Britannia Lord Kitchener website exclusive.

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Lining lol dam predictive text on my phone haha. Different factory to the King?

Yes CHL compared to SEN for the King

Look forward to receiving mine from Hatton's, certainly looks the part. Incidently, did you get the bag of coal like the previous Britannia releases ??? :jester:  

Sadly no coal (wasn't any with the Sound release either), big bag of detail parts though.

Earl Haig is a very nice model and mine ran very straight and smoothly. However last night it would still not pull my favourite rake of coaches round the layout. I had a wee peep inside to check that the wheel bearings had been lubricated - yes they had - and I spotted a new brass final drive gear on the driving wheels.

I checked the wipers on the tender wheels. No problem there although there was only one screw present to hold the tender body on the chassis.  Also some one in China had damaged the corresponding brake shoe which I reattached with Butanone.

I was wondering whether Earl Haig was lighter than previous Hornby offerings and started to compare it with William Wordsworth. It became immediately apparent that Hornby have copied Bachmann and inserted a wee spring (and washer) in the front bogie assembly. On my model there is insufficient space for both the washer and the spring such that the front pair of driving wheels are jacked up off the rails. I have removed the spring and can report that the running is still perfect and better still there is full traction and the model compares very favourably with earlier Britannias.

22698300723_27806c38ed_c.jpg

Hornby Earl Haig - front bogie spring

22698303943_796a70dfd1_c.jpg

Hornby Earl Haig - front bogie left, William Wordsworth right

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Indeed, unless of course they have weathered this loco and that is included in the price. If not I would like to see their justification to an increase more than Hornby's RRP ......

They are trying it on .We shall see.Punters are more than usually susceptible at this time of the year.Maybe they'll snare a few of the more gullible. Meanwhile ....pass on this one and wait for prices on e bay to give an indication of what they might truly fetch. Brand new Hornby stock seems to appear at vastly reduced prices within a couple of weeks of release atm. The same scenario is being played out with the Silver A4's.

• RMweb Gold

Blu-tac is tacky, just shy of 40 quid mark up is profiteering - what do they think these Brits are, Exeter?

The art of profiteering is being cultivated by more than a few retailers. A new trend is being set,it seems,particularly in regard to special commissions,notably "Locomotion" releases. The two Brits are a new departure,particularly as there are quite a number of Hornby Concession retail outlets who,theoretically,should sell at Hornby's RRP,without Rails Astro Markup. :stinker:

• RMweb Gold

The art of profiteering is being cultivated by more than a few retailers. A new trend is being set,it seems,particularly in regard to special commissions,notably "Locomotion" releases. The two Brits are a new departure,particularly as there are quite a number of Hornby Concession retail outlets who,theoretically,should sell at Hornby's RRP,without Rails Astro Markup. :stinker:

Good Job, those in the know got these Brits at less than RRP.. direct from the Red Corner ;)

• RMweb Gold

Although the Brits don't show "in stock" but rather available for pre-order, Hattons, at least are offering them for 110 quid apiece

Odd.Neither Hattons or Rails are so-called "Concessions" oulets.Locomotion and Chester Model Centre are both concessions outlets yet the Brits do not appear atm on their respective websites

Still no sign of the two concession Britannias at Hattons, I weakened and bought Lord Kitchener from Kernows whom I have always found reliable, and it was £117 delivered by air to NZ usually in 6-10 working days   unlikely at Xmas though. .

What surprises me is the range of prices asked for recent models, such as from Rails of Sheffield, Hattons, some smaller sellers.

I can understand Hattons asking top dollar for a Hornby King, but not sure why Rails is sometimes quite cheap and sometimes not e g £169 A4 Silver Jubilee engines.

All a bit mysterious, probably a capitalist plot to grind we workers back into the dust. Oh, no, wait a minute....  we don't actually manufacture and assemble things at Binns Road anymore...

Perhaps prices are set by an algorithm combining mood of retail manager with a  random number generator...?

In any event it looks as if Hornby have got the assembly and manufacture of complex and expensive models like the Britannia going again, it was always an outstanding model, like the Clan, good on them!   I don't want an Exeter or Bude, having 2 of the former (no offers for my spare even at £135 at the height of Ebay madness, locally here in NZ)  and for Bude I just swap the tender from s21C157 for a nice 'British Railways' version.... and Manston?  Not sure if I want to join the Hornby club just for one purchase.

I am curious about the number of Haigs and Kitcheners produced though...

The Britannia is definitely greener, when you look at them with a Mark One Eyeball.

I look forward to seeing weathered version of your Earl Haig. I already have my editing tools at the ready...  :)

Why is it that whenever I see Haig's name I think of the very important book (for me in my tender youth) 'First Day on the Somme'?   Where he was inspecting the troops before that fateful assault.

Archived