High Speed Diesel Train (HSDT) - The Story continues

MGR Hooper!

I have a vague idea that it had the Mk1 buffet thingie in the consist while we were doing the APT-E high speed tests on the WR in August '75.

Both trains were housed in the long shed at Old Oak Common alongside each other overnight and I thought I saw the Mk1 vehicle then, but I didn't take any photos inside the shed as we were warned not to.

As listed in the May 1975 Paddington Station Workings for the 10.15 to Weston-super-Mare: 2 SO, RSB, SO, RUK, 2 FO. Prototype HST. Formed with 0745 from Bristol Parkway (via Bath - this was when the Badminton Route was closed temporarily).  Essentially the same formation as for the production HSTs when first built, although the RUK or TRUK as it became was discontinued after 20 sets and many later sets included a TRUB (essentially a kitchen-buffet with 17 unclassed seats, later first class).

2189464809_9b9a29af48_z.jpg?zz=1HST_Cardiff_12-4-77_m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Thanks. Do we know which coach numbers for the SO and FOs??

• 3 weeks later...

At the York Show Bill said they were planning a 3D scan of the 252 as soon as it had finished it's 'round robin' tour of various heritage railways.

Knowing the way they worked on the APT-E model I'd guess they have most of the engineering sorted already, and just need to get the body shape correct. 

At the York Show Bill said they were planning a 3D scan of the 252 as soon as it had finished it's 'round robin' tour of various heritage railways.

Knowing the way they worked on the APT-E model I'd guess they have most of the engineering sorted already, and just need to get the body shape correct. 

Thanks Kit

I'm hoping if a deposit is needed like with APT-E, then I'm hoping they don't want £50 for every vehicle up front, 8 coaches upfront is a fair wack of cash if they follow the same ordering method as the apt.

I don't think Rapido have decided on whether or not to make the coaches as well as the locos, in the light that Oxford Diecasts have said that they're going to be doing all possible variants of the Mk III.

I don't think Rapido have decided on whether or not to make the coaches as well as the locos, in the light that Oxford Diecasts have said that they're going to be doing all possible variants of the Mk III.

What all 16 main body variants?

Some where on a previous post I am certain I read rapido were doing the locos and matching coaches. I'm not sure if it was rapido or some one relaying a message from rapido and I,m not going to spend hours looking for that post. I'm not that young any more.

I suspect that  means the Mk3 coaches will be done. As for the Mk3 food service coaches your guess is as good as mine.

As for the Mk1 food service coach it may not be economic for rapido to produce

if rapido don't do the Mk1 coach may be locomotion could commission another manufacturer to do a special repaint on a suitable coach.

Jayson or Locomotion if you are listening you are the ones to give us the correct information

John

Some where on a previous post I am certain I read rapido were doing the locos and matching coaches. I'm not sure if it was rapido or some one relaying a message from rapido and I,m not going to spend hours looking for that post. I'm not that young any more.

I suspect that  means the Mk3 coaches will be done. As for the Mk3 food service coaches your guess is as good as mine.

As for the Mk1 food service coach it may not be economic for rapido to produce

if rapido don't do the Mk1 coach may be locomotion could commission another manufacturer to do a special repaint on a suitable coach.

Jayson or Locomotion if you are listening you are the ones to give us the correct information

John

I don’t think everything has been decided yet. Like you, I think I read that the intention was for Rapido to make the coaches as well. Since then, I’ve read that Locomotion is talking to other manufacturers. So, we might get Rapido coaches, we might get Oxfordrail coaches and we might even (I hope not) get Hornby ones.

In some respects, quite a different project from the APT-E. No tilting to worry about but a much longer train.

Edit: there is bound to be some head-scratching as well. One decoder, two speakers and electrical connections along the whole train? Rather horrible to assemble but allowing remotely controlled coach lighting. Possible because the vehicles are unique. Two sound decoders? Expensive but probably more practical. In any case, probably no more expensive than electrical connections the length of the train. Jason is probably tossing and turning and mumbling in his sleep.

He probably does that anyway.

Edited by No Decorum

There is an article in Model Rail issue 170 of someone scratch building the train, this included the coaches.

He states he had to build 10 coaches because "they had significant differences when compared with the production mk3s, the profile of the vestibule doors and the ends was different, there were no visible roof water hatches, the body side windows were flush and the underframe panels were also different"

He produced a master using a Jouef mk3 for the roof, Lima body, much modified for the sides and ends and did his own CAD drawings to produce an etched under frame.

Manufacturers please be aware....

There is an article in Model Rail issue 170 of someone scratch building the train, this included the coaches.

He states he had to build 10 coaches because "they had significant differences when compared with the production mk3s, the profile of the vestibule doors and the ends was different, there were no visible roof water hatches, the body side windows were flush and the underframe panels were also different"

He produced a master using a Jouef mk3 for the roof, Lima body, much modified for the sides and ends and did his own CAD drawings to produce an etched under frame.

Manufacturers please be aware....

I wrote that feature.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 4