BRM January 2016 + FREE DVD!

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

There maybe confusion and doubts, but it builds into a really nice model.

To say it's free as well, not bad at all.

I have the digital copy so printed the sheets out and glued them to some white 1250micron card, I think it was picture mounting card from Hobby craft, had it ages.

The internal walls that can be glued to 0.7 - 1mm thick card, I did actually glue to 1mm thick card, all window openings were cut out in the external and internal walls.

I printed the window sheet out onto an A4 sticky label sheet and cut out all the openings on the doors and windows then stuck this to some OHP film,left it a while for the adhesive to go off a bit then cut the windows out and glued to the inside walls making sure the windows were lined up OK.

One window is covered in glue on the inside, messy individual that I am, I could use the plywood texture paper in the kit and board it over though, nothing quite like hiding my bodge!

post-6745-0-81235300-1452437835_thumb.jpg

Hopefully you can see the down pipes, I've glued on, this was just 1mm thick card painted black, just gives the model a bit more depth.

post-6745-0-09956900-1452437861_thumb.jpg

In the instructions it says fold the guttering in half and glue together, once dry cut off the excess white part.

I left the white part on but coloured it black then glued it to the roof on both sides of the roof, once dry I curled it up to make it look less flat and more of the half round guttering that you get, seems to work OK.

post-6745-0-08054500-1452437929_thumb.jpg

Once the windows on the OHP sheet were glued to the inside of the external walls I glued the internal walls over the top, so it leaves a nice clean interior.

I also added some 1mm card covered in black paper to the roof.

The tabs were glued to the roof then these extra internal roof parts were glued over the top.

I actually cut all the tabs off the side walls, as I was using some 1mm thick card for the internal walls it made it thick enough just to glue the walls together at each end.

I didn't like the way the chimney stacks turned out, so I used some card cut to the shape of the chimney roof mounts and glued enough together so that the brick printed paper would just wrap all the way round.

This means it's solid and less white showing as the paper just wraps all the way round, did the same thing for the chimney stacks to.

post-6745-0-22918600-1452438228_thumb.jpg

Just waiting for part 3 so I can do the internal stuff now.

As I've put internal walls on the main structure, it will probably mean trimming the internal walls down a little to fit, but that's not an issue and cutting parts down to fit is much easier than trying to extend them.

I have built the lean to, well its glued to the 1250 mount board and cut out, don't know if I will glue it to this building or not, it could be used a a lean to shed against a wall or something, choices choices!

Cheers

Ian

That looks good. I may have a go tonight.

Have spent a lot of time on this, and must admit your attempt puts mine to shame.

I found all the cutting rather tedious and it made my wrist ache.

Not too impressed with it as it looks like a 3 dimensional photograph.

I'll matt down the shiny finish (maybe an advantage of printing your own)

The card sheets are too thin to give a rigid structure, and need gluing to a backing sheet as you did.

Can it be downloaded 00 gauge? If so I might give it another go.

• RMweb Gold

Yes it can be downloaded in N, OO and O

May need an A3 printer for O though.

Like I said I printed the sheets out then glued them (pritt stick) to some white 1250miron thick mount board.

When building other kits it's just as good to glue them to 1mm thick card.

I then cut out the windows and doors.

The internal walls which are a pale yellow colour I glued to some 1mm thick grey fibre cardboard and again cut out all doors and windows.

The windows I printed out onto a A4 sticky label sheet cut out all the windows ato leave the frame, takes time and a steady hand.

These were then stuck to OHP film and the squares then cut out and glued to the backs of the external walls.

The internal walls were then glued over the top.

To get the corners looking a little better I trimmed the internal walls down by 1mm(these are the front and back long walls) so that the 1mm thick internal end walls would sit in the rebate, with the external wall sitting better up against the sides.

Hope that makes sense.

It just made it look and feel a bit stronger and it meant I could cut of the tabs holding the side walls to the front and back walls.

Cheers

Ian

Tried to print them off on my daughter's printer, but not having much joy.

The prints are under size (203/220), and have regular stripes down them.

I've looked at all the settings, but can't fathom what's wrong. I'll wait for my daughter to come home.

I would like to do a good one of this, as there is a nice spot for it on the layout.

Addition.

I managed to print off the sheets and will now build it following traction's advice.

The printing problem was down to her Apple Mac's differences to my Windows 10.

It's because the image is being stretched within the package you are loading it into to enable printing. Try other packages, but do test print in black & white to save printing costs. When you get an image without the stripes, then retry printing in colour.

You will get better images using laser type printers.

Julie

• RMweb Gold

Tried to print them off on my daughter's printer, but not having much joy.

The prints are under size (203/220), and have regular stripes down them.

I've looked at all the settings, but can't fathom what's wrong. I'll wait for my daughter to come home.

I would like to do a good one of this, as there is a nice spot for it on the layout.

Addition.

I managed to print off the sheets and will now build it following traction's advice.

The printing problem was down to her Apple Mac's differences to my Windows 10.

That's odd.

I just downloaded the files, they automatically opened as a PDF, I just printed them out at full size, (that's no scaling) onto A4 paper.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Im sorry, I'm not on a computer, but if you open the PDF file and do File -> Print, there should be something like print full size or original size as an option. Otherwise the print might be stretched or reduced to fit the page.

By not following the instructions in the DVD Extra section, I successfully downloaded Parts 1 & 2 of the kit. It opens beautifully. However, it opens at a size ratio of 77.75% which is labelled "OO/HO". After 2 weeks in a darkened room, I have failed to find any instructions for conversion to N or O. Is it a case of converting 1/76 = 77.5% to the equivalent of 1/148 or is it easier to buy a card kit from the local model shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived