High Speed Diesel Train (HSDT) - The Story continues

MGR Hooper!

While some may want to save money, others, like myself dislike have two powered vehicles at either end of a train. This is not only due to issues with balance of push/pull but because it is a pain when they go between sections.

I am seeing an opportunity for an after-market supplier. Customers can order their very own Rapido de-powering kit for £19.95. It comprises two screwdrivers and a pair of wire nippers!

:jester:

I am seeing an opportunity for an after-market supplier. Customers can order their very own Rapido de-powering kit for £19.95. It comprises two screwdrivers and a pair of wire nippers!

:jester:

No, no, no. Aftermarket depowering service, £49.95. No need for the customers to even touch their prized items...

Hi all,

Bill and I are actually meeting with the NRM tomorrow to discuss our options for the HSDT.

I would like to be able to offer the coaches as well, but it has to make economic sense for us to do it.

My guess is it will be some months before the official announcement with product numbers and pricing, but I may be wrong...  

One thing though. We don't make dummies. While I normally say "never say never," I am pretty sure we will never produce a dummy locomotive again. We did it once - what a mistake. They cost us exactly $6 less than a powered locomotive. That's the cost of the motor. All other costs are the same. 

So all of our Class 41s will be powered. Sorry if that hurts your bank balance! 

-Jason

Well, there are no decent MK IIIs out there right now so....

And as I have a set of the LRC coaches, I just know you will do an uncompromising job on them.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that if Rapido was to announce a range of Mk3 carriages to the same standard as their US / Canadian offerings, they'd be on to a winner.

How there is still no high quality Mk3 on the market is astounding, given their widespread use, liveries and longevity.

Go for it, Jason!

I personally think the MK3 by Hornby is more than adequate. Price wise I don't need anything added (discbrakes etc...)as the MK3s are expensive enough as they are,  present buffer car blunder accepted. And I certainly don't need them to be lit, too gimicky ! 

However a new range of MK3s would be needed for the new power cars. 

Edited by thebritfarmer

In several respects the Prototype HST coaches were nearer to the early loco-hauled stock; production HST coaches were wired in a completely different way, hence the loco-hauled ones were designated Mk.3a as each coach had its own alternator (as did those in the Prototype HST). The Firsts and Seconds also appeared to lack the framing round the windows, but having seen one of the Prototype coaches back in the '80s it became obvious that the framing was there, but the surrounding metal had been joggled so the frame sat flush with the bodyside, the small gap filled with stopper (which was flaking out). The two catering coaches, finished just a little later didn't have this, hence the silver frames were very apparent against the Rail Blue. They still featured the same type of Prototype doors with the separate recess for the door handle though and the window arrangements weren't quite the same as the equivalent TRUK and TRSB in the early production HSTs. Also, as noted earlier, the bogies were an earlier version of what became the BT10. The basic frame and the single spring/pivot/radius arm were employed but the air suspension levelling rods and valves were noticeably different - I wouldn't be surprised if there were other less obvious differences too, though the dampers were mounted vertically whereas those on the Prototype power cars were angled whereas on production power cars they became vertical. Some of the fabric colours on the seats were also different to the production HSTs and the centre saloon partitions were solid, without windows.

Before they entered service they did 'play around' with the livery details (at least one Second had big white '2's in the blue band by the doors and the coach numbers altered more than once). One thing to note is how high up the upper grey band went, basically following the join line between the bodyside and roof panels. So I didn't have a nasty join showing on the converted Jouef coach I sawed off a section of the roof and glued and smoothed the join (except above the doors) to make it invisible. The dark roof part still lifts out, but it's narrower.

I recall the prototype Mk3 coaches running in a West Coast rake in the 1971-2 period when I was at primary school which was located next to the Trent Valley line. I assume they were either on mileage accumulation runs or testing for the loco hauled design. Anyone else have any information? I recall they both had large seating class numbers on the blue band and ran in a then new air conditioned rake of Mk2s, so must have been on a Manchester service.

I do hope the NRM decide to commission the correct Mk3 coaches to go with the power cars, the obvious thing would be to sell them separately so those on more restricted budgets can spread the cost, or perhaps to sell the power cars as an option with the two catering cars and sell the firsts and seconds separately as they would be needed in roughly equal numbers. Either way I think there will be demand for the Mk3s.

As somebody who only has a 4ft long layout, please, please, please produce the power cars as a single rather than twin pack. There are a number of instances where one power car has operated on its own, or as in preservation where 41001 has worked with a production set.