Heljan - OO - B-tank wagon

Gerald Henriksen

• RMweb Gold

Comments on the model rather than the livery?

The gaps in the plating over the frame inboard of the buffers, see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/126672348@N06/15222230221/in/photostream/, don't seem to be evident?

I did wonder....

Phil

Comments on the model rather than the livery?

The gaps in the plating over the frame inboard of the buffers

Contrasted with the grooves between the tank plates. These surely aren't rivetted to a frame on the prototype, but welded together. So this is one case where the model ought if anything have raised lines to represent the weld bead.

The Nim.

• RMweb Gold

Post Beeching all oil traffic was moving towards block trains and these certainly featured in a such few traffic flows - Cardiff - Soho Pool in Brum to name but one.

You will always get a few in other traffic though - even if just travelling to/from maintenance or repair facilities.

If all else fails....Its your railway .... apply rule 1 !

Kind regards

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm intrigued as to why Heljan are selling four packs all with the same Esso number. Surely it would make more sense to have four different? The airfix version was the very first railway kit I'd built, ca 1975 complete with wobbly chassis, long since landfill. I'm looking to buy a few of these.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

I'm intrigued as to why Heljan are selling four packs all with the same Esso number. Surely it would make more sense to have four different? The airfix version was the very first railway kit I'd built, ca 1975 complete with wobbly chassis, long since landfill. I'm looking to buy a few of these.

Neil

Are the 4 packs by Heljan themselves or just from the likes of Hattons (who offer greater discounts on multiple purchase packs of the same item)?

From my point of view as a customer, I think Hatton‘s misses a trick by not selling packs of four with different numbers when these are available. From Hatton’s point of view, it’s probably quicker to pick four from the same box than pick four from different boxes, making the small discount, I mean “bargain”, viable.

I find it strange that a 50 year old, two bob, pre computerisation plastic kit is better than a modern offering. With the "in the pipeline" upgrade kit it really is a no brainer.

Mike.

And how many years has the upgrade kit been in the pipeline Mike? Are we up to ten yet?

From my point of view as a customer, I think Hatton‘s misses a trick by not selling packs of four with different numbers when these are available. From Hatton’s point of view, it’s probably quicker to pick four from the same box than pick four from different boxes, making the small discount, I mean “bargain”, viable.

The 'packs of four' are simply the intermediate packs within the outer carton, so that all Hattons have to do is to open the outer carton. I've bought a couple of these offers, and the packaging on them was as it left the factory.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting

I had assumed the multipacks were Heljan's - they do have history with dogfish multipacks - but they don't appear on the Heljan web site , nor on other vendor's sites either

So that probably increases probability they are a Hattons jobbie.

So dilemma - if I want unbranded Regent tanks which do I start with - the Regent or the departmental?

Regent requires removal of large company logo and renumbering .... departmentals just require renumbering. Got to be the latter I think although sounds perverse....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy - those look smashing!

Unless my eyes deceive me those Regent logos are on an oval plate as per the originals? Hopefully easy to remove for debranding...

Shiny wheels - but nothing a quick coat of wheel muck paint wont fix...

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear - just told SWMBO I wanted some for Xmas , she says its too big and ugly!

Better persuade her to stick to baking millionaires shortbread rather than judging models!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

she says its too big and ugly!

Your wife's a lovely lady but obviously very mean.

Better persuade her to stick to baking millionaires shortbread rather than judging models!

Aah; I may have a lead on the mystery cake which appeared in the photo box when I was away on manoeuvres.

Cake.jpg

Was that you Phil?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hee hee could be....

The fritillary napkin might be a give away! That's SWMBO's shortbread - surprised it was still there when you got back, I got ambushed elsewhere in the hall once it was realised I was carrying supplies.

Phil