BRM January 2016 + FREE DVD!

SteveCole

I'm afraid I found the details of the card kit rather ambiguous, and the DVD making things no clearer.

The statement about 'this month's free card kit, the first in a series of four' implies that each magazine will have a complete kit.

When I looked at the three card sheets, I was wondering where the roof and windows were, and what the lean to was. I thought there had been a mistake.

I downloaded the kit from the net, and found it the same.

So it appears each mag will have a mixture of kits, and that building cannot commence for four months.

Has someone at BRM been on the loopy juice?

This so called free kit has been a complete fowl up, complete with a large quantity of Bird excrement!

The silent response to this kit issue is deafening.

I suspect just a marketing ploy. Those who subscribe will get each one of all 4 parts of the kit. Those, like myself, who buy on a issue by issue basis, will now have to buy at least 4 issues, to get the whole kit, if it is wanted.

Saying you were getting 'part of a free kit' might have put a few off.

Jim F

The silent response to this kit issue is deafening.

I suspect just a marketing ploy. Those who subscribe will get each one of all 4 parts of the kit. Those, like myself, who buy on a issue by issue basis, will now have to buy at least 4 issues, to get the whole kit, if it is wanted.

Saying you were getting 'part of a free kit' might have put a few off.

Jim F

I did try and clearly show what was included in each part previously.

I believe a few subscribers, on receipt of the mag, have been calling the office to ask where the building kit is. It's a download from the Free DVD.

Thanks to Justin at Model Railway Scenery for working with us to produce this kit, an ideal addition to all those Christmas train sets! The kit comes in four parts over the next four issues as shown below with each of the parts containing useful contentfor modellers even if they're not building the kit as suggested.

post-1-0-33108700-1449677410.jpg

When I bought January's magazine from WH smith I was expecting there to be a free card kit inside. Reading this thread it would seem that this is not the case. If I have to download a file then print it and glue the results to backing card, how can this be free?  

This whole thing is rather ambiguous. 

It is clearly stated that there are four card kits being issued over four issues, not four lots of cards to make one kit.

If the rest are downloads only, the whole exercise is a bit of a con. I don't have a printer or the necessary card.

Also, mine came with three cards, so no need to download. This contradicts the statement in the previous (but one) post.

So please clarify

Card or download? 

One kit in four issues?

• RMweb Gold

The post that Andy has just done states quite clearly:-

PART 1 is in January which includes the walls and pavements.

Part 2 is in Feb and includes Windows, roof and Interiors.

Part 3 is March includes fence, tarmac and backscene

Part 4 is Spring issue and includes detail & Decoration parts

It also states the kit  and  it's a download from the DVD, for those who get the digital edition, there is a link which takes you to the download page.

So you buy the next 4 issues of BRM and you will be able to build the this ONE complete station building kit.

In the instructions it has a template that you print off to glue to the backs of the walls for added strength OR to make it even stronger you can glue the templates to 0.7 to 1mm thick before cutting the templates out and then gluing to the back of the walls.

I can't see anywhere that it states "four card kits being issued over four issues"

What it says is "the kit comes in FOUR parts over the next FOUR issues"

I do think someone has slipped up here and caused ill will. I have not bought a copy of BRM for some time and bought one this afternoon in Sainsburys on a whim. Certainly there is nothing on the packaging to suggest it is only part of a kit, it was only when I looked at RM Web to see if anybody else had part of the kit missing that I realised what the situation was. I do not think it would encourage someone who has decided to take the hobby up after Christmas to buy another copy of BRM as the packaging was misleading as to what you where getting.

I have always shied away from magazine issues in plastic bags and sadly this experience only reinforces that opinion.

I do think someone has slipped up here and caused ill will. I have not bought a copy of BRM for some time and bought one this afternoon in Sainsburys on a whim. Certainly there is nothing on the packaging to suggest it is only part of a kit, it was only when I looked at RM Web to see if anybody else had part of the kit missing that I realised what the situation was. I do not think it would encourage someone who has decided to take the hobby up after Christmas to buy another copy of BRM as the packaging was misleading as to what you where getting.I have always shied away from magazine issues in plastic bags and sadly this experience only reinforces that opinion.

I agree with the above statement. I also think that magazine's over sell the contents by what is printed in bold print on their covers!

Julie

So if I've read the above correctly, there was no card kit inside the magazine at all, just a download which is of no use to anyone without access to a decent printer. (i.e Me!).  Quite disappointing as I bought the copy to have an extra building to fill out my layout. In future I'd recommend BRM state clearly that there is no free card kit in future. 

It also states the kit  and  it's a download from the DVD, for those who get the digital edition, there is a link which takes you to the download page.

So you buy the next 4 issues of BRM and you will be able to build the this ONE complete station building kit.

In the instructions it has a template that you print off to glue to the backs of the walls for added strength OR to make it even stronger you can glue the templates to 0.7 to 1mm thick before cutting the templates out and then gluing to the back of the walls.

I can't see anywhere that it states "four card kits being issued over four issues"

Page 42 of the January magazine states '...this month's free card kit, the first in a series of four kits that you can build into an impressive diorama.'

That seems clear enough to me.

• RMweb Gold

Page 42 of the January magazine states '...this month's free card kit, the first in a series of four kits that you can build into an impressive diorama.'

obviously it wasn't clear enough for you.

I did start my post with "the post Andy has just done"

I didn't say anything about page 42 of the Jan magazine as we can't see that!

obviously it wasn't clear enough for you.

I did start my post with "the post Andy has just done"

I didn't say anything about page 42 of the Jan magazine as we can't see that!

I don't understand your post.

Who is this Andy? Whatever he may have said to explain the cock up, if, like me, you bought the magazine you received three printed cards, and a it clearly stating what I posted above.

I presume you, and all on this thread have the magazine.

It will be interesting to see what the next issue contains. I will be expecting cards, not a link to download.

That presupposes you had bought the January issue. Nothing to suggest on the cover of the February issue to suggest you where buying part two of a building kit and I believe looking at the cover of the February issue it is a completely reasonable assumption that you where getting a complete building kit. I am not suggesting for a minute that BRM set out to deliberately mislead people but there should really have been something on the packaging to tell people it was part two of a four part card kit. Somebody did not think things through.

• RMweb Gold

Wow, I'm completely stumped?

Maybe I've just built too many Scalescenes Kits and bought Hornby Magazines which have the free Scalescenes kits in them( I don't think they've ever received such comments about having a free cardboard kit but only supplying the printed sheets or the download link)

Hey Ho must be me.

I didn't know buying the magazine from a shop it came with the 3 printed cards, I just got the digital version and used the download link to print the sheets out and will glue them to card when I get round to building it.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Just been to the website page where the first part was downloaded from to get part two now that my February sub copy has arrived and there is nothing there.....

The versions of parts 1 & 2 of the building kit in the February issue is an admission that the critics are right!

The versions on the February disk are 4mm and for people who are not graphics professionals printing them out in 7mm scale without access to an A3 colour printer will be difficult or costly if they use a professional print service!

Printing in 2mm scale is much more straight forward.

Julie

I bought the magazine from WH smiths. It did not come with any printed cards. Should it have? and if so, how can I go about getting the missing sheets (other than a download which is of no use to me).

Somehow I missed Andy's post of 9 Dec.. If I had seen it, I would not have posted what I did on 6 Jan. It does clarify the offer.

Traction, reading the line (which I also saw in the magazine) that Srat'71 quotes, it does give the impression there will be 4 kits, to make up a diorama. That is how I took it, when I 1st read it. I realize that is not the case, but to me, one structure, even with a bit of street pavement, really doesn't make up a what I would call a 'diorama'. A small scene, perhaps.

My suspicions...

I suspect the modellers on staff at BRM would have been fine with having the complete kit as one download, and the construction articles spread over 4 issues.

I suspect the marketing types thought it a nifty idea to have 4 downloads, so folks who buy the mag issue by issue would be more inclined to buy 4 issues instead of maybe only 1 or 2.

As for the 'Free Kit' thing, yes, one would think the paper issue came with the kit inside. But it is still free, as a download. We who get the digital edition would have been left out if it were a actual item in the magazine. Julie mentioned that RM gives you a actual kit. True, IF you get the printed edition. But myself, and many others, lose out there.

The actual use of a few cents' worth of ink to print out the kit might negate the 'Free' title. Titling it as a Free Download kit might have made more sense.

As for me, at least the main structure, less roof and windows, was all in the 1st download. I have roofing from another kit I can use, and can do my own windows, if I decide not to but the Feb issue. And I have no need at all for parts 3 and 4, so won't feel I need to buy those issues.

Jim F

ps: Just going back to the main RMWeb page, the banner ad for the Feb issue states "Free DVD & Building Kits (plural). definitely could be confusing.

I understood it was part 1 of 4 for the complete building. However, the dvd with my magazine only had a link and you could not download the kit from the dvd. Not a problem as I got the printed card copies with the magazine in the bag but a point of confusion, at least for me.

It also doesn't bother me having to wait for the next parts as I've butchered it into low relief so it gives me more time to think about what I'm doing with it.

It has got me back into modelling and cracking on with my photo/test plank and I may even buy some more buildings in matching brick from the same supplier, so it's still been a positive for me.

Archived