Bord na Mona Railways

Nearholmer

Hello,

Just raising a flag really ........ Anyone out there currently modelling Bord na Mona railways?

I've long been a fan, and have visited them all, but modelling-wise that hasn't translated into much: in 15mm/ft scale, the acquisition of an old Essel Engineering 'Wagonmaster', the forever-unfinished conversion of an LGB Deutz 0-4-0DS into a typical BnM one, and a couple of wagons.

Seems a strangely overlooked set of prototypes for modelling, yet 'everyone' models the earlier common-carrier 3ft gauge.

Regards, Kevin

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I also visited the Bord na Mona lines )in the 1990s). They have a unique character. Possibly the rolling stock (trains of turf wagons) & operation is rather standardised to appeal to modellers?

Then there is the craic: 'What did the Bog Man say to Irish Pete?'

"Torf Lok!"

Dava

• 1 year later...

Even if nobody seems interested in this topic, I feel driven to post this picture that I took this morning .......

How can people NOT build models of locos as hardcore as this one ......., beats all those pretty little Victorian tea kettles!

It is LM411, which has been heavily refurbishedsince I last saw it, which was when it was brand new about 15 years ago.

post-26817-0-40616600-1496584464_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 8

Even if nobody seems interested in this topic, I feel driven to post this picture that I took this morning .......

How can people NOT build models of locos as hardcore as this one ......., beats all those pretty little Victorian tea kettles!

It is LM411, which has been heavily refurbishedsince I last saw it, which was when it was brand new about 15 years ago.

Lovely stuff Nearholmer, :)  i have tried my best to replicate one as you'll now know, it's based on LM-226, using plastic card and a ready to run Swift 16 chassis, and Timpdon electronics powered by a 9v. battery...i had no plans and just an old video to copy off, so its not exactly to scale or to every rivet detail but i hope it has the right look. :no:

post-31611-0-62538600-1496587053_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-57469900-1496587090_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-68159200-1496587149_thumb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I think you've captured the look to perfection.

The various locos are quite varied anyway, because the design is forever progressing. You'll notice that LM411 has the rear sandboxes more accessible (there was a constant problem with sand in the cabs of locos) and, less obviously, the whole cab is now mounted on anti-vibration dampers, which cuts out a great deal of discomfort.

What surprised me this time was how many Wagonmasters still survive with original engine and transmission. I thought that most of them had been either rebuilt or sidelined i recent years. Below is LM266.

K

post-26817-0-00996200-1496596650_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DSCN0232.JPG.cae74b1cf0654f89c8213aedb5735279.JPGBy contrast another fairly important component of the Bord na Mona system.  These are the wagon tipplers at Shannonbridge power station in 2003 when they were nearly new.

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photo
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

You'd be hard-pressed to call them pretty, but they do have a certain appeal. I'm a big fan of that ramshackle, make-do-and-mend look. Anyway, here's a website with some great photos.

http://www.ribblevalleyrail.co.uk/Irish%20Bog%20Railways.htm

My eye was rather caught by the converted Massey-Ferguson tractor, which they considerately built so that a modeller could easily hide a motor bogie under the body.

• 2 years later...

Very rare footage of one of the Barclay 0-4-0WT in action, bringing turf off the bog to Portarlington GS in 1950 https://esbarchives.ie/2018/11/23/portarlington-peat-station/

Skip to c3:00 if you find the rather unbelievable plot of the story too much for you!

Also, if you follow this link and look at the film of the IRRS Visit to Portarlington in 1964, it contains good footage of the Barclays being "man shunted" out of their shed for a moment of fresh air https://esbarchives.ie/2017/02/06/irrs-tour-of-ardnacrusha-september-1962/

I'd be very interested if anyone local to any of the existing railways has news of how things are proceeding during the pandemic, and whether it is now expected that any of the lines will persist into 2021. I'd hoped to make one last big safari to visit them all this summer, but in the UK we are very firmly locked-down, and will be for a good while yet, so I can't imagine that happening.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

I think Stephen Johnson, who compiled the "spotters guide" to BnM locos, built a small 009 layout with two or three locos, which may have been covered in Railway Modeller ......... good few years ago, though, maybe early 2000s.

• RMweb Premium

I too was hoping to get over to video the BNM this year. 

Narrow Planet did a 009 kit for the Wagonmaster, I think James Hilton was involved with it.  I really would like a 0-16.5mm Wagonmaster kit, or two.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/04/2020 at 12:18, ColinK said:

I really would like a 0-16.5mm Wagonmaster kit, or two.

It should really be 0-21. I'm not being a purist, you can run on any gauge you like but I'm building a short 0-21 line for 3ft gauge.

Dava

On 29/04/2020 at 11:02, sir douglas said:

i think i once came across a website for some modelling in 009 but this was along time ago

Richard Insley did an 1960s Irish Peat Bog Railway several years ago in 009.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 11 months later...
On 29/04/2020 at 11:38, Nearholmer said:

I think Stephen Johnson, who compiled the "spotters guide" to BnM locos, built a small 009 layout with two or three locos, which may have been covered in Railway Modeller ......... good few years ago, though, maybe early 2000s.

I did indeed and I am still building odd bits and pieces of BnM stock. I must correct you however, it's not OO9, but OOn3, which in 4mm scale is the correct 12mm gauge representing 3ft gauge. There were a couple of 2ft gauge systems, such as Glenties for example, but I'm not modelling those.

As for the Ferguson Rail Tractors, try this effort with a model of the vehicle it was hauling!

20210510_221005.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Hello Stephen,

First, thanks for the book, which was hugely useful when I was first exploring these lines.

Second, great models, and apologies for mid-remembering the gauge.

Kevin

Thanks for the kind comments Kevin and I'm glad you found my BnM book useful. There is an updated version in preparation to include all the changes since written. No problem with the gauge.

Richard Insley did do a small Irish Peat layout, but I seem to remember that it was TTn3 scale, that is 3mm/ft on 9mm track. If Charles is on here maybe he could confirm?

Now I've broken cover, my 'handle' is probably an obvious choice!

Edited by Wagonmaster
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Dava said:

Link to the Wagonmaster 7mm scale loco project

Thanks for that link. I've been following Andy's articles on this project in Railway Modeller with interest.

One point though, the locomotive illustrated is not a Wagonmaster, but one of the later diesel-hydraulic Hunslets which are normally referred to as a Hunslet DH. Great looking model, pity it's not available in 4mm scale.

Just as a matter of interest though, below is my scratchbuilt version of a Hunslet DH in 4mm scale running on 12mm gauge track.

Hunslet-DH.gif

Edited by Wagonmaster
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just to keep interest up.

15mm/ft, made by Edsel Engineering. The unusual livery and name were on it when I bought it. Plan was to put it into “realistic” condition, but it has become an ornament, because the wheel profile doesn’t get on with the points on my garden line - the flanges are too thin for LGB points, and have a tendency to ‘pick’ the blades at facing points. Nice model though, all metal and well made.

C1040C26-CC06-41B9-AC37-663631EF175C.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Lot of information and colour photo's in this months, no.11, "Narrow gauge steam(-and other railway curiosities)" magazine on the Bord na Mona peat railways.