finish on mainstream models might be worth consideration ? Just a thought.

• RMweb Gold

Well when I can actually manage to access their website.....there being a logjam as a result of Black Friday sales......I intend to pursue the subject with an e mail.I cannot understand in this era of instant electronic communication why it is seemingly beyond endeavour to provide proper up to date information on the progress of my order which when I last managed to access my account registered as "in progress" and being "prepared for dispatch" ( yesterday) .The original e mail was dated Friday.. It is now according to a phone call to Interlink to be delivered between 13:50 and 14:50. It would seem on reflection to me that their system is overstretched and suffering from the obvious pitfalls of outsourcing.

The cardboard packaging had two labels affixed,showing source,date of dispatch etc.It was addressed to me and had my post code only on the box not the street/road or house number.Fortunately it did have my telephone number printed on it,which is why Interlink were swiftly able to contact me. As there are at least three other houses nearby with the same postcode that might be considered as confusing to say the very least.As I posted earlier,sloppy....

My one niggle with Hornby steam era models atm is the slightly dull and lifeless matt finish BR green.It needs a bit more "life" in it.I refer again to the finish of the Locomotion KGV as an example of what it should be.It only takes the correct varnish.An idea of offering it as an alternative finish on mainstream models might be worth consideration ? Just a thought.

A good thought. Since the glossy models of yesteryear, there has been a move towards flatter finishes and weathering has increased in popularity. It seems to be to the taste of the great majority. Heljan occasionally produces a glossy finish but it's usually only one version amongst many.

The NRM production of 250 is very small even for these straitened times. I wonder if there were doubts as to how well a glossy finish would sell although someone (SK?) must have thought it worth dipping a toe into the water. The model seems to have sold extremely rapidly, no doubt aided by the contrast with what you accurately describe as the dull and lifeless finish of the main range green models. Most comments seem to have been very favourable.

Gloss varnishing is not the only option, though. Many of Bachmann's finishes are satin or even more matt, yet they are not, as a rule, dull and lifeless.

I hope that someone, somewhere, is paying attention.

• RMweb Gold

A good thought. Since the glossy models of yesteryear, there has been a move towards flatter finishes and weathering has increased in popularity. It seems to be to the taste of the great majority. Heljan occasionally produces a glossy finish but it's usually only one version amongst many.

The NRM production of 250 is very small even for these straitened times. I wonder if there were doubts as to how well a glossy finish would sell although someone (SK?) must have thought it worth dipping a toe into the water. The model seems to have sold extremely rapidly, no doubt aided by the contrast with what you accurately describe as the dull and lifeless finish of the main range green models. Most comments seem to have been very favourable.

Gloss varnishing is not the only option, though. Many of Bachmann's finishes are satin or even more matt, yet they are not, as a rule, dull and lifeless.

I hope that someone, somewhere, is paying attention.

Not,I believe SK

• RMweb Gold

The boiler and footplate lighting looks very bright, almost a different colour to the orange on the tender and cab sides.

Lighting? Didn't realise it had any  :jester:

The lining on the footplate is slight thicker, which is makes it look brighter and the boiler band black lining is very fine compared to some of Hornby's more recent releases.

And the green is darker than it is on the King.

Archived