Nucast

• RMweb Premium

Hi, it's a shame  that SEF & Branchlines have not arranged a co-operated website. There are many people interested in their wares,and I am sure are losing potential sales because of a lack of a website,I am wanting to buy a Sentinel railcar (anyone any idea  which type it is based upon) ,but without the website ordering method I am reluctant to order by email then wait for a reply etc..etc,such a slower process.

Give Brian (Branchlines) a call, he's extremely helpful.

Edited by Tim Dubya

Give Brian (Branchlines) a call, he's extremely helpful.

I think Dave Ellis of SouthEast Finecast posted something somewhere here on RMWeb when the first releases were announced. I emailed him, he quoted me a price for what I wanted, I emailed back my credit card details split over two emails, and a few days later my order turned up. Simples!

• 1 month later...

I knew someone would ask this, so here goes.

NC007  J70 Tram engine  £35 body only, £65 with spud

NC119  LNER Sentinel railcar  £95 body only , £125 with spud , £140 with black beetle (Branchlines only)

NC120  Sentinel shunter  £39 bodt only , £69 with spud

NC209  LMS Folwer 7F 0-8-0  £90 with chassis

NC254Z  GWR 70ft autocoach dia.A26  £75 with wheels

NC262  BR(W) 16xx pannier tank £65 body only  , £97.50 body & chassis  , £34.50 chassis only

Just had a delivery of some bits from Southeastern Finecast and there was a NuCast Partners flyer, for those daunted with the etched chassis a few kits are available from Branchlines only for a 16xx with the old Autocom chassis at £80

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Update.

The current price list, dated 2-9-16, has the following additions.

NC108T - GNR 3000/3500 gal. tender  -  £29.98 for complete kit (no wheels).

NC117 - NER class H - LNER class Y7 0-4-0T  -  £72.50 body & chassis kit  ,  £20.95 chassis only.

coming soon -

NC260 - GWR 2021 0-6-0ST with alternative cabs

NC261 - GWR 2021 0-6-0PT with alternative cabs.

both with new N/S chassis.

• Like 1

Good morning all

I think the NC108T tender must refer to the tender supplied with the J6.

If my memory is right, it was a GNR type A tender. 

The Kays J3 kit was originally supplied with the Type B Atlantic Tender.

Later J3s produced by NuCast had the type A tender as had been supplied with the Cotswold Q1.

Earlswood nob

• RMweb Gold

coming soon -

NC260 - GWR 2021 0-6-0ST with alternative cabs

NC261 - GWR 2021 0-6-0PT with alternative cabs.

both with new N/S chassis.

Thanks Nile, interesting news. Can anyone confirm that the Nucast 2021ST is the ex Cotswold/Sutherland kit? I am fighting a losing battle with one of the latter and wouldn't mind an alternative/upgraded option.

Thanks Nile, interesting news. Can anyone confirm that the Nucast 2021ST is the ex Cotswold/Sutherland kit? I am fighting a losing battle with one of the latter and wouldn't mind an alternative/upgraded option.

Best to email them, I'm sure Dave Ellis will be happy to help.

The Pannier tank was certainly released through Nucast and was the ex Cotswold, though I can not confirm the saddle tank option. I have checked with one of Hartlepool's finest who did much of the casting and again only the Pannier is recalled as being cast under the Nucast label.

Mike Wiltshire

There was a GWR 517 class etched chassis on show as well as the 2021 chassis, I think Dave may well have the McGowan moulds for the 517 (or was I getting confused with the 2021 ?

What's this about a 517? Suitable for 1905, and maybe 1880s? Available when? How much?

• RMweb Gold

The Pannier tank was certainly released through Nucast and was the ex Cotswold, though I can not confirm the saddle tank option. I have checked with one of Hartlepool's finest who did much of the casting and again only the Pannier is recalled as being cast under the Nucast label.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks Mike. I found this on Google and the photo does look like the Coswold castings I have.

Edit: Just to clarify, this is an old photo - and so does not necessarily reflect the 2021ST that the partners are releasing now.

$_57.JPG

Edited by Mikkel

• 7 months later...

Spoke with Dave Ellis in the week (ordered 2 chassis frets) and enquired about Nucast releases and plans for the future. He kindly sent the latest Nu-Cast Partnership list. Introductions are/will be slow owing to sorting out what was sent, new moulds are required and in some cases masters are missing, And where needed new chassis designed

post-1131-0-69279000-1493538046_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-64399700-1493538055_thumb.jpg

Hope these will help. Dave will be at the EM gauge show at Bracknell and Railex at Stoke Manderville, Both shows are worth attending anyway

• Like 1

i would anyone building the Sentinel; kit to go for the Black beetle option , the Tenshodo will not cope with the weight of this very heavy kit.

[Hi,

I presume you mean the Sentinel Railcar not the Shunter. Unfortunately the then owner of Nu Cast opted for the white metal version (from Ambrico) as my quote for the plastic kit was too high. I ended up doing quite a bit of work on the railcar patterns at the pre production stage in any case. I did do the shunter in plastic. I see it is one of the ones they have released. I wonder if they are still using up the last run of plastic mouldings I supplied 30 years ago or have cast them in whitemetal. I owned the moulds and I believe I might even know where they are.

best wishes,

Ian

i would anyone building the Sentinel; kit to go for the Black beetle option , the Tenshodo will not cope with the weight of this very heavy kit.

[Hi,

I presume you mean the Sentinel Railcar not the Shunter. Unfortunately the then owner of Nu Cast opted for the white metal version (from Ambrico) as my quote for the plastic kit was too high. I ended up doing quite a bit of work on the railcar patterns at the pre production stage in any case. I did do the shunter in plastic. I see it is one of the ones they have released. I wonder if they are still using up the last run of plastic mouldings I supplied 30 years ago or have cast them in whitemetal. I owned the moulds and I believe I might even know where they are.

best wishes,

Ian

Ian

I believe, will double check with Dave that the Sentinel is in whitemetal. Am I correct in guessing you are talking a plastic shunter ? Would be interesting if you could indicate if the moulds still work

Hi,

No reason why they could not be made to work. They would need cleaned and polished and mounted up on backing plates etc. They would still be "last generation" though and nothing like the current computer driven plastic mouldings. I must look through all of these old moulds ( I have quite a few) and see what if anything is worth saving. They fell into disuse when I got the new (now ancient)moulding machine and did not bother mounting them up to fit this.

best wishes,

Ian

post-15427-0-09160300-1493715442_thumb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've built one of the plastic bodied Sentinel shunters and it went together nicely. The solebars were cast in whitemetal, which was sensible in terms of adding weight although there was plenty of room for lead inside when it was put together.

100_6177_zps4342d3c1.jpg

For propulsion I adapted the kit to take a BullAnt. I can't speak highly enough of this unit or the service I had from Geoff Baxter.

100_6171_zps27f9d52e.jpg

I have two of these, this one and a brass Crownline one. In tandem they've hauled 50+ wagons round Grantham and each one alone has more than enough power as well as excellent slow running.

sentinel_thurston_zps96f052da.jpg

As an aside, I put a BullAnt Major into my railcar and that performs just as well. It's a shame the kit wasn't in plastic, that would have been a much better idea.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 5

Spoke with Dave Ellis earlier The Nicklesilver chassis for the 2021 is available now with the bodies ready in a month, prototype will be on show at Bracknell

I spoke about the K's autocoach, as an alternative end for the original railmotor is now provided in the revised kit, apparently they are working on a driving trailer to match.

Thats about all I could get out of Dave, but they are working on some more re-introductions   

Nucast Partners is a very positive development.  The new upgraded chassis will, I hope, help give the kits a new lease of life.

While nothing re-introduced coincides with my interests, I am pleased to note that the 2021 Saddle/Pannier tank is on the way.

Other greatly lamented kits I'd love to see and certainly purchase, include:

- GWR Bulldog 4-4-0

- GER T26/LNER E4 2-4-0

- LSWR A12 Jubilee 0-4-2

- MR 2F 0-6-0

Old examples of these often go for More Money Than Sense prices on Ebay, so there is some degree of demand.  I think there is a case for arguing the relative popularity of all three classes. An upgraded version with new N/S chassis of any of these would certainly be included in my letter to Father Christmas.

• Like 1

Nucast Partners is a very positive development.  The new upgraded chassis will, I hope, help give the kits a new lease of life.

While nothing re-introduced coincides with my interests, I am pleased to note that the 2021 Saddle/Pannier tank is on the way.

Other greatly lamented kits I'd love to see and certainly purchase, include:

- GWR Bulldog 4-4-0

- GER T26/LNER E4 2-4-0

- LSWR A12 Jubilee 0-4-2

- MR 2F 0-6-0

Old examples of these often go for More Money Than Sense prices on Ebay, so there is some degree of demand.  I think there is a case for arguing the relative popularity of all three classes. An upgraded version with new N/S chassis of any of these would certainly be included in my letter to Father Christmas.

I agree. With the Bulldog, the chimney, safety valve and buffers were not the best. This was fine when you could reasonable replacements from Crownline, but I would prefer it if SEF used some of their own standard fittings which were much better. If a new N/S chassis is being provided, I would like to suggest that the outside frames could be be etched up at the same time.to give stronger and thinner frames.

here's hoping

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 1