Locomotion announce prototype HST

Andy Y

If my memory is correct then Locomotion / Rapido have at least 2 projects on the go

One is the HSDT prototype which I believe was announced at around the end 2015

If we take the APTE time frame as an example then the project could take 2 to 2.5 years.

The other project is still a mystery but I believe something will be available at the Warley Show.

I’m still hoping it will be a P Train

​Jason (Rapido) or Sandra (Locomotion) please correct me if I am wrong

John

Plus the Stirling Single so if there is a mystery one that is 3 projects.

The last thing was the NRM deciding who should do the Mk3s.

Rapido doubtless considered them until Oxfords announcement, then there is Hornby too.

I think they scratching their heads around this rather long train, thinking about the best packages to offer (on the ordering side, doubtless many of us will do the same once they are known).

If my memory is correct then Locomotion / Rapido have at least 2 projects on the go

If we take the APTE time frame as an example then the project could take 2 to 2.5 years.

The other project is still a mystery but I believe something will be available at the Warley Show.

John

I too would love it to be P-Train, but in there last newsletter this was on the bottom:

Mystery project redux

Finally, just a little note about the mystery project that we've been working on with our as yet undisclosed partner. Both will finally be revealed - for sure this time - at the Warley Show in November. Yes, this year. We will be showing off the new model with final painted samples and we promise that they will be worth the wait.

We've just approved the first set of samples and found very little of fault so we're happy to move along to the next stage of the development. We're particularly proud of the motor and final drive configuration, which is amazingly smooth for a first sample, as well as being completely hidden and as close to prototypical as we can make it without shoehorning an actual small diesel engine in there. Oops, I may have given away too much!

Maybe just a ploy, P-Train is electric, not diesel, but you know what these crazy guys are like!!!

As for the MK3 coaches, Oxford's look stunning, as long as the colour match is correct then I'm sold, Would like coach lighting in them which may now be possible and I'll stick a decoder in them to control them anyway, as long as the HSDT's have NEM coupling pockets at the same height I have no issues at all.

Stop the head scratching guys, You've built the best, now give APT-E a rival,,,

Edited by UP 4000

Maybe just a ploy, P-Train is electric, not diesel, but you know what these crazy guys are like!!!

Remember APT-P had a diesel gen set for 'something'. There was a video of it in Crewe Heritage doing an engine start (Old footage), just spent an hour trying to find it but seems to have dissapeared.

Remember APT-P had a diesel gen set for 'something'. There was a video of it in Crewe Heritage doing an engine start (Old footage), just spent an hour trying to find it but seems to have dissapeared.

Is this what you are referring to? 

From Wiki :-

Although all auxiliary equipment such as lighting, air conditioning and air compressors was powered by motor alternators driven from the 25 kV overhead line, it was recognised that if there were a power failure, conditions in the passenger vehicles would quickly become unbearable and even unsafe. Each driving van trailer i.e. the leading and trailing vehicles, was equipped with a diesel-alternator generator capable of supplying the minimum requirement of auxiliary power. The diesel-alternators were started using air motors powered from the train's air system, since the APT carried few batteries.

John

The other project is the GNR Stirling Single. Anything else is nothing to do with Locomotion Models as far as I'm aware.

Jason

I thought that Rapido were planning on releasing the trailer cars as well?

I'm not buying one and then using Railroad standard Oxford Rail models I'm afraid. It's top of the range models or nothing.

Jason

How do you know they are railroad standard, they haven't even been released yet! 

She's still not diesel driven though, I suppose like the dale unit on E-Train, good for starting and auxiliaries when needed, anyway just over a month before the Warley show when hopefully it's announced, wish I could be there, but hey ho, not possible.

I thought that Rapido were planning on releasing the trailer cars as well?

I'm not buying one and then using Railroad standard Oxford Rail models I'm afraid. It's top of the range models or nothing.

Jason

More superior than railroad! Your choice, if you don't like, then don't buy, At the moment these are the best on the market and will take some beating,,,

How do you know they are railroad standard, they haven't even been released yet! 

Have you looked at anything from Oxford Rail?

Adams Radial tank, Dean Goods, LNER cattle wagon, PO wagons with liveries that aren't even correct to the type of wagon. They all have issues. If they aren't Railroad standard then I don't know what is.

So lets wait and see. But I'm not expecting much from a £35 coach.

Jason

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As has been reported on the Rapido thread - Rapido have announced that they and Locomotion have put this project on pause for the time being. Not dead, but not going anywhere for now.

Shame. I hope the project's brought back to life at some stage.

But given that I'd bought the bits to make one before it was announced, I'll just have to get off my backside and get on with it!

Cheers

Rob

As has been reported on the Rapido thread - Rapido have announced that they and Locomotion have put this project on pause for the time being. Not dead, but not going anywhere for now.

Shame. I hope the project's brought back to life at some stage.

But given that I'd bought the bits to make one before it was announced, I'll just have to get off my backside and get on with it!

Cheers

Rob

Here's the full text of the announcement in Rapido's latest UK newsletter

Prototype HST gets a caution signal

I have news about the Prototype HST Power Car project being produced in partnership with Locomotionmodels.com. When I was in Shildon this month, we sat down together and had a detailed look at the finances of the HSDT project. Due to the drop of the value of the pound and its continuing instability, we feel that the Prototype HST model is not financially viable at present.  

The project has not been cancelled, but like several mainline electrification projects in the UK it has been 'paused' for the time being. I know this will be enormously disappointing for my fellow modern-image modellers, but the realities of the economic situation can't be avoided.  

Stay tuned to future newsletters for more information about this project.  

Just read the same news letter, where is the whinge, moan, berated howling of dispere button?

Well I was starting to think if I buy just this loco or the entire train especially prices are heading well north.

Oh Rapido, if only you had entered the market 10 years earlier....

But fully understandable the need to pause at this variable time.

I hope someone will now make some brass etches for the grills so that a good conversion can be made from a donor HST. I have a pair of Genesis cab castings, but they need a lot of work to make them look good. That said it is also a long term project for myself, as there are other kits and conversions lined up ahead of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read the bad news - gutted!! Damn brexit

Politics, eh? It penetrates even the most important aspects of life. The one crumb of comfort is that the HSDT han’t been cancelled but I can’t see the situation becoming favourable enough for it to resume. Very sad. If this isn’t viable, what chance have we of someone doing the Fell or 10800?