BRM January 2016 + FREE DVD!

SteveCole

I'd definitely agree that the 'cleaned up' design of the layout articles is a very welcome development - a clearer, more mature and classy frame that does justice to the (always high) quality photography.

Congratulations to Ben and the team on this - will the new look gradually spread throughout the other areas of BRM?

Alan

Thank you for the positive comments above, I'm pleased it's finding favour. Ben and the design team have spent quite a bit of time developing it, we did solicit opinions of some readers too back at Peterborough show to get some input on font styles, size and spacing. The layout articles are the first element to see the re-design and yes the new style will be extended to other sections of the magazine over the next few months.

My subscription copy arrived yesterday without kit or DVD. I understand from posts above that the kit is actually a download from the DVD (which didn't seem very obvious from the printed matter I have read so far) but without the DVD to download it from ..............

Incidentally the mag shows no signs of ever having had a DVD attached (and the bag was still well sealed) which suggests that Warner's printing division isn't maintaining the quality control it should be.

• RMweb Premium

I've now read the paper copy and watched the DVD. It's another excellent edition. Although i've been modelling for many years, it is suprising just how much you can learn, for example, look at the DVD and see how to get your steel rule in just the right place to cut.

• Administrators

I'd definitely agree that the 'cleaned up' design of the layout articles is a very welcome development - a clearer, more mature and classy frame that does justice to the (always high) quality photography.

Congratulations to Ben and the team on this - will the new look gradually spread throughout the other areas of BRM?

Alan

It will spread - I saw the first of my build articles in the new format this week and the first impression was, "Wow, that looks so much cleaner and more modern." It doesn't look like a model railway magazine but something far more sophisticated.

One things for sure, the pages are going to get a lot less shouty.

Just got a copy. You've certainly done Chris Trafford proud with the pics of South Town.

BUT-

RUSTON & HORNSBY 0-6-0 tank?

That goes down as the editorial clanger of the year so far.......    Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn.  Without looking for mine I think it even says so on the box.   Still, the article shows what to look for, though a comment about how much chip clearance there is in the smokebox would have been useful.  I'll have the copy on the workbench as mine gets built.

Les

Still having no luck downloading the building on Android tablet(Fire), laptop or Linx tablet. The link to download the building from the digital mag takes me to the Pocketmags site but won't go any further when I click the N/2mm link.

Any ideas?

• Administrators

Just got a copy. You've certainly done Chris Trafford proud with the pics of South Town.

BUT-

RUSTON & HORNSBY 0-6-0 tank?

That goes down as the editorial clanger of the year so far.......    Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn.  Without looking for mine I think it even says so on the box.   Still, the article shows what to look for, though a comment about how much chip clearance there is in the smokebox would have been useful.  I'll have the copy on the workbench as mine gets built.

Les

Clang!

You are correct of course. I've even writen RS&H in the list of parts so quite how that one escaped all of us I don't know. Just be assured that the kit is rather better than my proof reading...

Chip clearances - quite a bit but over the top of the circuit board in the front of the boiler. I'm going to be looking at fitting some sound in there in the near future as we've been given a suitable chip for review. Can't see why there would be a problem with any chip unless it's got Zero 1 stamped on it. Squeezing a speaker in will be more fun, especially on a completed model. I fancy the bunker would be a handy spot for this but I don't think I can get in there now.

Phil

The 2mm scale Kingswear layout is fantastic. Having seen it in the flesh, it really does stand out when it is exhibited. Mind you I am a bit biased as my parents used to live in Dartmouth, so I looked out over to Kingswear when I visited them. I also remember traveling down the line during the few years it was BR and diesel operated  . The article shows it of as well as it can be done. I thought the photos were 'paintings' not photos, which actually adds to the artistic atmosphere of the layout.

Still puzzles me why the magazine needs to be bagged. Current copy of Railway Modeller with free Metcalfe kit attached to front cover did not have a plastic wrapping. Can't see why anyone would want to pinch the CD. Much more likely to pinch the card kit. Whatever marketing says(it tends to be the loud ones who get noticed while the rest of us happily get on with our reading and modelling), I think that most 'chance' buyers will buy a magazine if they can see in it first.

The 2mm scale Kingswear layout is fantastic. Having seen it in the flesh, it really does stand out when it is exhibited. Mind you I am a bit biased as my parents used to live in Dartmouth, so I looked out over to Kingswear when I visited them. I also remember traveling down the line during the few years it was BR and diesel operated  . The article shows it of as well as it can be done. I thought the photos were 'paintings' not photos, which actually adds to the artistic atmosphere of the layout.

Still puzzles me why the magazine needs to be bagged. Current copy of Railway Modeller with free Metcalfe kit attached to front cover did not have a plastic wrapping. Can't see why anyone would want to pinch the CD. Much more likely to pinch the card kit. Whatever marketing says(it tends to be the loud ones who get noticed while the rest of us happily get on with our reading and modelling), I think that most 'chance' buyers will buy a magazine if they can see in it first.

My copy was un-bagged as were the rest of the ones in the newsagent?

I'm glad there is space for a chip above the RSH circuit board, as when I  bought the chip specified in the spec sheet which came with the 0-6-0ST chassis, I failed to notice I'd been sent a chip with a 6-pin plug and wires rather than a direct plug-in variety.

The pics of Kingswear are stunning. The layout itself is also visually stunning.  Nice to see also an admission that the running hasn't been good- indeed having now seen it at shows three times I was beginning to wonder if it is one of those layouts I jinx by standing in front of it... Even at Doncaster I've not seen a train make it from one end to the other without derailing.

Les

Whatever marketing says(it tends to be the loud ones who get noticed while the rest of us happily get on with our reading and modelling), I think that most 'chance' buyers will buy a magazine if they can see in it first.

It's not what marketing says but the commercial reality that there is a propensity for higher sales with bagged editions. But then we've been through this discussion many times before and I thought there was an agreement not to re-hash it again on the forum.

I actually prefer a bagged edition as you know you will get a clean copy, not a grubby thumbed one. And the contents are usually emblazoned all over the cover so you get a good idea of what is inside. Besides they are also usually listed and dissected here in detail.

G.

Julie,

I had no issue downloading both the OO and the N versions. I'm using the Firefox browser. Also, check your Downloads file, make suer it didn't actually download and just not open automatically after doing so.

Jim F

The latest edition looks great, very fresh!

Kingswear is just superb too!

I read with interest the 'industry insiders'' thoughts and they seemed like a continuation of what some were discussing a month or so ago - myself included (here, there and everywhere). But I, for one, dont agree that railway modelling is now just for us middle-aged types, its only that, for various reasons, kids arnt engaging quite as much as they once were. Its easier for many parents to use tablets (the electronic type) and the like as 'babysitters' than it is to have messy, 'making' play etc - even if the kids love Thomas the Tank Engine. As I have said before many youngsters like building kits/model-making and many of them have had one or more visits to a restored or preserved railway (and love the experience). I see - somewhat optimisitically perhaps - us middle aged types as the 'custodians' of/for railway modelling until the younger enthusiasts get here/get around to model making. If some parents are being lazy in supporting children with hobbies, their hobbies (ie train-sets being turned into layouts etc), then perhaps as railway modellers we are the same, perhaps, dare I say, some of us are all being a little lazy too? After all how many modellers care if the hobby continues or not, when they are gone/given up railway modelling?

There is hope though, with the introduction of such activities as 'Forest Schools' et al, thus getting kids away from too much 'computer time'.

Perhaps the mainstream manufacturers will argue differently to me (and my aforementioned comments) with falling sales of train-sets and train-set add-ons??

Happy modelling and happy Christmas to all!

Kindest regards,

CME

I'm afraid I found the details of the card kit rather ambiguous, and the DVD making things no clearer.

The statement about 'this month's free card kit, the first in a series of four' implies that each magazine will have a complete kit.

When I looked at the three card sheets, I was wondering where the roof and windows were, and what the lean to was. I thought there had been a mistake.

I downloaded the kit from the net, and found it the same.

So it appears each mag will have a mixture of kits, and that building cannot commence for four months.

Has someone at BRM been on the loopy juice?

Archived