High Speed Diesel Train (HSDT) - The Story continues

MGR Hooper!

Taken from the MREmag page....

http://www.mremag.com/index.php/news/505-locomotionhsdt

Locomotionmodels.com are pleased and proud to announce the production of the groundbreaking High Speed Diesel Train, with the power cars being later designated Class 41 and were the forerunners to the iconic HST.

Working in association with Rapido Trains Inc., Locomotionmodels.com have taken the opportunity at this years Warley Model Railway Exhibition to announce their intention to produce a ‘00’ model of the prototype High Speed Diesel Train as part of their continued plan to introduce collectable iconic motive power units that form the National Collection in Miniature.

Following on from the APT-E, of which production models can be seen on both the Rapido Trains Inc. and Locomotionmodels.com stand at the Warley Show, both brands are keen to use what many believe to be the high spot of the model railway exhibition season to announce the introduction of a ‘00’ scale model of the HSDT.

When asked about this latest Locomotionmodels.com exclusive, Brian Greenwood, Chairman of the Locomotion Management Board said, ”When we first sat down with the team from Rapido to discuss the introduction of the APT-E we all agreed that once the production of the APT-E had started we should move straight into the development of the Class 41 HSDT. To us all sitting around the table it was obvious that one iconic train should follow the other and I am pleased that at last we can announce Phase 2 of our plans.’

Bill Schneider, Rapido’s Product Designer added, ‘Producing the APT-E for Locomotionmodels.com presented us with some special challenges which we were more than capable of overcoming. As for the HSDT, this unit is a natural progression and we are most definitely excited about what we can build in to what we know will be an amazing model’.

The final make up of the HSDT train pack has as yet not been finalised, neither has the eventual retail price and delivery date, however all those interested in the project are encouraged to subscribe to the Locomotionmodels.com Newsletter and watch out for further announcements.

It makes sense to me to model the full train. Pretty pointless otherwise. However, I'm sure Rapido set the price of the APT-E on the low side and the vehicles of this will be more expensive - especially if we have two motored power cars with sound. Add on the number of Mk. IIIs needed and it's going to be difficult to afford for some of us (meaning me).

We also want to avoid chicken and egg - power cars not ordered because the Mk. IIIs aren't available. It will take some clever marketing. The best way might be to make the vehicles available in stages with assurances that all of them will be available eventually.

There have been requests for re-tooled Mk. IIIs. Would it be too risky to develop production Mk. IIIs at the same time? Hornby might react to that or already be planning re-tools. On the other hand, a range of production Mk. IIIs would spread the cost. I think the bogies on the prototypes were different from the production versions for a start. Offhand, I don't know what other differences there are.

A number of the details of the prototype Mk.IIIs were carried over onto the loco-hauled versions (roof vents and buffers) though there are obvious differences too, most notably the doors. Yes, the bogies were slightly different, but only in detail. Of course, you could always hunt out old Jouef ones to modify like this one I (nearly) completed around 35 years ago:

post-1877-0-34058800-1448800394_thumb.jpg

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 3

Good as they were in the day, I am totally confident that Jason and the crew will develop a better Mk3 than Jouef produced. 

Cost wise, there will be no expensive problems with the tilt reproduction, as it was not a tilting train, and whilst the carriages had BT5 vice BT10 bogies and a different electrics/jumpers, the detail differences should mean that it will be possible to reproduce 1x power car body, 1x 1st class coach body, 1x 2nd class coach body, 1x TRUK Kitchen car body, 1x TRSB restaurant/buffet catering vehicle body; the other differences being largely cosmetic in a model, and not particularly difficult to reproduce in 4mm. And no cheese butties to wedge under doors. Paint differences and a second power car, being possibly as a dummy, could be purchasers' own choices.

Those worrying about cost are probably not going to have to worry too much, plus there is likely to be a lead time for these to be produced, meaning diligent saving over the next say 12 months will allow a version of the train to be obtained. 

My one plea to Jason is:- like the APT-E, make it without compromise, (in fact, with less compromise as it doesn't have to tilt), and ensure that it is once again P4 compatible. 

I will be looking like the APT-E, to recreate the complete 1973 train...     ;)

Edited by shreds

Good as they were in the day, I am totally confident that Jason and the crew will develop a better Mk3 than Jouef produced. ...

I'm probaby being thick, but where does it say Locomotion/Rapido are producing the coaches? All I can find is this quote:

"Working in association with Rapido Trains Inc., Locomotionmodels.com have taken the opportunity at this years Warley Model Railway Exhibition to announce their intention to produce a ‘00’ model of the prototype High Speed Diesel Train as part of their continued plan to introduce collectable iconic motive power units [sic] that form the National Collection in Miniature." [my emphasis]

I'd be delighted if they're in fact producing the whole train - but I've only seen reference to the power cars.

Help!

Paul

I'm probaby being thick, but where does it say Locomotion/Rapido are producing the coaches? All I can find is this quote:

"Working in association with Rapido Trains Inc., Locomotionmodels.com have taken the opportunity at this years Warley Model Railway Exhibition to announce their intention to produce a ‘00’ model of the prototype High Speed Diesel Train as part of their continued plan to introduce collectable iconic motive power units [sic] that form the National Collection in Miniature." [my emphasis]

I'd be delighted if they're in fact producing the whole train - but I've only seen reference to the power cars.

Help!

Paul

I don't think it's been said anywhere that the coaches are being produced. What we've been saying is that they ought to be produced.

I've also been wondering why many are saying Mk.3s will be made. Not seen it mentioned anywhere.

Good as they were in the day, I am totally confident that Jason and the crew will develop a better Mk3 than Jouef produced. 

I'm sure they will - if they do them!

If not, then the Jouef has to be the best starting point (and there was no other Mk.3 worth looking at back in the late '70s when I converted that one).

• RMweb Premium

I take "The final make up of the HSDT train pack has as yet not been finalised" in the original announcement to mean that there will be Mk3s, but they haven't yet decided how many will be in the train pack. But others are reading it differently.

My one plea to Jason is:- like the APT-E, make it without compromise, (in fact, with less compromise as it doesn't have to tilt), and ensure that it is once again P4 compatible. 

I don't think Jason has the word 'compromise' in his dictionary.  :D

• Like 1

Hi all,

Bill and I are actually meeting with the NRM tomorrow to discuss our options for the HSDT.

I would like to be able to offer the coaches as well, but it has to make economic sense for us to do it.

My guess is it will be some months before the official announcement with product numbers and pricing, but I may be wrong...  

One thing though. We don't make dummies. While I normally say "never say never," I am pretty sure we will never produce a dummy locomotive again. We did it once - what a mistake. They cost us exactly $6 less than a powered locomotive. That's the cost of the motor. All other costs are the same. 

So all of our Class 41s will be powered. Sorry if that hurts your bank balance! 

-Jason

• Like 9

Hi all,

-Jason

While some may want to save money, others, like myself dislike have two powered vehicles at either end of a train. This is not only due to issues with balance of push/pull but because it is a pain when they go between sections.

Edited by Bomag

Hi all,

Bill and I are actually meeting with the NRM tomorrow to discuss our options for the HSDT.

I would like to be able to offer the coaches as well, but it has to make economic sense for us to do it.

My guess is it will be some months before the official announcement with product numbers and pricing, but I may be wrong...  

One thing though. We don't make dummies. While I normally say "never say never," I am pretty sure we will never produce a dummy locomotive again. We did it once - what a mistake. They cost us exactly $6 less than a powered locomotive. That's the cost of the motor. All other costs are the same. 

-Jason

Don't apologise for not compromising, two powered power cars are what I envisaged anyway. Especially if a full complement of coaches can be assimilated too.

Good luck....can I place my order today?  :imsohappy: