Hornby B12

Wherry Lines

Nice monochrome of 61572 being lined out by Top shed's Frank Rayner, p86  of 'Top Shed' by Peter Townend pub. Ian Allan. (Below is the priceless picture of J15 65479 dwarfed by A3 60075 St Frusquin alongside at Top shed.) 

Colour, 61572 again, p19 of Eastern Steam in Colour' Hugh Ballantyne, pub Janes.

Page 81 in the second edition.

• RMweb Gold

The visible carrier suggests waterslide is possible. Apply some hand hot water as first attempt.

That failing, dry thoroughly and move on to methylated spirit (as 'Methfix' transfers).

Something I've found that work's is by the makers of Microset & Microsol - is Liquid Decal Mask ;)

• 8 months later...

There was some comment earlier on this thread about converting one of these new models to EM/P4. Has anyone had any experience of doing this successfully?

If not, does anyone know the distance between the inside faces of the splashers so we can assess whether wider gauged wheels might fit?

Thanks

Jeremy

• 1 year later...

Has anyone else had a problem with their B12/3 cutting out? I will run for a short while then stall. If I leave it with no power for a few seconds and it will move again when power applied, the longer you leave it the longer it runs for. It's not the controller (H&M Duette) as a second loco on the same circuit continues to move even when the B12 has stalled. I've checked the tender feed, by swapping it for the one on my D16, the D16 runs okay the B12 still stalls. Is there a thermal cutout on the loco? This problem started in the hot weather last week so I did wonder if heat releated, though the weather is cooler this week. Any suggestions gratefully received.      

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Steve51769

• 1 month later...
On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 21:08, Great Eastern Lady said:

Only got my B12 a couple of weeks ago and had it running up and down a bit , looks really good.

These not only look good, as in overall close fidelity to the prototype, but also are the best performing of any RTR OO 4-6-0 I have compared to.

The large proportion of cast metal in the body places ample weight on the coupled wheelbase, this combined with a very smooth running drive train means it will pull any realistic load. It leaves Hornby's  B1 and B17 which it will run alongside on my layout for dead. Hornby's Castle, 7P's, Black 5, N15; Bachmann's  B1 and BR std 5 likewise: for that matter models of eight coupled goods such as the Stanier 8F and Robinson O4, are outclassed. Hornby should only apply this construction to all their steam models so great is the advantage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone and nice to see the forum back.

My B12 has suffered a classic Hornby motor failuer and I am aware of a number of other people suffering the same thing.

The same issue I had with my S15.

I am currently running an informal poll on my channel to get an idea of how many have suffered the same or not.

Would you consider voting please?

https://www.youtube.com/c/ModelRailwaysUnlimited/community

There are number of videos on my channel looking at the issues I found and suggesting possible fixes based on my opinions and findings.

Always happy to hear more ideas.

I discovered that the motor bearings were super loose, so given the double flywheel maybe this was the cause of the failures?

Many thanks

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/04/2022 at 12:44, rorz101uk said:

Has any one been able to use a different motor in these locos? 

I swapped in the motor from the castle class (X6152). Be warned though it does require quite a lot of work and is at your own risk if you want to try this.

You will need a gear puller big enough to get over the flywheel on the original B12 motor. This motor is also only one sided so you will need to live with a reduction to one flywheel. The motor stalk is also on the wrong side so you will need to remove the motor cradle, spin it round 180 degrees and file away the plastic locating lug. Big job but so far it has absolutely transformed the model since it seems to be the only Hornby motor in this form factor that is reliable.

One final note. I made this swap a year ago and these motors looked to have been in stock for a while. Newer batches of these spares might have the same issues as current Hornby models since you would assume they have come from the same supplier.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

One of mine failed and I put an S15 motor into it as I couldn't find any replacement B12 motors available at the time.  Despite appearances on the Service Sheet diagram, the coupling from the flywheel to the drive shaft was different, so I had to get the flywheel off the 'business' end of the B12s motor.  I didn't have a gear puller so used a hammer and brute force, and then pressed it onto the new motor.  Apart from that it fitted OK and runs well now.  Will bear in mind the Castle motor suggestion though, if I need to do it again.