Manchester Metrolink - Second City Crossing

it did sound like a central command centre problem, but a bit worrying if something can stop the whole system. Would have thought they would have built something into system so this could not happen. Sounds a bit like someone has not asked ' what if...?'. It also sounded like there was no alternative transport to replace the trams. Typical accountants worrying more about the cost than the problems that can arise when you don't build in contingency to the system. Saw it too many times in IT.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today I walked from Deansgate/Castlefield to Market St. because there were no trams!

It took the opportunity to photograph progress works en route as it wasn't raining. 

This is a view of the rather magnificent Midland Hotel looking north towards St. Peters Sq. from the Deansgate/Castlefield stop direction.

This is where the two lines merged to form the single line section leading up Moseley St. The works are to reinstate the double line running here.

post-12815-0-54125100-1467325295_thumb.jpg

A load being dumped into a dumper!

post-12815-0-57054400-1467325310_thumb.jpg

The side of the Midland Hotel looking north towards St Peters Sq.

New Overhead Masts are ready, lying on their sides, waiting for their final installation.

post-12815-0-62407300-1467325324_thumb.jpg

A rather Grand view of Central Library and Manchester City Council from the southern end of St Peters Sq.

The near line is the (down) ex-single line section from Piccadilly to Deansgate/Castlefield.

The middle line will form the Up line towards Piccadilly Gardens.

The far line will form the Up line of the 2CC.

(I think)

post-12815-0-59672600-1467325347_thumb.jpg

Here the 2CC joins the Down line. The view is north all the way up Mosley St. towards Piccadilly Gardens in the far distance.

post-12815-0-30695000-1467325363_thumb.jpg

This view shows the canopy of the UP lines into Manchester city centre.

Once again, Metrolink have created a station where there is NOT continuous covered Platforms. It can't be as if they don't know it rains here!

Also, the route on the recommended path for the Deansgate/Castledfeild stop, from St. Peters Sq., is for 'wheeled' access and this zig-zag route is much longer than the direct route down Lower Mosley St.

post-12815-0-28282600-1467325381_thumb.jpg

This is the view west, from St. Peters Sq. down Princess St. towards Albert Sq.

post-12815-0-84981800-1467325396_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

A view of St. Peters Sq. looking south.

This shows the construction of the 'block nature' of the Platforms which may seem to be quick but there was a lot of ground and foundation preparation required before the 'blocks' could be placed into position.

post-12815-0-29322000-1467327332_thumb.jpg

Mosley St. looking north where the single line section split back into the double running lines.

post-12815-0-40122500-1467327349_thumb.jpg

A close-up of where the single line section split back into the double running lines.

post-12815-0-17806100-1467327378_thumb.jpg

These next three shots show the Earth bonding of the overhead (750vdc) to the running rails so that St. Peters Sq. is safe to work in.

post-12815-0-52789000-1467327393_thumb.jpg

That Danger sign is for real.

Don't be fooled that it is safe as "it is all Earthed". Disconnected those down leads and they will 'float up' to what ever the overhead wants to be!!!

post-12815-0-49826000-1467327420_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-61489700-1467327433_thumb.jpg

Kev.

(Edited to change the overhead voltage supply to 750vdc.)

• RMweb Gold

Every time I look at these modern tramway construction views I try to puzzle out how the rails will be changed when they are worn.

..by many months worth of total possession.

They had to replace the rubber vibration insulation that failed on the original rails. Many years ago now.

(Metrolink are very fond of long total possessions!)

Progress does appear to be slow - but not as slow as the Birmingham city centre works.

(I guess I have got used to the speed of construction in China!!!!)

Kev.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It all looks so different from when I used to work there.

I hardly recognise the area.....

I agree.

How many others remember that brilliant Bassett Lowke shop on the way down Corporation Street towards Manchester Victoria?

And IIRC Manchester and Stockport trams used to run actually from Albert Square (in front of the town hall) out to the Rising Sun, Hazel Grove along the A6.

Why is it that all these works look a lot easier than the task of putting the trams back down Princes Street Edinburgh?

dh

• RMweb Premium

I went to Bassett Lowke with my Dad to buy some 1/8 inch steam pipe. ISTR it was stuffed to the rafters with parts of all kinds. Must have been in the '50s.

Edit to say. About where the inbound platform of Exchange Square Metrolink stop is.

• RMweb Gold

Well, they managed it!

Opened by the end of August - according to the BBC:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-37197200

I will find out tomorrow on my commute to Exchange Quay.

I can't wait for the "Traffic Centre" extension to be built!

(Although ground clearance work has commenced, at Pomona, along with quite a bit of ground investigations been done along Trafford Wharf Rd.)

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

The re-opening of St. Peters square IS a significant event in the progress of the 2CC.

After all, half of the track work through the square is the 2CC but you are right - only the Mosley St. line (or 1CC?) has (re)opened.

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

The re-opening of St. Peters square IS a significant event in the progress of the 2CC.

After all, half of the track work through the square is the 2CC but you are right - only the Mosley St. line (or 1CC?) has (re)opened.

Kev.

That is why "only" is inverted commas.  They are to be congratulated indeed.  As has been stated, I think elsewhere, look at the protracted work in Edinburgh by comparison.

And as Russ has pointed out, there is only 30m of rail to lay.  Maybe we will get an early Christmas present, ala Exchange square?

Archived