Heljan O Gauge 05

two tone green

23 hours ago, deltic17 said:

Gear problems are not an issue with the 05 - it only affected early 37,47 & hymek?

I have only seen one 05 running, a friend's and it was superb - lovely and smooth

I personally can't wait for the 03

Class 26 & 33 also affected I’m afraid.:unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Anyone else found problems with installing a DCC decoder in a Heljan Gauge 0 class 05? Technical advice requested please. I am still feeling my way with DCC. I bought a SPROG so I could see what I was doing when programming a decoder as using the NCE Powercab for this was guesswork. 

I have a Zen Z218 decoder with a 21 + 8 pin connector from when I started with DCC, it has a 1.1 amp rating.

I tried using it in the Heljan 05 but could not get it to work. Can't tell if the chip saves the instructions. 

I tested it in an Ixion Fowler using the 8 pin adaptor. Set up the address and power settings. It works fine.

Then connected it into the Heljan 05 using the 21 pin connector. No functionality at all. The Heljan runs ok on DC.

Advice welcome, keep it simple please. 

• RMweb Gold

Dava,

I was hoping someone else would have chipped in who has access to supporting documentation because I am in north wales being a Victorian engine driver for the weekend with poor internet.

As they haven’t I’ll chuck in some comments in the form of clues for further research.

There are two 21pin interfaces. If you have the wrong one it won’t go. I know nothing of Zen decoders so can’t advise. I have put ZIMO MX644D decoders on two 05’s

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just had a real battle with mine - appeared to program OK on the sprog but wouldn't move, tried 2 different make decoders, just the same.  Took it to the layout and the Lenz DCC which programmed it and it drives fine.  Put back on the sprog and now its fine on that too - both decoders!  No explanation available!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice, guys. More playing & fiddling around, turning DCC chip over, eventually worked. 

Enjoy your weekend Paul.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2019 at 21:35, Dava said:

I used the HMRS transfers, they are as close as I could find. D2579 is one of the Scottish Region locos.

image.jpeg.3a2c37e12cf8670d4a93f8dcdecc2c27.jpeg

I've been looking for numbers for the plain green 03 that will be arriving shortly. Thanks for your suggestion. I've concluded that the HMRS sheet 14 is good for the numbers but that the D is a little too wide.

rps20200627_154312.jpg.b8a79310a1ccfbaf84ae8c4ed5e27ea2.jpg

In the absence of anything else it will have to do to get even close to this style:

rps20200626_122445.jpg.004acdf8b07ad7f9ec988e6a7aff3ccc.jpg

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

I've been looking for numbers for the plain green 03 that will be arriving shortly. Thanks for your suggestion. I've concluded that the HMRS sheet 14 is good for the numbers but that the D is a little too wide.

In the absence of anything else it will have to do to get even close to this style:

You can probably just cut it down - no harder to align part of the D than it is the rest of the numbers?!

Bit confused though - I thought HMRS were reversed to look at? 

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Bit confused though - I thought HMRS were reversed to look at? 

A snip of the sheet from their website to illustrate the differences and similarities. Normally the product is reversed.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

A snip of the sheet from their website to illustrate the differences and similarities. Normally the product is reversed.

Ah ok well then the pressfix type should be relatively easy to adjust that "D" i'd have thought. Do the straight bit then if you don't press down the curved part too hard you should be able to move it around a bit to line up.

There was a thread started the other week asking pretty much the same questions it's in Modelling questions hints and tips IIRC,from what was said I believe Railtec is working on a suitable pack.

will be most welcome as I've held off numbering my 05 due to lack of suitable transfers and the reason I haven't bought a green 03,yet!.

Rob

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hal Nail said:

Ah ok well then the pressfix type should be relatively easy to adjust that "D" i'd have thought. Do the straight bit then if you don't press down the curved part too hard you should be able to move it around a bit to line up.

That's the conclusion that I've come to as well. I keeping forgetting that O gauge numbers are much bigger than the OO ones I used for many years! 

Just checked the pack and it's Methsfix not Pressfix.

8 minutes ago, Lord Flashheart said:

There was a thread started the other week asking pretty much the same questions it's in Modelling questions hints and tips IIRC,from what was said I believe Railtec is working on a suitable pack.

will be most welcome as I've held off numbering my 05 due to lack of suitable transfers and the reason I haven't bought a green 03,yet!.

Rob

If it's literally just the numbers that you need then for the interim use this customisable item here:

7mm-9990

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2938

It'll give you any number you like for the 05 that can be applied as one transfer in one easy hit. It'd also include the accompanying D prefix either at same height as the numbers or smaller size if needed (I'd need to be guided by you on this last piece).

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, railtec-models said:

If it's literally just the numbers that you need then for the interim use this customisable item here:

7mm-9990

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2938

It'll give you any number you like for the 05 that can be applied as one transfer in one easy hit. It'd also include the accompanying D prefix either at same height as the numbers or smaller size if needed (I'd need to be guided by you on this last piece).

@railtec-models the early diesel shunters built at Swindon don't appear to have used either of the early diesel fonts in the pack you linked above.

Discussion elsewhere has suggested that Swindon being Swindon the numbers were sign written in the style of the off-white (yellowish) BR steam font but with a wider 1. The D was narrower in width but thick in line and, as the D was an abbreviation of diesel, it had a full stop after it. 

So what I thought would be a straightforward numbering job has left me with the conclusion that nobody seems to produce the right transfers. Is this something you are considering?

1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

@railtec-models the early diesel shunters built at Swindon don't appear to have used either of the early diesel fonts in the pack you linked above.

Discussion elsewhere has suggested that Swindon being Swindon the numbers were sign written in the style of the off-white (yellowish) BR steam font but with a wider 1. The D was narrower in width but thick in line and, as the D was an abbreviation of diesel, it had a full stop after it. 

So what I thought would be a straightforward numbering job has left me with the conclusion that nobody seems to produce the right transfers. Is this something you are considering?

That's the interesting bit with some of the 03s, 04s and 05s in particular - there seems to be little consistency which has been the stumbling pack in pushing a complete pack (with number of choice) for the 05s over the line. Images I have give:

- Difference in colour, primarily seems to be white or cream;

- "Standard" D style number;

- Larger D style number with full size D prefix;

- Larger D style number with D. prefix;

- Some had numbers on both bufferbeams (and again, not sure if the size varied on these)

I can make them but each one would need to be researched (really by the person asking), the graphic design made (by me) and printed.

Edited by railtec-models

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, railtec-models said:

That's the interesting bit with some of the 03s, 04s and 05s in particular - there seems to be little consistency which has been the stumbling pack in pushing a complete pack (with number of choice) for the 05s over the line. Images I have give:

- Some had numbers on both bufferbeams (and again, not sure if the size varied on these)

I can make them but each one would need to be researched (really by the person asking), the graphic design made (by me) and printed.

@railtec-models Out of interest, what are you terming as the larger and standard Ds?

44 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

@railtec-models Out of interest, what are you terming as the larger and standard Ds?

As I wouldn't want to upload photos here that aren't mine, I'll reference a couple of images via links.

Here's one from John Turner (linked to from Flickr) which shows what I would class as standard early typeface serif D numbers, the same size and style carried by green 25s, 33s, 37s etc.

c.08/1970 - Norwich Thorpe.

(Turns out the RMWeb forum code automatically pastes the picture from the URL, which is handy).

Whether those D2032 numbers are white or cream, it's unclear. It looks cream, but it could just be mucky although the data panel directly above looks much whiter.

And here's one with the larger D and larger numerals, again linked to from Flickr:

D2134 Laira Depot 30.05.73

Ok they're both 03s but it should hopefully give a visual representation of some of the differences. Like I say, I'm quite happy to do 05 numbers to suit although I'd need some useful input from the person asking. I also need to decide whether it's something I'd do via that link above, or whether I'd need to create a new offering as it might be more work than £2.50... My gut would be to invite people to let me know:

- What running number;

- What typeface (std early serif, Gill Sans, something else)

- What colour running number;

- Does it have a "D" or "D." prefix, if so, is it same height / width as the numbers;

- What size digits (if known, otherwise I could work it out in relation to the crest though this would of course be more work/time)

- Any numbers on the bufferbeam, if so, what size;

- Any decent images;

...and I can determine the cost from there based on the amount of time it would take.

As you can perhaps tell, what might initially seem like a simple renumber can quickly open up a can of worms! I'll certainly help where I can so long as people are able to provide me with some very specific info.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, railtec-models said:

I did send you, a long while ago mind you, the measurements and style of Numbers we found on D2578 when we restored it. I would be happy to resend them if they you are thinking of doing them as a transfer, including photos.

Paul J.

Original RH cabside numbers.  11-08-02.jpg