Nucast

33 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Try snail mail? Or the dog'n'bone?

Sorry, a bit pointless unless you know what they already for sale. Very easy to forget something etc etc.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, micklner said:

Sorry, a bit pointless unless you know what they already for sale. Very easy to forget something etc etc.

The procedure is to send an SAE for their catalogue leaflets (or a subset, supposing for example that you know you don't want Midland carriage kits) and then place your order by post on the basis of that. All very twentieth-century but hey, this is historical modelling, isn't it?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The procedure is to send an SAE for their catalogue leaflets (or a subset, supposing for example that you know you don't want Midland carriage kits) and then place your order by post on the basis of that. All very twentieth-century but hey, this is historical modelling, isn't it?

They normally just send you a PDF for free. They charge for the printed lists.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They charge for the printed lists.

True, I'd forgotten that. My purchases from Branchlines are at exhibitions but I have the luxury of three finescale exhibitions per year within easy reach, I think he's usually at at least two of them. 

• RMweb Premium

I tried to ring,  both Brian and Dave on Friday, but I forgot that they may be at the Ally Pally, this weekend. I will try again on Tuesday, to give them time to wind down after the weekend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Noting @Kitman's status update of Tuesday:

As I am 80 this year I have finally decided to retire.  So with immediate effect Nucast at Forest Row has ceased trading.  All of the stock of the reissue kits I held is being passed to Brian at Branchlines who is not closing down.

The future of the Nucast range has not been decided yet and is currently on hold. The moulds and casting machines are now in storage.  We are unable to provide any spares or special orders from the range, or produce more stock.

Please contact Brian on 01373 822231 as he's currently experiencing email problems.

Edited by Compound2632
Quoting status update text.
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

"As I am 80 this year I have finally decided to retire.  So with immediate effect Nucast at Forest Row has ceased trading.  All of the stock of the reissue kits I held is being passed to Brian at Branchlines who is not closing down.

The future of the Nucast range has not been decided yet and is currently on hold. The moulds and casting machines are now in storage.  We are unable to provide any spares or special orders from the range, or produce more stock.

Please contact Brian on 01373 822231 as he's currently experiencing email problems.2

I either missed this quote or misread it, its a very sad day where the range has been put on hold again, I totally understand Dave's position and as well as thanking him for the dedication and service to railway (and car) modelers I wish him well in his retirement

But a range we thought was being brought back into circulation, now has an uncertain future again. Personally I think its sad these kits are not readily available again, lets hope a solution to the issues can be found

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, hayfield said:

"As I am 80 this year I have finally decided to retire.  So with immediate effect Nucast at Forest Row has ceased trading.  All of the stock of the reissue kits I held is being passed to Brian at Branchlines who is not closing down.

Please contact Brian on 01373 822231 as he's currently experiencing email problems.2

I either missed this quote or misread it, its a very sad day where the range has been put on hold again, I totally understand Dave's position and as well as thanking him for the dedication and service to railway (and car) modelers I wish him well in his retirement

But a range we thought was being brought back into circulation, now has an uncertain future again. Personally I think its sad these kits are not readily available again, lets hope a solution to the issues can be found

Possibly Squires will take this on , as they did the Finecast range?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I spoke to Dave yesterday, he has finished casting and all the moulds have gone to storage. All the castings he has are boxed up and ready to go to Brian. 

So far there has been no interest in anyone buying the business, but he remains hopeful. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Asterix2012 said:

I take it Dave was doing the casting for these?

I believe that the majority, if not all, of the casting equipment from SEF was acquired by Squires when they took over the range, together with the moulds. They could therefore produce their own SEF castings , as well as use the equipment for the white metal parts in the Stevenson Carriages range that they had bought previously.

Perhaps Dave had retained one casting machine, which would presumably be sufficient to produce the NuCast kits.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I believe that the majority, if not all, of the casting equipment from SEF was acquired by Squires when they took over the range, together with the moulds. They could therefore produce their own SEF castings , as well as use the equipment for the white metal parts in the Stevenson Carriages range that they had bought previously.

I believe I saw on the SE Finecast website that Squires have said that they intend to continue production? - http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Ordering.htm

• Like 1