Britannia Lord Kitchener website exclusive.

Ian Hargrave

Still no sign of the two concession Britannias at Hattons, I weakened and bought Lord Kitchener from Kernows whom I have always found reliable, and it was £117 delivered by air to NZ usually in 6-10 working days unlikely at Xmas though. .

What surprises me is the range of prices asked for recent models, such as from Rails of Sheffield, Hattons, some smaller sellers.

I can understand Hattons asking top dollar for a Hornby King, but not sure why Rails is sometimes quite cheap and sometimes not e g £169 A4 Silver Jubilee engines.

All a bit mysterious, probably a capitalist plot to grind we workers back into the dust. Oh, no, wait a minute.... we don't actually manufacture and assemble things at Binns Road anymore...

Perhaps prices are set by an algorithm combining mood of retail manager with a random number generator...?

In any event it looks as if Hornby have got the assembly and manufacture of complex and expensive models like the Britannia going again, it was always an outstanding model, like the Clan, good on them! I don't want an Exeter or Bude, having 2 of the former (no offers for my spare even at £135 at the height of Ebay madness, locally here in NZ) and for Bude I just swap the tender from s21C157 for a nice 'British Railways' version.... and Manston? Not sure if I want to join the Hornby club just for one purchase.

I am curious about the number of Haigs and Kitcheners produced though...

A quick update re availability of Earl Haig and Lord Kitchener. I again spoke to Hatton's yesterday, I was again told that my pre-order for both loco's was assured and that they were expecting 24 of each model.
Unfortunately, they are unable to give a delivery date from Hornby. I was then told to keep ringing them daily to check. Have sent an e-mail to Hornby to see if they can be more specific. I don't want to cancel my order, but then again I don't want to miss out either...

A quick update re availability of Earl Haig and Lord Kitchener. I again spoke to Hatton's yesterday, I was again told that my pre-order for both loco's was assured and that they were expecting 24 of each model.

Unfortunately, they are unable to give a delivery date from Hornby. I was then told to keep ringing them daily to check. Have sent an e-mail to Hornby to see if they can be more specific. I don't want to cancel my order, but then again I don't want to miss out either...

I just got an Email from Hattons apologising that the R3306 Silver Link model I bought off them a week ago (3 in stock) could not proceed because 'there were none on the shelf'.   

They asked whether I would like to buy R3307 Quicksilver  which was quite funny really since I had bought this off them last week too.

I suggested they source R3306 Silver Link from another retailer to fulfill their obligation after I had paid and been given a picking number, or refund me + sufficient to buy elsewhere.

I am not optomistic, and if I had pre-ordered a Haig or Kitchener I would have no confidence in their ability to supply, if they have but 24 of each.

I just got an Email from Hattons apologising that the R3306 Silver Link model I bought off them a week ago (3 in stock) could not proceed because 'there were none on the shelf'.   

They asked whether I would like to buy R3307 Quicksilver  which was quite funny really since I had bought this off them last week too.

I suggested they source R3306 Silver Link from another retailer to fulfill their obligation after I had paid and been given a picking number, or refund me + sufficient to buy elsewhere.

I am not optomistic, and if I had pre-ordered a Haig or Kitchener I would have no confidence in their ability to supply, if they have but 24 of each.

Thanks Black Bear, 

I am still kind of surprised by the failure of the Hattons stock number and purchase system,  in other words, their  complete failure to supply goods after purchase price has been paid.  I think there are laws against this which require 'reasonable' effort to supply..  but they tend to think of 6 months delay as 'reasonable'  Not I !!!!

I can only guess but there may have been several purchases in a sort time, and the 'picking' system did or does not put things in strict order, I bought from memory at 3am UK time so doubt they were cash sales messing up the computer stock numbers, and even then, it shouldn't happen.

Actually while I remain angry with Hattons I can also say that a few sellers are reliably good, but many including Hornby are intermittently very poor, so it's always a risk.

Hornby have a habit of packing single engines in HUGE cartons with VAST amounts of polystyrene pellets, which are ecologically so bad that they are criminal, they do this regularly and being in NZ where we depend somewhat on clean seas, well, I just won't buy off them anymore, I have advised them of my dislike of polystyrene pellets, also their cartons are packed by complete amateurs with weak tape barely holding things closed, and crush marks everywhere, but it continues.

The combination of good price and competent supply and packing remains elusive,  Track Shack were good for a Silver Fox model (thank you Ian Hargrave), Cheltenham Models also (thank you toboldlygo), Rails are usually good, sometimes spectacularly bad, as with Hattons and Hornby,  

Kernows are always good, but often a bit high in price.  Just my opinion, ought to write it elsewhere !

The Hornby Britannia's Earl Haig and Lord Kitchener are Website and Concession Exclusives. At Chester Model Centre we have sock of both locomotives and all four Silver Jubilee A4's.

Thanks Black Bear, 

I am still kind of surprised by the failure of the Hattons stock number and purchase system,  in other words, their  complete failure to supply goods after purchase price has been paid.  I think there are laws against this which require 'reasonable' effort to supply..  but they tend to think of 6 months delay as 'reasonable'  Not I !!!!

I can only guess but there may have been several purchases in a sort time, and the 'picking' system did or does not put things in strict order, I bought from memory at 3am UK time so doubt they were cash sales messing up the computer stock numbers, and even then, it shouldn't happen.

Actually while I remain angry with Hattons I can also say that a few sellers are reliably good, but many including Hornby are intermittently very poor, so it's always a risk.

Hornby have a habit of packing single engines in HUGE cartons with VAST amounts of polystyrene pellets, which are ecologically so bad that they are criminal, they do this regularly and being in NZ where we depend somewhat on clean seas, well, I just won't buy off them anymore, I have advised them of my dislike of polystyrene pellets, also their cartons are packed by complete amateurs with weak tape barely holding things closed, and crush marks everywhere, but it continues.

The combination of good price and competent supply and packing remains elusive,  Track Shack were good for a Silver Fox model (thank you Ian Hargrave), Cheltenham Models also (thank you toboldlygo), Rails are usually good, sometimes spectacularly bad, as with Hattons and Hornby,  

Kernows are always good, but often a bit high in price.  Just my opinion, ought to write it elsewhere !

I am in Canada and received Earl Haig direct from Hornby 3 weeks ago. It was packed in a custom cardboard mailer only slightly larger than the loco box and was received with absolutely no damage to the box or loco. The loco cost me GBP108 with free courier shipping so I am very pleased with the the product and service Hornby provides.

Steve

Model Railway Imports Canada

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Black Bear, 

For the record it wasn't Cheltemham Models, it was Hereford Model Centre - Rob

Ah sorry, Cheltenham, Hereford, all the same really.... :)

Also for the record Hattons have been extremely apologetic and polite and have refunded my money and given me links to two retailers with R3306 2509 Silver Link models for retail sale at £134 and £130 respectively, 

www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/Hornby-r3306-the-silver-jubilees-a4-class-2509-silver-link

and

www.hobb-e-mail.co.uk/Hornby-r3306-new.html

However, back to Britannias, I have attempted to render the slightly darker BR green of Kitchener in a photo which may appear soon in the 'Best Ever' thread, and toyed with your side-on view of Haig, although yet to do much to it..     Lovely models like the previous Britannias.

I am in Canada and received Earl Haig direct from Hornby 3 weeks ago. It was packed in a custom cardboard mailer only slightly larger than the loco box and was received with absolutely no damage to the box or loco. The loco cost me GBP108 with free courier shipping so I am very pleased with the the product and service Hornby provides.

Steve

Model Railway Imports Canada

I don't know why Hornby send single items to me in cartons which would hold twelve items of the size. They did it once, full of foam pellets and very lucky to arrive intact,and I thought it poor, but when they did it twice....   these were S15s from memory. About 2-3 months ago.  

The flimsy lightweight cartons were the size of a 40lb box of apples, or 2 ft x 18 in x 18 in approx in my old-fashioned measure, hardly at all closed with the lightest of tape.   Quite quaint I thought, that a large company learning how to sell things would display less skill than a backyard dealer. 

I too was impressed with the packaging for Earl Haig. However I would observe that since the purchase of the Britannia the degree of packaging received from Hornby has steadily reduced as Christmas has approached.  First I had a big box stuffed with polystyrene quavers, then the quavers were replaced with three of four air bags dropped on top of the boxes (coaches), finally two coaches arrived wrapped in the smallest piece of bubble wrap ever, rattling around in a cardboard wrap more suited to a loco box.  All (well mostly) arrived in one piece so that was good!

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Just had notification from Hattons this morning, apparently Hornby are unable to supply either Earl Haig or Lord Kitchener to them as this item is solely a website/concession oulet release, curious considering other non-concession dealers appear to have had them in stock but are now sold out.

This is becoming a bit of a habit with Hattons, it occured last year with the main range P2 and W/C Exeter. In future, I will definately think twice before pre-ordering with them again......

• RMweb Gold

Just had notification from Hattons this morning, apparently Hornby are unable to supply either Earl Haig or Lord Kitchener to them as this item is solely a website/concession oulet release, curious considering other non-concession dealers appear to have had them in stock but are now sold out.

This is becoming a bit of a habit with Hattons, it occured last year with the main range P2 and W/C Exeter. In future, I will definately think twice before pre-ordering with them again......

I am sorry to read your post.You are yet another victim of Hattonspeak.I think I posted a while back on the curious situation of a concessions only model being available on general release.It appears that someone somwhere is 'telling stories' and misleading people whether intentionally or otherwise.

They are available on e bay and from Chester Models (who also have an e bay presence) Locomotion at Shildon are also concessions stockists,so you could give Sandra a ring ? Good hunting!

I had the same e-mail but I don't think this is a 'Hattons' issue as a few non concession Hornby retailers were expecting them, and Kernow Models, who are not a Hornby concession agent, showed both Lord Kitchener and Earl Haig as 'in stock' in early December, whether they actually got them would be interesting to hear. This looks more like a Hornby issue.

edit: just saw that robmcg advised in an earlier post that he received one from Kernow so they must have received them.

• RMweb Gold

Hattons were offering these for sale at prices well below the going rate.Rails want well over that ....so who exactly supplies them ?

Hattons have form in offering for sale items they fail to supply...at least this time they have given the correct reason for that ....except that other vendors do not have concessionary status. Irrational and nonsensical.Who gets to sell ? Serendipity.com.

I had the same e-mail but I don't think this is a 'Hattons' issue as a few non concession Hornby retailers were expecting them, and Kernow Models, who are not a Hornby concession agent, showed both Lord Kitchener and Earl Haig as 'in stock' in early December, whether they actually got them would be interesting to hear. This looks more like a Hornby issue.

edit: just saw that robmcg advised in an earlier post that he received one from Kernow so they must have received them.

Kernow did have them pre-Christmas but have long sold out. I have been advised by another dealer that more will be on the way with availability from Hornby direct.

Just maybe, Hornby got wind that that Hattons were offering both variants for £110 plus P+P and decided not to supply them for undercutting the RRP of £129.99. Just a thought !!!! 

• RMweb Gold

Kernow did have them pre-Christmas but have long sold out. I have been advised by another dealer that more will be on the way with availability from Hornby direct.

Just maybe, Hornby got wind that that Hattons were offering both variants for £110 plus P+P and decided not to supply them for undercutting the RRP of £129.99. Just a thought !!!!

I had wondered that myself....a logical train of thought....excuse the pun.

• RMweb Gold

Assuming you're a Hornby club member, which frankly pays for itself within a couple of purchases, the generally free p&p plus 10% discount makes items competitive relative to the hattons price.

No,sorry,it does definitely not.The 10% discount does not apply in the case of Concessions models.I paid the web price of ,I think,in the region of £129.Club membership voucher not applicable in any case.

• RMweb Gold

No,sorry,it does definitely not.The 10% discount does not apply in the case of Concessions models.I paid the web price of ,I think,in the region of £129.Club membership voucher not applicable in any case.

Check again Ian, the 10% discount did apply to the Britannia's, as well as most of the Website/Concession Exclusives. It's only the Club Exclusives that the 10% discount doesn't apply to (i.e Manston) 

Archived