Heljan O Gauge 05

two tone green

I have finally painted and test run the first sample of the 05 and what a lovely little loco it is.

Here is a video of the 05 in action fitted with a Howes sound chip recorded from D2578 at Moreton on Lugg

Hi,

05 looks and sounds great. Is the signal box, scratch built? Looking for a GWR one similar if possible.

Thanks

Julian.

• 2 months later...

There does`nt seem too be much 'love' for the 05,i don`t know why as i think it`s a cracking little engine!.

So to redress the balance i`ve put togther a quick vid (if a slightly poor one..) showing my yellow cegb one,which is fitted with a Zimo MX644C sound chip from Mr Soundguy.

The sound file has been develpoed for the OO gauge one,but it works perfectly well in it`s larger cousion,so much so that apart from the volume i`ve not touched any of the other settings.

One thing that did bother me though was the aparent lack of space for a decent speaker, (imho) so i thought i`d give one of the i phone 6s speaker`s ago after seeing them retro fitted in OO gauge loco`s.And so far to be honest,i`m pleasently supprised with it.

Apart from shortening it to fit the width of the cab it is standard,and as this is a test fit, i`ve made no attempt to hide it either.Even so it`s quite hard to tell it`s there,and when a crew is fitted and the speaker is painted black you won`t even notice!.

Cheers,

Brian.

• Like 2

Brian,

I quite agree with your comments about the 05, I purchased the maroon version and it's quickly become a firm favourite-well made, excellent detail and runs like a dream.  I fitted sound with the speaker in the housing provided and I'm very happy with the result.  I love the little marker lights, I just need someone to tell me how I can have them lit at both ends together at all times.

I hope traders have overstocked and at sometime in the future offer them at bargain prices, I'll be in there straight away!

Cheers, Mick.

• Like 1

Brian,

I quite agree with your comments about the 05, I purchased the maroon version and it's quickly become a firm favourite-well made, excellent detail and runs like a dream.  I fitted sound with the speaker in the housing provided and I'm very happy with the result.  I love the little marker lights, I just need someone to tell me how I can have them lit at both ends together at all times.

I hope traders have overstocked and at sometime in the future offer them at bargain prices, I'll be in there straight away!

Cheers, Mick.

Hi Mick,

If they are to be had at bargin prices,then i hope it`s sooner rather than later, as i`m thinking of getting another one after crimbo. As i want a BR green one and don`t really want to re-paint the loco.(change modelling of plans!)

I could have two green ones though......... :help:

Cheers,

Brian.

I love the little marker lights, I just need someone to tell me how I can have them lit at both ends together at all times.

Cheers, Mick.

Hi Mick,

You should have a function for shunting lights on your decoder,which will give you the constant red & White lights at each end.

Not sure who`s your using,(ESU?) but on mine,which is a Zimo MX644C,its F9.

Cheers,

Brian.

Also agree with you guys,I've got a green one with wasp stripes and it really is a good model,not done anything with it yet but I'll also be fitting a Mr Soundguy chip to it and numbering it as either D2578 or one of the ones based at Goole.

There was a test moulding of the 03 at Warley and its looking very promising to be another winner.

Rob

Also agree with you guys,I've got a green one with wasp stripes and it really is a good model,not done anything with it yet but I'll also be fitting a Mr Soundguy chip to it and numbering it as either D2578 or one of the ones based at Goole.

There was a test moulding of the 03 at Warley and its looking very promising to be another winner.

Rob

Be warned that the Goole based locos had differences in the radiator and cab windows compared to the model Heljan have produced in 'O', which is a Scottish version.

Paul J.

'Excuse me - the end of the queue is over here'  Whoops! Didn't see you standing there Ozzie, I'll fall in behind you....

Brian,

Thanks for the info on the marker lights, I'm using a MX644D, I'll check later today to see if it's F9 too, I'm more of a Plug 'n Play sort of bloke so things like this tend to escape me.

Out of interest for anyone who is unsure, the plug required for the speaker is : Micro JST SH 1.0mm 2 Pin Connector F/Wire M/Plug 100mm.  I got mine from Dalewood Models of Blackpool, about £3.50 for ten inc. P & P.

Cheers, Mick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

D2578 definitely had a non standard font for the numbers, possibly even hand painted on, which is what we did when we restored the prototype.

D2578 original numbers on RH cab side. This side had carried at least 2 sets of numbers, indicating a repaint at some time.

post-7146-0-01594600-1525024796_thumb.jpg

On the LH cab side. Only one set of numbers on this side. We suspected this side had been damaged at some time, there were signs of accident damage else where on the running plate, and replaced. Note the numbers had a black line around them.

post-7146-0-52748800-1525024811_thumb.jpg

Our restoration efforts.

post-7146-0-19222500-1525025815_thumb.jpg

We did take measurements of the original numbers so that we could replicate them, so if any transfer manufacturer wanted to replicate them, we have measurements available.

Paul J.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

D2578 definitely had a non standard font for the numbers, possibly even hand painted on, which is what we did when we restored the prototype.

D2578 original numbers on RH cab side. This side had carried at least 2 sets of numbers, indicating a repaint at some time.

attachicon.gifMoreton 6024 11-08-02.jpg

On the LH cab side. Only one set of numbers on this side. We suspected this side had been damaged at some time, there were signs of accident damage else where on the running plate, and replaced. Note the numbers had a black line around them.

attachicon.gifMoreton 7025.jpg

Our restoration efforts.

attachicon.gif2008_051111thmay0010.JPG

We did take measurements of the original numbers so that we could replicate them, so if any transfer manufacturer wanted to replicate them, we have measurements available.

Paul J.

In the images they look more a cream colour than white? If you have the dims then feel free to PM me.

attachicon.gifMoreton 6024 11-08-02.jpg

attachicon.gifMoreton 7025.jpg

Our restoration efforts.

attachicon.gif2008_051111thmay0010.JPG

Paul J.

Paul,thank you for your detailed reply and it wasn't just my wonky eyes seeing things!,it all adds to the interesting history of these locos.

Rob

Paul,thank you for your detailed reply and it wasn't just my wonky eyes seeing things!,it all adds to the interesting history of these locos.

Rob

Too many late night fishing trips on your fishing boat Rob! :) Edited by HullCityB17

I've recently taken one of the yellow CEGB 05's in 7mm and changed it with some 'Rule 1' licence to a loco for a cement works. I've added additional air tanks and some associated pipework on the buffer beams to facilitate the use with air braked stock.

The body was kept the same colour and Steve at Railtec transfers made up some 'Blue Circle' emblems and words. I then received some number and works plates from Narrow Planet and fitted them.

The loco has also been fitted with an ESU decoder with a small sugar cube speaker behind the radiator grille, as Howes in their wisdom supplied a 23mm round speaker when there is only a 20mm hole to fit it into!!!

I've weathered the loco as a work worn cement works shunter, with staining and cement dust crud around the loco. I also fitted a driver from the Modelu range.

Here are a few pictures:

post-14906-0-28273100-1525158646_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-01028400-1525158662_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-40516400-1525158681_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-22246000-1525158691_thumb.jpg

And a short video if her in action:

Jinty ;)

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've recently taken one of the yellow CEGB 05's in 7mm and changed it with some 'Rule 1' licence to a loco for a cement works. I've added additional air tanks and some associated pipework on the buffer beams to facilitate the use with air braked stock.

The body was kept the same colour and Steve at Railtec transfers made up some 'Blue Circle' emblems and words. I then received some number and works plates from Narrow Planet and fitted them.

The loco has also been fitted with an ESU decoder with a small sugar cube speaker behind the radiator grille, as Howes in their wisdom supplied a 23mm round speaker when there is only a 20mm hole to fit it into!!!

I've weathered the loco as a work worn cement works shunter, with staining and cement dust crud around the loco. I also fitted a driver from the Modelu range.

Here are a few pictures:

attachicon.gifWB 239.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 244.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 243.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 247.jpg

http://youtu.be/oQrv2pxp888

Jinty ;)

Thought I was looking at the real thing in these photos, such is the excellent modelling. Amazing photos and loco work.

John

• Agree 1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xIwzKZDTZPA"frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jinty ;)

Very nice bit of weathering there.

A real 05 in action, complete with grotty gear change crunch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xIwzKZDTZPA?rel=0"frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paul J.

Edited to try and get video to work!

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 1

At the risk of being accused of sacrilege, I have backdated one to represent the first ones which replaced the J70 trams at Ipswich docks. The mods include reducing the cab by a scale foot and rebuilding the windows. The buffers need replacing as the early ones were large round ones. There are additionally two large air tanks on each side and the front steps need replacing. Then sprayed black all over. All done pretty easily but the wheels are still too big as the early ones had smaller ones. I am quite pleased with the result.

Martin

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

As it’s now a year or two down the line since these models appeared, I wondered if owners might comment on any issues that might have arisen, specifically in terms of running quality.

I think I read somewhere that some classes, though not the 05, have experienced gear problems,  but this is not something I have personally experienced, so it may well be unfounded.  

I resurrected the thread because I am contemplating purchasing an 05 and thought there might be an opportunity to ask members opinions, based their experience of operating the model for some time.

Best regards

Adrian