Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Chris Reeve

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

It is with much sadness that I learnt this morning that Chris Reeve passed away last Thursday.

Chris was a member of the Burgess Hill Model Railway Club and had been organising the annual BHMRC one day exhibition for some years.

He was a lovely guy with a great sense of humour and of the last three shows I attended as an exhibitor, Chris organised and ran things very smoothly always ensuring people, both exhibitors and visitors of the show were well looked after.

Chris was also a member of a choir and a regular visitor to the Bluebell Railway.

I last saw Chris in May this year at the BHMRC show, which he had seemlessly orchestrated mostly from his hospital bed whilst battling his illness. He regularly sent emails updating people on his health as he fought against the illness and I was looking forward to have a catch up with him at the next exhibition.

Chris will be much missed and I would like to offer my sincere condolences to his family and those fellow friends who had the pleasure of knowing him.

RIP Chris

I was terribly saddened to hear this news; Chris was a great person to be around, friendly, supportive and his enthusiasm was terribly contagious. I have him to thank for my few times exhibiting at the BHMRC show, where I was always treated very well. 

Throughout his illness, Chris had remained in touch through occasional e-mails and through facebook updates, always with his positive outlook. I was pleased to see him at the 2015 BH show, despite my not exhibiting (but helping Pete and Matthew) and we had a nice long chat despite him busily still managing aspects of the show. I met him again at the Bluebell model railway shown in late June where we were both helping run layouts that were adjacent to each other, and I seem to think he was enjoying himself. His previous messages had conveyed his optimism about his recovery and how well it was going. My last correspondence with him was back in August where we started to talk about the possibility of a new stand supporting the BH show next year... something that I still had to try and sort out; he'd commented enthusiastically about my photos of the Vulcan and Beachy Head from that week too; he was always able to find that common area of interest and build happily on it.

I know I'm not alone in thinking he'll be sorely missed.

Rest in Peace Chris.

I too learnt of Chris's passing today, quite appropriately at a model railway exhibition. He was a lovely person and a true gentleman, it was a privilege to have known him.

I knew him through his work as the Burgess Hill Exhibition Manager where he always ensured that things ran smoothly.

I can only agree with the other posters above that he will be sorely missed by all who knew him

My deepest sympathies to his family and friends

Rest in Peace Chris

John

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to just be reading this sad news.  It was always a pleasure to meet Chris at exhibitions, whether behind a layout or just as members of the public.  I knew he had been fighting ill health for some time, but he seemed to be in recovery the last time I saw him, at Andover.

Rest in Peace Chris

Colin

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have only just found the obituaries board so first time reading this but did hear of Chris's passing back in January.

I had known Chris for a number of years after attending the Burgess Hill show with various layouts and also seeing him on the exhibition circuit.

Chris ended up in the same hospitals as our late friend Graham Stenning and also his Father who both had the same disease as Chris.

Its quite poignant as the last time that I saw our friend Graham was at this coming weekends show at Burgess HIll where he looked to be recovering well. Chris was also there but he did look very drawn.

Our friend died in June last year and Chris attended his funeral. By then Chris was looking so much better and doing well.

The last time I saw Chris was at the Tinkers Park show in August 2015 and he looked very well and Chris said to us that he was in remission and thought everything was going to be OK.

So it was a big surprise to hear of his passing.

He is missed by a number of fellow operators on our layouts that knew him.

Ian

Archived