Heljan O Gauge 05

two tone green

Good news, but an obscure type, I'm surprised they didn't choose one with a wider range.

Having said that, with the forthcoming Dapol 08, (if it ever arrives), and brass models/kits of the 03, I suppose they had to look hard for another prototype that wasn't limited regionally. I'd like to see them, or someone, do the 07...they could then use the chassis for the ex WR PWM locos, 97651-4. 97650 had smaller wheels.

Am I right in thinking that the only 05 to receive corporate blue was 05001?

post-13196-0-17500900-1448556887_thumb.jpg

I think a RTR Class 03 (even though Brassworks/other kits already exist/have appeared in the past) would have been a better choice, in particular, as they lasted into the late 1980's or so, as an 05 will have a much more limited appeal in my eyes but I always say good luck to any O guage projects. Brassworks 03's go for premium prices on EBay/O Guage Trade Shows so there would have been good demand. OK Heljan might just want to do a small shunting loco but Dapol with the Class 08 have got the 'king' of the shunters when it finally arrives assuming they get it spot on and I do think Richard Webster seems to be adding that bit extra to their models as the Terrier realease seems to have shown.

As I said Heljan might just want to do a smaller project/shunter but I still wonder, in particular, why a class 50, class 56 have not yet appeared as they would be popular. Maybe Dapol will claim one of these after success with the Class 08? or they might do a Class 03!

I have got to say though if faced with the choice between a Dapol 08 for half of the price of the Heljan Class 05 I think most would go for a Dapol 08 assuming it is well made/runs well/is of a high standard etc,etc.

• RMweb Premium

It looks an attractive model, will be heavier than the Dapol 08. Personally I'd go for an 04 or 03, but this has a surprising appeal and they did run in Scotland. I have no interest in an 07, 08 (aptly named Gronk!) or the mutant-on-steroids class 14. Yes its pricey, you can get a class 26 for the same price at the moment. I fully expect others to disagree with my views!

Dava

Ooh!

That's going to be hard to resist!

Yes, it's pricey but if it's not out until 2017, I reckon it's acceptable, just.

They did run in the eastern region, didn't they?

Cheers,

John E.

They should be copies of the OO versions scaled up so that means the "Type A" Scottish version stayed in Scotland, with one escaping to England, D2578, when it was sold into industrial use for Bulmers. The "Type B" was the NE version and originally where found in NE England from a line between Goole/Hull across to Healey mills/Bradford and up as far as Tweedmouth. When work ran out for them there some migrated up to the Scottish Region and 4 across to the Midland Region where they worked from Holyhead down to Rugby at various times. A more detailed history can be found here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65792-hunslet-class-05/page-5&do=findComment&comment=1954641 .

More of this version survived into industrial use, mainly with the NCB around Yorkshire.

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

"A more detailed history can be found here, http://www.rmweb.co....-5?do=findComment&comment=1954641."

A very good detailed history. It shows the Departmental and post-BR industrial histories of these locos which may tempt more buyers.

I was a bit worried that someone posting as Swindon 123 would be upset by my comments on class 14s!

Dava

I'm surprised with the price when Dapol can do the 08 for almost half the price.

Should be a good model though hopefully.

As a manufacturer of RTR 0 gauge locomotives I can say that this is a realistic price that will provide Heljan with a fair return on its substantial investment. Professional etiquette precludes further comment.

• RMweb Premium

Another attraction to the Heljan class 05 is that they operated the East Fife Central (Lochty) Railway in its latter BR days with D2583-4-5 running from 1962-64. The Lochty is a highly modellable basis for a compact layout as others have observed. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/39742-useful-reference-books/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2116313 #53 

Dava

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think a RTR Class 03 (even though Brassworks/other kits already exist/have appeared in the past) would have been a better choice, in particular, as they lasted into the late 1980's or so, as an 05 will have a much more limited appeal in my eyes but I always say good luck to any O guage projects. 

I have got to say though if faced with the choice between a Dapol 08 for half of the price of the Heljan Class 05 I think most would go for a Dapol 08 assuming it is well made/runs well/is of a high standard etc,etc.

Just catching up with this announcement... way behind the times as ever!

I agree that an 03 would have seemed like a more sensible choice, from a lay-persons point of view of the market, and from a purely personal perspective as they are one of my favourite locomotives. Surely the number, longevity and geographical spread of the class would support a viable r-t-r product? But then again Heljan (and other companies) will undoubtedly have done all of the market research to back up recent ventures!

With the price mind... I applaud Dapol for trying to bring the Class 08 to market a low price and wish them luck in the venture but I would say that the going rate for a small 0 Gauge locomotive seems to be around the £250-350 mark. Now, as a potential new 'on-the verge of committing' modeller in 7mm scale, I look at that cost (a substantive in my personal circumstances) with a far more rational, sensible head than I would have done in the past in 4mm scale at maybe £70-80 per loco. Any item I buy in 7mm has got to be exactly what I want... so if this had been a Class 03 I would probably have gone for it but an 05, nice though it will undoubtedly be, does not tick all the boxes so I will hang fire for the next thing! Exactly the same with the 08... nice but I don't have that amount of cash available to throw at something which doesn't meet all of my criteria. There must be others in a similar situation, particularly in larger scales! Anyway, being a probable 2017 release gives folks plenty of time to save the pennies!  :P

Anyway, I wish Heljan all the best with another 0 Gauge locomotive, it is great to see the scale getting so much support!

Market research? Maybe........., but I have memories of the Hornby class 21 (or was it a 22) diesel in the 70's, and Hornby having said they did that one as "it had sad eyes".

Then in 7mm we have the JLTRT Clayton???? And DP1 instead of Falcon/Lion/Kestrel? Market research? Nope...but it's Pete's company and what Pete wants..........fair enough. But Market research? Maybe not.

• RMweb Premium

Worth playing it long with the Class 05, Tower Models often discount remaining Heljan locos after they've been out a while, if the 05 is pricey & not too popular it may happen - but has not yet with the AC railbus which is also priced quite high. I did buy one of those but its too big for the current layout. Which reinforces the point about only buying what you really want. A Scottish branch is a project for the future.

Dava

• 4 weeks later...

I have just received an O-gauge catalogue dated 1st February 2016 from Tower Models.

There is a printed last-minute announcement:

Heljan  have taken a decision to start  work on a new small diesel project, details to be announced shortly.

I am intrigued, Class 14 perhaps?

I have just received an O-gauge catalogue dated 1st February 2016 from Tower Models.

There is a printed last-minute announcement:

Heljan  have taken a decision to start  work on a new small diesel project, details to be announced shortly.

I am intrigued, Class 14 perhaps?

I saw that - I wasn't sure whether they were referring to the 05 and it was a timing difference when putting the catalogue together?

If not - I hope its a 03 personally! - if not maybe that might be Dapol's next diesel project?

Just catching up with this announcement... way behind the times as ever!

I agree that an 03 would have seemed like a more sensible choice, from a lay-persons point of view of the market, and from a purely personal perspective as they are one of my favourite locomotives. Surely the number, longevity and geographical spread of the class would support a viable r-t-r product? But then again Heljan (and other companies) will undoubtedly have done all of the market research to back up recent ventures!

With the price mind... I applaud Dapol for trying to bring the Class 08 to market a low price and wish them luck in the venture but I would say that the going rate for a small 0 Gauge locomotive seems to be around the £250-350 mark. Now, as a potential new 'on-the verge of committing' modeller in 7mm scale, I look at that cost (a substantive in my personal circumstances) with a far more rational, sensible head than I would have done in the past in 4mm scale at maybe £70-80 per loco. Any item I buy in 7mm has got to be exactly what I want... so if this had been a Class 03 I would probably have gone for it but an 05, nice though it will undoubtedly be, does not tick all the boxes so I will hang fire for the next thing! Exactly the same with the 08... nice but I don't have that amount of cash available to throw at something which doesn't meet all of my criteria. There must be others in a similar situation, particularly in larger scales! Anyway, being a probable 2017 release gives folks plenty of time to save the pennies!  :P

Anyway, I wish Heljan all the best with another 0 Gauge locomotive, it is great to see the scale getting so much support!

It seems to me that Dapol are taking a punt with their pricing of the 08 and will hope that the price point gives massive volume in sales. I wouldn't mind an  O Gauge loco even just for display, however at £500 a pop before any sound detailing etc I don't think they are worth that amount of money given modern manufacturing processes. Heljan have just scaled up the OO 05 as they have done with the 26 if they want to build a larger volume of sale and with it turnover/profit then a price point nearer £250-300 for mainline loco would possibly hook many more people to convert/collect O Gauge and generate a bigger market base to develop future projects for.

B

The 03 has been done before, and I believe someone whom regularly posts on Western Thunder is going to produce an 03 type. 05 are attractively different, but must have been dreadful as they had such short lives!

Paul

05's are definitely difficult things to drive and very manual in their operation. After 8 hours driving one you feel like you've been wrestling an octopus. D2578, which I'm involved with has the DSD isolated on it. If it wasn't you need both hands and one, sometimes two feet to drive it. Driving almost any other type of shunter is a lot easier. We've had one ex Scottish driver who worked on them in BR days visit us and he confirmed they where generally disliked and avoided, whenever possible, by drivers then. Made sense to get rid of them when they did as the traffic disappeared and other more easily driven and maintained shunters became spare.

Paul J.

• 4 months later...

I have finally painted and test run the first sample of the 05 and what a lovely little loco it is.

Here is a video of the 05 in action fitted with a Howes sound chip recorded from D2578 at Moreton on Lugg

Looks and sounds very nice Brian. One issue is the wheels look a little small in diameter. Sounds as though there is a lot of gear changing going on You'd soon get fed up of that. A couple of U-tube clips of D2578 in action here.

Paul J.

• Like 4