High Speed Diesel Train (HSDT) - The Story continues

MGR Hooper!

As somebody who only has a 4ft long layout, please, please, please produce the power cars as a single rather than twin pack. There are a number of instances where one power car has operated on its own, or as in preservation where 41001 has worked with a production set.

41001 will definitely be available on its own. As for the others, we haven't finalized that yet.

-Jason

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any plans to produce 41002 so that a complete set can be created and are the current Hornby Mk3 coaches suitable for the set apart from needing a repaint.

Yes, Rapido locomotion are doing the power cars and coaches to go with it (although how these will be sold is still in a TBD stage).

No, Hornby mk 3s require physical modifications as well as a repainting to with these power cars. And they will be a long way short of Rapido standards too....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Most (if not all) of the HST-P/HSDT coaches still exist. Some were converted to run with the production HST, a couple joined the Royal Train whilst others went into the Derby RTC fleet and still run today in the NMT.

The Mk3s that ran with the HST-P has buffers fitted and different roofs to the production HST so you'd need to do a little more work to the Hornby models even if you're not critical about the rivets!

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

The preservation group are using loco hauled mk3s, which, generally speaking, feature the same roof vents as the prototype vehicles but have the doors and raised window frames of the production HSTs

Jo

The preservation group are using loco hauled mk3s, which, generally speaking, feature the same roof vents as the prototype vehicles but have the doors and raised window frames of the production HSTs

Jo

It runs with one Mk3a (TSO) with the original vents, a Mk3b FO with the revised vent and a Mk3/Mk3a RFM converted from a HST TRUK. All eight prototype MK3s day coaches are still in use - in HSTs, NMT and the royal train 

Edited by Bomag

Do any of the original coaches exist? If modelling modern image a lick of paint on the Hornby coaches would suffice ( for those of us that aren't that critical about every rivet)

Several years ago I was at Paddington and walking beside an Oxford-bound HST and suddenly realised the first class coach I was passing didn't have window frames... I ground to a halt realising what I was standing next to. I wanted to tell people that they didn't realise how significant this coach was but no-one was nearby :(

Which is why I can't understand Dapol saying the n-gauge box set is a one off item. Surely a sprinkling of HSTD Mk3's in normal liveries would sell well?.

Now, where do Rapido want me to put the money for my order?

Luke

• Like 1

A logical continuation from the APT-E, which looks great, so no doubt this will be good.

Not of interest really to me sadly, but best of luck with it, good to see more items coming to 4mm scale from a diverging number of manufacturers. I'm sure this'll be snapped up by D&E modellers. Now if you decide to produce 3rd rail electrics I'll have to rob a bank ;)

A logical continuation from the APT-E, which looks great, so no doubt this will be good.

Not of interest really to me sadly, but best of luck with it, good to see more items coming to 4mm scale from a diverging number of manufacturers. I'm sure this'll be snapped up by D&E modellers. Now if you decide to produce 3rd rail electrics I'll have to rob a bank ;)

Are you not happy with Dapol’s 73s, DJ Models’ forthcoming 74 or DJ Models’/Hornby’s forthcoming 71’s? On the other hand, are you seeking Class 70 variants? Could it be that it isn’t locomotives at all you want but MUs? Give Locomotion and Rapido a hint! (Class 70s for me, please.)

Are you not happy with Dapol’s 73s, DJ Models’ forthcoming 74 or DJ Models’/Hornby’s forthcoming 71’s? On the other hand, are you seeking Class 70 variants? Could it be that it isn’t locomotives at all you want but MUs? Give Locomotion and Rapido a hint! (Class 70s for me, please.)

With some of the reports of the issues with the 73 I'm reserving judgement until I see one in person (and have the needed funds).

Class 70/71/73/74 could always be found uses for, but yes, multiple units would be welcome. Bulleid ones rather than BR ones to differentiate from the Bachmann EPB/CEP, or maybe Electrostars.

I would buy a prototype HST but only if it has the correct Mark III carriages including both catering cars.  A 7-car set as ran on the WR in the mid-1970s or nothing for me.

6195806429_c8ec743e28_z.jpg252001_WhiteWaltham_29-10-75 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

3424201883_0cef92dc4c_z.jpg?zz=1252001_Iver_4-8-75 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

6132775103_e5f4c03f3d_z.jpgHST_Reading_29-7-75 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Interesting. What were the 7 cars?

Same here! Though really hope somebody does the MK1buffet!

Even if we only got the power cars I'd buy them, i would be hoping for the correct coaches but I wouldn't pass up the chance to own the power cars because the coaches weren't correct :)

• RMweb Gold

Had a poke about the surviving power car on Friday, it appears that the original jumper cables high level ones similar to blue Pullman ones. Prototype mk3s must have evidence of plating over these cables.

Something else I found strange was the ETH is two sockets rather than the usual socket and cable on the opposite side.

When it sounded rather different when ticking over,this I was told that it idles at 750rpm regardless if it has the ETH on, whereas the production ones idled as high as 1000rpm when supplying 3 phase power to the train

Hallo,

If you read the Dapol Ngauge prototype thread there is a link to a website which describes the coaches used. If I remember correctly FO-FO-TRUK-SO-TRSB-SO-SO with the FO at the London end.

All corrections to the above very welcome

es grüßt

pc

As listed in the May 1975 Paddington Station Workings for the 10.15 to Weston-super-Mare: 2 SO, RSB, SO, RUK, 2 FO. Prototype HST. Formed with 0745 from Bristol Parkway (via Bath - this was when the Badminton Route was closed temporarily).  Essentially the same formation as for the production HSTs when first built, although the RUK or TRUK as it became was discontinued after 20 sets and many later sets included a TRUB (essentially a kitchen-buffet with 17 unclassed seats, later first class).

2189464809_9b9a29af48_z.jpg?zz=1HST_Cardiff_12-4-77_m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr