Taunton Members Day 2016 - Important Catering Announcement

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Dear All,

The next Taunton Members Day will be on Sunday 24th April 2016. I'm not yet in a position to announce the line-up, but there is an important announcement as regards the catering arrangements, which is really a request for help.

For the last 8 Members Days, the catering has been run by Madeleine (CTMK - 'Mrs Kernow') and Michelle (Mrs Pugsley), ably assisted at various times by a number of other kind souls, including some partners of other RMWeb members.

For personal reasons, Madeleine is no longer able to run the catering operation and would like to hand the reins over to someone else, and Michelle has also indicated that she would like to step down.

Essentially this boils down to the fact that we will need a new catering team in place for the 2016 event, or face a radical change in the catering offered at the event.

The way I see it, we broadly have four choices from next year onwards (this has been discussed with Andy York):

1) A new team is formed up, perhaps consisting of existing RMWeb members and/or partners

2) An outside catering company is brought in, at whatever cost, to provide whatever version of catering we can afford

3) I get in a selection of pre-made 'supermarket' sandwiches, which we would sell at cost on the day, with a couple of the regular volunteers providing teas and coffees

4) No catering at all, everyone brings their own food and drink

In all likelihood, only Option 1 would enable us to continue with the existing offerings of pasties, chicken & ham pies, homemade cakes etc. Unless the new catering team wanted to supply their own pasties etc., I can still arrange to provide pasties and chicken & ham pies from the existing source here in South Devon.

Unfortunately Madeleine won't be able to attend at all next April, but Michelle has kindly agreed to 'show the new team the ropes', in the event that we are able to find a new catering team under 'Option 1'.

In all other respects, I will continue to arrange and run the model railway exhibition part of the event.

So I now really have to hand this over to your collective wisdom, to have a think about things, and hopefully some will be able to suggest a new catering team, so that we can remain with 'Option 1'.

Please could any serious offers of how a new catering team can be formed (recommend at least 4 persons who are happy to work together) be sent to me by PM.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Option 3 would seem to be the most sensible idea.

Pre-packed sandwiches are quite agreeable fare, not just sandwiches but but other good 'snacks' are available. .........KISS principle!

The basic need would be a small roster for manning the urn and taking the money.

PS .....and then there's always cheesecake........! :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Hang the pasties, does this mean I will have to bring my own date and walnut cake!

In all seriousness whilst I hope somebody can come forward and put a catering team together Im sure I speak for all the regulars in giving a huge thank you to Maddie and the team who have looked after us so well over the last several years.

Jerry

Im sure I speak for all the regulars in giving a huge thank you to Maddie and the team who have looked after us so well over the last several years.

Indeed, a huge debt of gratitude. Whilst Tim and I would do our best to spend the budget wisely it was only through Maddy, Michelle and supporters added to the paying customers that significant amounts of money have been raised for The Railway Children over the years. A huge thank you for that.

I would like to reiterate the comments above and gratitude to the catering volunteers.

Whichever option is chosen I will be happy with the outcome whatever it may be ( easily satisfied! ) :)

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately helping with a layout elsewhere or I'd have mucked in to do a couple of hours on the teapot at least ;) I wouldn't recommend buying in sarnies, the legendary pasties yes, as it would be as easy for people to get their own sarnies on the way than risk wasting a load of them. That would reduce the cash liability and you can get rough numbers for pasties and any surplus would be easy to polish off ;)

• RMweb Gold

I concur with the post above thanking Maddy and her team and I hope that we should be able to muster enough volunteers to continue along similar lines next year and to extent Tim you have a PM.

Now need to go away and find a source for malachite green icing....

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Greetings everyone.

Unfortunately the volunteers that I had previously lined-up to work with Graham Muz in the catering team have had to pull out, due to work commitments that weekend, so I am still looking for 2 or 3 kind people to help form the basis for the catering team this year.

Graham has kindly offered to lead the catering team, but we just can't hack it without sufficient pairs of hands, so if you and/or perhaps your partner might feel willing to 'have a go', I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me by PM as soon as possible.

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm pleased to say that we have now found a way to enable Madeleine (CTMK) to lead the catering team at Taunton one more time, so with the able assistance of Michelle (Mrs Pugsley) and a small number of other kind volunteers, to whom we are very grateful, the catering team is now in place.

It is fair to say, however, that there is always room for some additional assistance with washing up and other general assistance duties in the kitchen, so if anyone else would like to help the catering team for an hour or so, I'd be very happy to hear from you (by PM please).

• 1 month later...

Archived