Manchester Metrolink - Second City Crossing

Thanks for these.  That canopy at Exchange Square makes it look as if it is on a steep hill - but unless something has changed drastically the tramway is practically level and the canopy slopes! 

The footbridge marks the site of the 1996 IRA bombing which arguably triggered the renaissance of this part of Manchester.  Now totally unrecognisable. 

I hope the above is of interest.  I make fairly regular visits to Manchester so I'll provide updates as and when I can.

Certainly is! Please keep the reports coming! I don't get to Manchester very often so it will be of great interest to see the progress.

Lots of driver training trams going through Victoria to and from Exchange Square last night. The centre platform at Victoria is currently OOU, as seems the middle one at Deansgate-Castlefield.

The change I have noticed from the last time I used Metrolink is that the East Didsbury trams now come from Bury, not Rochdale.

• RMweb Gold

I'm a regular (daily) user of Metrolink and the "middle" platform at Deansgate-Castlefield is used for a single tram to Altrincham to turn back.

The junction at the westerly end of Deansgate-Castlefield has 3 points but I think they got them too close as trams aren't allowed to pass each other when both are using the turnout routes.

l l

l l

l\l\     <-- No passing here if a tram is heading to Cornbrook from the "middle" road.

l l \          and a tram is arriving at Deansgate-Castlefield from Cornbrook.

l l  l

l l  l

One comment I have on the 2CC is that the works at St Peters square are taking a seemingly eternally long time to make any sort of progress.

Having said all that the Metrolink network and service is excellent.

Kev.

(I might post some pictures here too.)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

All the Phase 3 stations bar a couple of "specials" were constructed from "a kit of parts".  Pre-fabricating the concrete platform segments in a factory minimises work on site and therefore also reduces cost, disruption and safety risk to the workforce. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived