A Lancashire Triangle Revisited

Arthur

A Lancashire Triangle Revisited

I noticed this new book announced in Triangle Publishings ad. in the back of this months Bylines and have just ordered a copy.

Being born and brought up in the area I'm a big fan of Triangles books covering, as they do, the railways of central Lancashire.

This new book is a revision of an earlier publication with, apparently, some rewritten text and a virtually complete set of new photos. There's also a few pages on the Black Harry line, not often covered, and as it ran right by my old school, that'll be of particular interest.

• RMweb Gold

post-6662-0-93320100-1449313683_thumb.jpg

Author : Dennis Sweeney

Publisher : Triangle Publishing

ISBN : 978 09550030-73

Another book in the Lancashire Triangle series, this time it contains material to supplement volumes 1 and 2.

Another fantastic collection of photographs of the triangle area - centred on Wigan.

If you like the LMR  in the North West then buy it (imho).

No connection other than a happy customer who loves the railways in this area.

Many thanks for that link Beast. I'll def get one, it'll be my Xmas present from the kids !!

I have nearly all of the Triangle books, they are well written and very well illustrated with plans also. As well as Lancashire Triangle Vols 1 & 2  the 4 books by Triangle publishing, also by Dennis Sweeney are also superb These are The Lancashire Union, The Wigan Branch Railway, The Wigan Junction Railway and The St Helens & Wigan Junction Railway. Also by Triangle is Plodder Lane for Farnworth by Bert Holland, a superb book on the LNWR lines to Bolton Great Moor Street.

South Lancashire, Wigan / St Helens / Bolton / Atherton areas have had little in the way of railway books over the years. These books have addressed that issue well.

As a Wigan lad I have them all (or will have soon) !!

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for that link Beast. I'll def get one, it'll be my Xmas present from the kids !!

I have nearly all of the Triangle books, they are well written and very well illustrated with plans also. The 4 books by triangle publishing, also by Dennis Sweeney are also superb These are The Lancashire Union, The Wigan Branch Railway, The Wigan Junction Railway and The St Helens & Wigan Junction Railway. Also by Triangle is Plodder Lane for Farnworth by Bert Holland, a superb book on the LNWR lines to Bolton Great Moor Street.

South Lancashire, Wigan / St Helens / Bolton / Atherton areas have had little in the way of railway books over the years. These books have addressed that issue well.

As a Wigan lad I have them all (or will have soon) !!

Brit15

I have the complete set - got this one for my birthday a few weeks back.

The LNWR Platt Bridge Junction (box) photo is fantastic as is Speakmans sidings in colour - Nurse, the screens !!

C'mon gents, keep up with the pace....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105447-a-lancashire-triangle-revisited/

Seriously, another excellent book from Triangle, mine too will be living under the tree 'til Christmas. Particularly looking forward to the Black Harry photos. Speakman's as well, as a kid I literally stumbled on that bit of railway infrastructure where BR and NCB met in the middle of Worsley woods. Got my first look at North Staffs No. 2 working there that same day.

I missed your original thread Arthur - so thanks to both you and Beast.

I now have a copy, though laid up for Xmas !.

I had to pop into a wild and windy Wigan this afternoon, so popped into the Wigan museum & history shop in Library St. The lady said they only arrived yesterday and had just put one on display this morning. A quick flick through, it's a good book. Not a bad shop that for local history books, Godfrey maps & Uncle Joes mint balls !!!.

Brit15

Platt Wazz (sorry, Bridge) signalbox refered to by Beast.

This signal box controlled both high & low level lines. The high level being the Springs Branch & Ince Moss to Manchester via Tyldesley line, and the low level being the Whelley loop, both LNWR.  This view looking south west, the lower level double track curving to the right dove under the WCML and joined the slow lines at Bamfurlong Jcn, the single line to the left (and loop off it) directly joining the up fast WCML at the same location. All lines box etc are now long gone.

xchw0jf2.jpg

Courtesey of Wigan World, many good Wigan railway & other pictures (under Railways)

http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/album2.php?opt=3

Wigan and its complex network of railways really needs a thread of it's own. Anyone interested ?

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Good to see these excellent books from the mid 1990's being re-printed, brings back good memories of shed bashing ( and travelling by motorcycle :-) ) in that area in the last years of steam.

Vols 1 and 2 are (available as) reprints but this one is new, with new material.

• RMweb Gold

Platt Wazz (sorry, Bridge) signalbox refered to by Beast.

This signal box controlled both high & low level lines. The high level being the Springs Branch & Ince Moss to Manchester via Tyldesley line, and the low level being the Whelley loop, both LNWR.  This view looking south west, the lower level double track curving to the right dove under the WCML and joined the slow lines at Bamfurlong Jcn, the single line to the left (and loop off it) directly joining the up fast WCML at the same location. All lines box etc are now long gone.

That's the BR box, the LNWR one was to the right and would be just peaking into the photo - very nice photo, thanks.

Archived