Hornby B12

Wherry Lines

I wouldn't use either the North Norfolk railway or Bowden as being gospel on Apple green .

Look around 61306 and there is naff branding to try and make it LNER when infact it is a BR loco.

I would have thought it would have been black anyway if it was LNER.

Russ

As I stated, Williamson mixed the paint for 8572 to LNER spec as used on 4472 and 3442 so it should be correct. Gerald Boden also told me that Williamsons also mixed the paint for 1306 in LNER livery. Can't speak for the paint applied latterly at Washwood Heath but that looks wrong to me. BTW 61306 is in as built LNER green with British Railways branding, it never was LNER black.

Steve

• Like 1

I wouldn't use either the North Norfolk railway or Bowden as being gospel on Apple green .

Look around 61306 and there is naff branding to try and make it LNER when infact it is a BR loco.

I would have thought it would have been black anyway if it was LNER.

although 61306 was built by British Railways it was outshopped in Apple Green carrying British Railways on the tender

Russ

As I stated, Williamson mixed the paint for 8572 to LNER spec as used on 4472 and 3442 so it should be correct. Gerald Boden also told me that Williamsons also mixed the paint for 1306 in LNER livery. 

The fact that Williamson's supplied the paint should be good enough for any of the lineside superintendents and other amateurs on RMweb. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The fact that Williamson's supplied the paint should be good enough for any of the lineside superintendents and other amateurs on RMweb. 

Presumably method of application (brushed, sprayed, number of coats etc) has an affect as well as the original hue? I agree that the most recent finish of 61306 is an odd looking shade - seems to lack the warmth I associate with apple green.

Presumably method of application (brushed, sprayed, number of coats etc) has an affect as well as the original hue? I agree that the most recent finish of 61306 is an odd looking shade - seems to lack the warmth I associate with apple green.

Not to mention the colours of the progressive undercoats...

Myself and a friend both purchased a early crest B12. First impressions were really good, lovely detail and all round finish however after running in, we were both left rather disappointed.

After following Hornby's suggestion in regards to running in, one of them gave up after about an hour with a horrible burning smell and the other one seems to have a tight spot which is more noticeable in reverse, enough to slow the model down and give a jerk like action, which looks to be caused by the quartering being ever so slightly out. We were also both taken by how high geared they were for a new re-tooled model, perhaps if they were lower geared they would have more torque and the tight spot would be less noticeable.

This post isn't aimed at Hornby, just some feedback from what we have found, and more out of interest to see if anyone else has had similar problems. I appreciate I couldn't build one with such a nice detailed finish, but overall and after spending £145, we were both disappointed with the mechanical finish and performance our two models had. They will be going back for refund or exchange tomorrow.

I noticed the motor in mine got quite warm after only 3 circuits of the layout. I found that the brass flywheel at the leading end was hard against the motor. I eased it away very slightly so that there was some freeplay on the armature, added a small drop of oil at each end, and it now circulates with no further heat problem,

A review of another very much anticipated from Hornby. The all new LNER 4-6-0 Holden B12 Class in smart LNER Lined Apple Green. 
Originally designed for the Great Eastern Railway by Stephen Dewar Holden, the S69 as they were then know, was constructed between 1911 and 1921, with total of 71 examples being built. In 1928, a further 10 locomotives were constructed by the LNER, now classified as B12’s.
During 1944, a number of B12’s saw service on Ambulance Trains, hauling American Built Stock, venturing from the Eastern routes, as far as the West Country. 
72 engines passed into British Railways Ownership 1948. Withdrawals took place at regular intervals until the last locomotive was withdrawn in September 1961. One member of the Class has been preserved, and can be currently found on the North Norfolk Railway.
Hornby have done an superb job in capturing the prototype in model form. Featuring a high level of detail, superb cab interior, sprung buffers, plus smooth and powerful running straight from the box, this model is a must for any Eastern Region modeller! 

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCLNuwOdgko

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 2

A review of another very much anticipated from Hornby. The all new LNER 4-6-0 Holden B12 Class in smart LNER Lined Apple Green. 

Originally designed for the Great Eastern Railway by James Holden, the S69 as they were then know, was constructed between 1911 and 1921, with total of 71 examples being built. In 1928, a further 10 locomotives were constructed by the LNER, now classified as B12’s.

During 1944, a number of B12’s saw service on Ambulance Trains, hauling American Built Stock, venturing from the Eastern routes, as far as the West Country. 

72 engines passed into British Railways Ownership 1948. Withdrawals took place at regular intervals until the last locomotive was withdrawn in September 1961. One member of the Class has been preserved, and can be currently found on the North Norfolk Railway.

Hornby have done an superb job in capturing the prototype in model form. Featuring a high level of detail, superb cab interior, sprung buffers, plus smooth and powerful running straight from the box, this model is a must for any Eastern Region modeller! 

Hope you enjoy!

[edit - video deleted]

Not James Holden but his son Stephen Dewar Holden - what else might be lacking in veracity? And why post a basic review in a thread full of information from much more knowledgeable folks with so many posts about the various details of the model and, since release, some criticisms of it's running characteristics and performance???

Edited by Pint of Adnams

Myself and a friend both purchased a early crest B12. First impressions were really good, lovely detail and all round finish however after running in, we were both left rather disappointed.

After following Hornby's suggestion in regards to running in, one of them gave up after about an hour with a horrible burning smell and the other one seems to have a tight spot which is more noticeable in reverse, enough to slow the model down and give a jerk like action, which looks to be caused by the quartering being ever so slightly out. We were also both taken by how high geared they were for a new re-tooled model, perhaps if they were lower geared they would have more torque and the tight spot would be less noticeable.

This post isn't aimed at Hornby, just some feedback from what we have found, and more out of interest to see if anyone else has had similar problems. I appreciate I couldn't build one with such a nice detailed finish, but overall and after spending £145, we were both disappointed with the mechanical finish and performance our two models had. They will be going back for refund or exchange tomorrow.

Go back a couple of pages in this thread and you'll find you;re not alone.

Not James Holden but his son Stephen Dewar Holden - what else might be lacking in veracity? And why post a basic review in a thread full of information from much more knowledgeable folks with so many posts about the various details of the model and, since release, some criticisms of it's running characteristics and performance???

Thank for pointing out the error. Will correct the description. Eastern Region engines are not my strong point. The model is not my own, as I was asked by my friend to review his for him. So we took it to my layout for it's first run. As seen in the video his model was a very good runner. No issues or sticking, so couldn't comment on any faults. I like to keep my reviews short and sweet, so can bit basic to those in the know about the class and it history. 

Again I can only apologizes for the name mix-up. 

• RMweb Premium

Shown on LNER outline diagrams, as seven and a half inches between frame ends, or alternatively 8'3"  7'9" between trailing coupled axle and leading tender axle centres, or 48'3" total wheelbase of loco and tender.

ERROR corrected. For some inexplicable reason ability to perform basic arithmetic apparently departed me at time of original posting...

Somewhat belatedly, just got round to running a ruler over mine today and as accurately as I can measure I make the distance between the trailing coupled axle and the leading tender axle 31mm with the drawbar on the 'short' setting, so no need to make a new drawbar.

• RMweb Premium

Mine is finally in service after the interruption of something called Christmas. Now noisily hauling trains on Orford.

attachicon.gifDSCF8491.JPG

That does look very good!  I've yet to pluck up the courage to take the weathering brush to mine.  I like the red coupling rods, they're something a bit different.  I know from colour photos that Stratford (and Bill Harvey at Norwich) sometimes applied this old GE practice; I wonder how common it was and whether it was applied to 'ordinary' engines as well as those 'tarted up' for railtours etc?

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know a source for the details packs?

I am waiting for one from Ebay missing a front guard iron, although it looks like the other detail parts could do with some fettling. I could always make a cast of the one on it, or make one from scratch

Still it was a good price and little work detailing is always fun.

Jamie

Does anyone know a source for the details packs?

I am waiting for one from Ebay missing a front guard iron, although it looks like the other detail parts could do with some fettling. I could always make a cast of the one on it, or make one from scratch

Still it was a good price and little work detailing is always fun.

Jamie

Not sure on this, but maybe the detailing pack from the D16 440 may be suitable.Brake rigging apart, the pack supplied with this loco may be compatable with the B12. Edited by Black 5 Bear

• 8 months later...

Thought I would share a photo of my LNER B12 Renumbered to 8559 - I was lucky enough to source photographs of the actual loco in LNER Apple Green and fortunatly matched the loco with the steam pipe added to the side of the smokebox.

Fantastic weathering - your overall grime really sets the scene. I like the puddles in the ballast/ash too, a nice touch.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic weathering - your overall grime really sets the scene. I like the puddles in the ballast/ash too, a nice touch.

Nick

Thank you

Although credit for the weathering has to go to Grimy Times - However the layout is a Club layout that I keep for the club as we have a lack of room.