WCRC again...this beggars belief

• RMweb Premium

Well this thread seems to be going nowhere fast except that the arm chair experts get to flex their grey matter and amaze us with their wealth of knowledge. As has been said earlier it is just wild assummptions until the real facts come to light.

I don't see what's wrong with people having a think about what's happening and what it could mean (as long as no-one's involved in any official invesigation).

This topic is interesting (just like the one on Wooton Bassett incident) speculation included. Because it educates the general public reader (like me) who has very little knowledge of the working railways of today, on how the railway that we might use actually operates. Also on the safety measures that are there to protect us and flaws in the system (be they mechanical or human).

• RMweb Gold

Isn't that exactly the solution I suggested on the previous thread?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104135-tangmere-spad-raib-update/?p=2059289

Andi

Yep :) Although if the rules are followed it's safer in the cab as you don't have to go lineside to isolate it when it needs to be. A real Catch 22.

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody actually found the ORR Notice?  I have looked on their website several times since yesterday and I can't find it at all - it's not listed under Notices (which is where I would have expected to find it) and I can't find in the 'News' section either.  If you find it please link it.

At least if we could find the original ORR Notice we might then know exactly what it said, as opposed to 'Rail's' report of what it said.

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody actually found the ORR Notice?  I have looked on their website several times since yesterday and I can't find it at all - it's not listed under Notices (which is where I would have expected to find it) and I can't find in the 'News' section either.  If you find it please link it.

At least if we could find the original ORR Notice we might then know exactly what it said, as opposed to 'Rail's' report of what it said.

Hello Mike,

This is the only reference I can find.

http://orr.gov.uk/publications/notices/legal-notices/prohibition-notices/prohibition-notices-2015

It says that full details can be found on the Public Register, but it doesn't seem to be there.

Ian Riley's Black 5 45407 has today made it's way to Bristol in preparation for the Bath Christmas Market trip to Poole trip on 26th and Christmas Cheshireman to Shrewsbury on 28th, all of which is being operated by West Coast quite legitimately.

I have seen a copy (electronic) of the text of the notice. I interpret the wording as the TPWS equipment having been found in a deactivated state aboard a steam locomotive, implying that it had been purposely switched off. It's not clear whether this has been done intentionally or accidentally but in the case of the latter, I suspect that it would have been picked up during the 'pre-flight' checks before the machine in question left to begin its duties. If this is the case, it is somewhat taking the pee, given the sh1tstorm that broke earlier this year.

Nevertheless, this is the speculation of an amateur pundit and therefore only to be regarded as such until the ORR completes its investigations. It has to be said though that it places WCRC in a rather unenviable position and regardless of the outcome, the company will have suffered serious reputational damage in the industry.

• RMweb Gold

All preserved steam trains operating on the main line in Ireland are crewed by Irish Rail crews or Northern Ireland Railways crews (as appropriate). Thus the trains are under the full control of the relevant state railway company. Perhaps a similar arrangement could be considered for Britain.

All preserved steam trains operating on the main line in Ireland are crewed by Irish Rail crews or Northern Ireland Railways crews (as appropriate). Thus the trains are under the full control of the relevant state railway company. Perhaps a similar arrangement could be considered for Britain.

Given the UKs sledge hammer and walnut approach to these things they're more likely to ban chuff chuffs from the main line entirely.

• RMweb Gold

DBS supply crews for a number of mainline steam operations in the UK.

Ireland is exempt from EU unbundling requirements, IIR due to its size and lack of connectivity. There are state owned operators elsewhere, generally where certain EU members have decided the rules don't entirely apply to them... <cough> SNCF <sneeze> DB <burp> PKP...

• RMweb Premium

than.....?

I believe that Riley's locos have a different arrange with regard to the AWS / TPWS isolation valve which means it cannot be operated from within the cab (like "Mayflower"). As such the ORR have given permission for WCR to operate 45407. As further locos are modified and the AWS / TPWS isolation valves move out of their cabs, the number of locos WCR will be allowed to operate will increase.

As for whether Riley's locos are better maintained...... that is not actually reverent to the current situation, as there is no suggestion that maintenance standards had anything to do with the Doncaster incident which triggered the ORR action.

I believe that Riley's locos have a different arrange with regard to the AWS / TPWS isolation valve which means it cannot be operated from within the cab (like "Mayflower"). As such the ORR have given permission for WCR to operate 45407. As further locos are modified and the AWS / TPWS isolation valves move out of their cabs, the number of locos WCR will be allowed to operate will increase.

As for whether Riley's locos are better maintained...... that is not actually reverent to the current situation, as there is no suggestion that maintenance standards had anything to do with the Doncaster incident which triggered the ORR action.

At least one of the valves requiring to be operating on 45407 is outside the cab, directly below the drivers seat but only accessible from the exterior drivers side below cab floor level.

Archived