Hornby B12

Wherry Lines

One thing nobody seems to have commented on, was the original small diameter boiler on the 1961 version. Thankfully superceded on the new model! I could forgive most other faults on the early model (otherwise good for the time) but the boiler didn't do it for me. I got a new blue Chinese one for a tenner at Ally Pally a few years ago, same mouldings but a vast improvement on the Margate ones. As for the new one, I picked up my early & late crest ones from T4U on Friday morning. I haven't really had a good look at them yet as I'm in Doncaster for Christmas, but maybe later today when I get back. But as they say, 1st impressions always count....

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

I have mine running with a Dynmometer car and 10 Hornby Pullmans on the hook and the loco just romps away, I am pleased with the performance and detail.

I have no doubt however that the occupants of Pedants Corner are cooking up a long list of defects to regal us with.

In all fairness, a forum is the right place to discuss both the merits and the defects, as you say. We do this both to praise and to collectively approach the solving of any defects or varietal modifications that are deemed necessary.

I'm sure this thread will come to a natural close soon as there don't appear to be any real issues, let alone serious ones and widespread praise, though due, naturally dwindles.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

In all fairness, a forum is the right place to discuss both the merits and the defects, as you say. We do this both to praise and to collectively approach the solving of any defects or varietal modifications that are deemed necessary.

I'm sure this thread will come to a natural close soon as there don't appear to be any real issues, let alone serious ones and widespread praise, though due, naturally dwindles.

Yours is a considered and measured response....as has been the case since you joined this forum....and I heartily endorse your sentiments.However,I think recent "events" elsewhere on RMWeb may well have spooked Aardvark into making his comments,so I think we're aware of the reasons for his misgivings.Some of the critical analysis on display there is anything but "measured" and much of it ill considered.I leave it to your judgement and good sense to glean my meaning.

I acquired my early crest example on Friday and have just got around to giving it a test run. It ran perfectly for about five minutes and then stopped. This was accompanied by a strong burning smell. This is the first time I have ever had a serious problem with any new locomotive. Back to the shop on Saturday. I just hope they have another one.

Edited by Les Bird

Les,

I think you will find the batch which arrived before Christmas, with some variants now being difficult to source were flown in by Hornby pre-holiday period.

I think someone mentioned the 17th or 18th of January for further supplies to reach these shores. I wouldn't worry unduly about replacements.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

Just read the review in Hornby Magazine and watched the video posted by BR(S) above.  I therefore fear I will not be able to resist purchasing an early emblem sample. Did they ever run on excursions into the North Eastern region in early BR days? (he said to himself trying desparately to justify the impending likely purchase).

Unfortunately, nice as it is, the discounted retail price hike of circa 20 quid has dampened my ardour somewhat.

Yours is a considered and measured response....as has been the case since you joined this forum....and I heartily endorse your sentiments.However,I think recent "events" elsewhere on RMWeb may well have spooked Aardvark into making his comments,so I think we're aware of the reasons for his misgivings.Some of the critical analysis on display there is anything but "measured" and much of it ill considered.I leave it to your judgement and good sense to glean my meaning.

Thank you Ian, it's appreciated. I was not aware of issues in another forum thread and extend my apologies where due, to Aardvark if I inadvertently trod on a sore point. 

Regards,

Nick

I have no doubt however that the occupants of Pedants Corner are cooking up a long list of defects to regal us with.

Not wishing to be classed as a pedant, I'm very familiar with 8572 and did the research for its LNER livery. The only obvious slight error I can see on the LNER version is the positioning of the lettering on the front buffer beam. Impressed that Hornby have correctly changed the mud hole door covers on the side of the boiler between the LNER and BR variants. If I was being particularly picky the cab should be green inside on the LNER version with wooden topped seats, and there should be a fine red line on the rear of the front bogie mudguard. However that would be being pedantic - All in all it's an excellent model that has captured the distinctive lines of the real thing exceptionally well and also runs beautifully with great pulling power.

Steve

• Like 4

Further to Les Bird's post above, I picked up my put aside early crest BR loco today. Immediately prior to paying though a customer came in the shop with his B12 to exchange. His apparently had not run ideally, a humming noise and erratic running motor from what I gather (short circuit perhaps?) though I've no idea if it was chipped.

This prompted me to have mine given a trundle on the shop's test track, which seemed to be OK albeit surging at crawl, as if the quartering might be out. Not being totally au fait with modern steam traction models I trust this may bed after running-in?

This post isn't a red-alert klaxon blaring warning BTW, just a suggestion to have your loco tested asap, either in store or at home/club. Not even specifically aimed at the B12 or any other products, it'll certainly spur me on to complete my roundy test phot plank, before the sodding warranties expire on the intended traction for it!

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Premium

Finally! Posty arrived with an apple green one today.

Having never parted with so much dosh for a loco before I have been in great anticipation, having opened the box my first thought was that this engine was worth every penny.

The front pony slop is simply cured, however I'm not one who usually pokes holes in things but is everyone else  happy with the shade of green? Having placed mine next to Bachmann,s A.H.Peppercorn the shade of apple looks a couple of shades too dark. Preserved B12, 8572 seems to match the Bachmann shade!

post-8964-0-53485800-1483055996.jpg

Still I can live with the colour, Bravo Hornby!!! Beautiful model of a graceful prototype. 

Shaun.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Having never parted with so much dosh for a loco before I have been in great anticipation, having opened the box my first thought was that this engine was worth every penny.

The front pony slop is simply cured, however I'm not one who usually pokes holes in things but is everyone else happy with the shade of green? Having placed mine next to Bachmann,s A.H.Peppercorn the shade of apple looks a couple of shades too dark. Preserved B12, 8572 seems to match the Bachmann shade!

DSCF8357.JPG

Still I can live with the colour, Bravo Hornby!!! Beautiful model of a graceful prototype.

Shaun.

Remember you can never go completely by preserved livery colours. Can never guarantee they are accurate. Gorgeous loco.

Regards, Ryan

• Like 1

Even those of us involved closely with paint will accept a shade that is within a certain spectrum. From what I have seen of Hornby and Bachmann products, Bachmann colour looks like paint while Hornby's colours always look plasticky - for want of a better description.

Precision/Phoenix Paints have been around since the dawn of time (well the early 1960's) and I tend to use them as the 'gold standard'. Certainly their LNER Doncaster Green closely matches my sample obtained from Masons or Williamson's (I have forgotten which) transport paint suppliers to the old railway companies. So I would compare Hornby's green with that in a tin of PPC model paint.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Even those of us involved closely with paint will accept a shade that is within a certain spectrum. From what I have seen of Hornby and Bachmann products, Bachmann colour looks like paint while Hornby's colours always look plasticky - for want of a better description.

Precision/Phoenix Paints have been around since the dawn of time (well the early 1960's) and I tend to use them as the 'gold standard'. Certainly their LNER Doncaster Green closely matches my sample obtained from Masons or Williamson's (I have forgotten which) transport paint suppliers to the old railway companies. So I would compare Hornby's green with that in a tin of PPC model paint.

Hornby......are you listening ?

Having never parted with so much dosh for a loco before I have been in great anticipation, having opened the box my first thought was that this engine was worth every penny.

The front pony slop is simply cured, however I'm not one who usually pokes holes in things but is everyone else  happy with the shade of green? Having placed mine next to Bachmann,s A.H.Peppercorn the shade of apple looks a couple of shades too dark. Preserved B12, 8572 seems to match the Bachmann shade!

attachicon.gifDSCF8357.JPG

Shaun.

Bachmann A2 shade is similar to Darlington Green , Rail Match also think this LNER Apple Green as their paint shade is similar.

Hornby have used various shades of Apple Green, most I have seen are either a match to Precision Doncaster Apple Green or on later models slightly darker.

Most people regard Doncaster Apple Green as the only LNER colour, that is incorrect as the two shade were used, as above types.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann A2 shade is similar to Darlington Green , Rail Match also think this LNER Apple Green as their paint shade is similar.

Hornby have used various shades of Apple Green, most I have seen are either a match to Precision Doncaster Apple Green or on later models slightly darker.

Most people regard Doncaster Apple Green as the only LNER colour, that is incorrect as the two shade were used, as above types.

Thanks Mick, I seem to have opened a can of worms. Green worms at that.

There seems to be a lot of confusion over this subject. For instance. Bachmann released a V2 "The Green Howard" which is much darker than Hornby's shade and the box says it is Darlington green. This shade of green I always thought was the colour used by the North Eastern Railway on their pre-grouping passenger engines. My age old jar of RailMatch Darlington green  (621) is close to that too. Darlington continued to out-shop locomotives in the NER green, whether this was due to having stocks of it or not wishing to conform to the change is unclear. 

The only other colour I have is a vintage tin of dried up Humbrol  LNER loco green which is closest to the Airfix/Mainline Shade used on their N2s and J72s. 

Somewhere I have some cigarette cards which illustrate NER passenger engines in a distinctly dark shade of apple green.

The preserved No.1 and J72 69023 both of NER origin vary in colour and are not dark at all more mossy but are preserved examples.

All other pictures of preserved locomotives such as 4472 and 4771 I have in books sport the lighter shades. Again all preserved and my guess is that they were painted using old stored LNER standard green paint from the 1950s.

Hornby's engines appear to be a compromise between the two shades to my eyes, a colour they have stuck with since the release of B17 Manchester United in 1980 and dare I say it a much loved colour by modelers including myself. 

Please accept that I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest, just would like to get to the bottom of it! 

Anyhow, all the gubbins have been fixed in place and the loose bogie cured with a snippet of the straw that comes with a can WD40 (our cotton buds have rolled paper stems), 

Time for a running session.

Regards Squatch.

Received my pair of L/C from Hornby two days ago. They were part-purchased with a 100GBP voucher for a mazak-killed D5512, ironic really, reverse of reality!!

They have both been run-in on a rolling road, no problems, one has had a tender swap with an E/C D16, all the various bits fitted so far so good.

Nice to see moveable cab roof ventilators again.

All in all. absolutely lovely, only the E4 and N7 to do Hornby!

Thank you,

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1

Received my pair of L/C from Hornby two days ago. They were part-purchased with a 100GBP voucher for a mazak-killed D5512, ironic really, reverse of reality!!

They have both been run-in on a rolling road, no problems, one has had a tender swap with an E/C D16, all the various bits fitted so far so good.

Thank you,

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Hornby and others have a much wider choice than those two. Just sticking to The GE origin types, the F3/4/5/6 and 7 classes, J 67/8 and 9. The E4 and F3 shared many of their component parts too. There are many more choices I know, but I agree the E4 and N7 would be nice to see.

My LNER (lovely green) B12 had its first proper run yesterday evening, though still yet to be detailed, it looked splendid with a rake of teaks in tow!

Thank you Hornby, keep up the good work despite my "plastic" getting too much use this year!! Now let me see,

3x blue A4s, 

2x black D16/3s

1x Sentinel

1x B12/3

Wagons various from Oxford

3x Pullmans

and that's what I can remember!!! Scary isn't it?

Happy New year to you all,

Tod

Thank you,

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Don't worry, Hornby will announce an N7. After many years deliberating, I purchased a SEF N7 kit (s/h but untouched) at Warley this year!

Stewart

• Like 2

Thanks Mick, I seem to have opened a can of worms. Green worms at that.

There seems to be a lot of confusion over this subject. For instance. Bachmann released a V2 "The Green Howard" which is much darker than Hornby's shade and the box says it is Darlington green. This shade of green I always thought was the colour used by the North Eastern Railway on their pre-grouping passenger engines. My age old jar of RailMatch Darlington green (621) is close to that too. Darlington continued to out-shop locomotives in the NER green, whether this was due to having stocks of it or not wishing to conform to the change is unclear.

The only other colour I have is a vintage tin of dried up Humbrol LNER loco green which is closest to the Airfix/Mainline Shade used on their N2s and J72s.

Somewhere I have some cigarette cards which illustrate NER passenger engines in a distinctly dark shade of apple green.

The preserved No.1 and J72 69023 both of NER origin vary in colour and are not dark at all more mossy but are preserved examples.

All other pictures of preserved locomotives such as 4472 and 4771 I have in books sport the lighter shades. Again all preserved and my guess is that they were painted using old stored LNER standard green paint from the 1950s.

Hornby's engines appear to be a compromise between the two shades to my eyes, a colour they have stuck with since the release of B17 Manchester United in 1980 and dare I say it a much loved colour by modelers including myself.

Please accept that I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest, just would like to get to the bottom of it!

Anyhow, all the gubbins have been fixed in place and the loose bogie cured with a snippet of the straw that comes with a can WD40 (our cotton buds have rolled paper stems),

Regards Squatch.

LNER Apple Green is a very fickle colour and its appearance can vary greatly depending on the light. In sunshine the colour on 8572 can look deep and rich but can look drab on a dull day. If you had asked me whether 8572 and 61306 where the same colour I'd have said yes until we paired them up (see attachment) - 8572 is more yellow than 61306. Whereas in the other attachment showing 1306 before overhaul it's closer to 8572. The paint on 8572 is from Williamsons and to the same old LNER spec as was previously applied to 4472 and 3442, and by the previous owner to 1306.

Steve

post-12412-0-79130700-1483377276_thumb.jpg

post-12412-0-04787400-1483377293_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve51769
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be a lot of confusion over this subject. For instance. Bachmann released a V2 "The Green Howard" which is much darker than Hornby's shade and the box says it is Darlington green. This shade of green I always thought was the colour used by the North Eastern Railway on their pre-grouping passenger engines. My age old jar of RailMatch Darlington green  (621) is close to that too. Darlington continued to out-shop locomotives in the NER green, whether this was due to having stocks of it or not wishing to conform to the change is unclear. 

The only other colour I have is a vintage tin of dried up Humbrol  LNER loco green which is closest to the Airfix/Mainline Shade used on their N2s and J72s. 

The preserved No.1 and J72 69023 both of NER origin vary in colour and are not dark at all more mossy but are preserved examples.

All other pictures of preserved locomotives such as 4472 and 4771 I have in books sport the lighter shades. Again all preserved and my guess is that they were painted using old stored LNER standard green paint from the 1950s.

Please accept that I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest, just would like to get to the bottom of it! 

Anyhow, all the gubbins have been fixed in place and the loose bogie cured with a snippet of the straw that comes with a can WD40 (our cotton buds have rolled paper stems), 

Regards Squatch.

LNER Apple Green is a very fickle colour and its appearance can vary greatly depending on the light. In sunshine the colour on 8572 can look deep and rich but can look drab on a dull day. If you had asked me whether 8572 and 61306 where the same colour I'd have said yes until we paired them up (see attachment) - 8572 is less more yellow than 61306. Whereas in the other attachment showing 1306 before overhaul it's closer to 8572. The paint on 8572 is from Williamsons and to the same old LNER spec as was previously applied to 4472 and 3442, and by the previous owner to 1306.   

Steve

attachicon.gifNNR Steam Gala 2015-09-05 (3) Cropped and Adj (Lo-Res).jpg

attachicon.gifNNR 2009-03-08 062 (Lo-Res 2) adj.jpg

I wouldn't use either the North Norfolk railway or Bowden as being gospel on Apple green .

Look around 61306 and there is naff branding to try and make it LNER when infact it is a BR loco.

I would have thought it would have been black anyway if it was LNER.

• RMweb Premium

Regards Squatch.

LNER Apple Green is a very fickle colour and its appearance can vary greatly depending on the light. In sunshine the colour on 8572 can look deep and rich but can look drab on a dull day. If you had asked me whether 8572 and 61306 where the same colour I'd have said yes until we paired them up (see attachment) - 8572 is less more yellow than 61306. Whereas in the other attachment showing 1306 before overhaul it's closer to 8572. The paint on 8572 is from Williamsons and to the same old LNER spec as was previously applied to 4472 and 3442, and by the previous owner to 1306.   

Steve

attachicon.gifNNR Steam Gala 2015-09-05 (3) Cropped and Adj (Lo-Res).jpg

attachicon.gifNNR 2009-03-08 062 (Lo-Res 2) adj.jpg

You might be on to something here Steve.

Take a look at this picture I took of the model (Snow on an over cast day Canon set to custom, no photo shop).

Either you're right or someone from Hornby has paid me a visit in the dead of night and swapped it.

post-8964-0-69635200-1483399686_thumb.jpg

Regards Shaun.

• Like 1