Heljan - OO - B-tank wagon

Gerald Henriksen

Shame about the spring 'shoes' on the solebar? I can't work out why, but I'm not sure I can get all that worked up about these, so i guess I'll stick to good old airfix.

Just out of interest where was BR (D) on the regent registration plate?

Jon

Shame about the spring 'shoes' on the solebar? I can't work out why, but I'm not sure I can get all that worked up about these, so i guess I'll stick to good old airfix.

Just out of interest where was BR (D) on the regent registration plate?

Jon

Agree about the lack of auxiliary suspension -

this is similar to the model http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/texaco/e228af19b All were registered BRD.

Here is Chipman 120 http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/chipmanweedkiller/ef7ee923 which as the registration shows is ex Regent.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Looking through the 'Oxford Rail' press-release for new and forthcoming models, I notice there are the following:-

Class A tank BRT- Staveley Chemicals

Class A tank Esso- revised suspension

Class A tank Esso original suspension

Class B Tank Esso- original suspension

Class B tank Esso unbranded

Class B tank Regent- revised suspension.

Quoted RRP is £19.95

Apologies if someone's already noted these. How does the price compare?

Looking through the 'Oxford Rail' press-release for new and forthcoming models, I notice there are the following:-

Class A tank BRT- Staveley Chemicals

Class A tank Esso- revised suspension

Class A tank Esso original suspension

Class B Tank Esso- original suspension

Class B tank Esso unbranded

Class B tank Regent- revised suspension.

Quoted RRP is £19.95

Apologies if someone's already noted these. How does the price compare?

The Heljan discounted price is £20.50 and the Oxford's will probably be discounted by 15%, so about £17.00. Not much in it, so good for variety.

When did the revised suspension come in?

Phil

A (rather unscientific) trawl through Paul Bartlett's site shows wagons with plain suspension being built in the late 1950s; versions with the secondary suspension seem to start appearing from 1960/1 onwards. The question is whether these wagons were built with the auxiliary suspension, or if they were modified. However, if the latter were the case, I'd expect to see some late 1950s wagons rebuilt, and I've not found any evidence of this.

A (rather unscientific) trawl through Paul Bartlett's site shows wagons with plain suspension being built in the late 1950s; versions with the secondary suspension seem to start appearing from 1960/1 onwards. The question is whether these wagons were built with the auxiliary suspension, or if they were modified. However, if the latter were the case, I'd expect to see some late 1950s wagons rebuilt, and I've not found any evidence of this.

strange comment when there are new build photos on the site with date and auxiliary suspension, for example http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/texaco/e228af19b

Paul

The Heljan discounted price is £20.50 and the Oxford's will probably be discounted by 15%, so about £17.00. Not much in it, so good for variety.

Rails are asking £16.50 on a pre-order for the Oxfords. Difficult one to judge, the Heljan model has a few issues judging by the ModelRail article but will the Oxford one actually be better? Think I will stick with my kit built ones.

strange comment when there are new build photos on the site with date and auxiliary suspension, for example http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/texaco/e228af19b

Paul

Paul: the point was that I could not be certain that these wagons had been built new with the auxiliary suspension, as all the photos showed the wagons after many years in service. Had there been a works photo in the two sets of photos I looked at (the Esso and CEGB ones)  showing a newly-built wagon with the secondary suspension, then I would have mentioned it. 

Just received an e-mail from Hattons, advising that the A and B tanks I've pre-ordered are expected to be in stock on or around this Friday 27th Jan.

Correction, it's only the 'B' tanks due in at present. Rails showing the 'B's as in stock

'B' Tanks showing as in stock today, at Hattons. I'm standing buy for a raid on the cc. Will keep my Airfix/Dapol kit versions as I spent a lot of time getting the brake and ladder parts thinned down to look more like prototype and they run very well.

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Gold

'B' Tanks showing as in stock today, at Hattons. I'm standing buy for a raid on the cc. Will keep my Airfix/Dapol kit versions as I spent a lot of time getting the brake and ladder parts thinned down to look more like prototype and they run very well.

Came home tonight, my credit card was crying, so mine are on the way.

Hattons offer a 'bargain pack' of four wagons at a reduced price. However, the wagons in each pack are all numbered the same, so I have sent a suggestion that they could possibly mix the numbers a bit, particularly for the Esso versions, where they could offer packs of four different numbers. I'm sure that would appeal more to most modellers wanting these wagons. Anyway, we'll see if they take the suggestion on board.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud the bargain packs they offer as they do reduce the price of buying enough wagons for block trains. It's just that having different running numbers appeals even more, I think.

Hattons offer a 'bargain pack' of four wagons at a reduced price. However, the wagons in each pack are all numbered the same, so I have sent a suggestion that they could possibly mix the numbers a bit, particularly for the Esso versions, where they could offer packs of four different numbers. I'm sure that would appeal more to most modellers wanting these wagons. Anyway, we'll see if they take the suggestion on board.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud the bargain packs they offer as they do reduce the price of buying enough wagons for block trains. It's just that having different running numbers appeals even more, I think.

Having bought bargain packs in the past, they're simply un-opened 'outer' boxes as delivered from China; this is unlike the multiple wagon sets supplied by the manufacturers, which have detail differences in finish between vehicles. The reduced price reflects the saving in labour in not having to unpack the outers at the dealers, and the fact that the shop is moving the stock quicker.

A few photos of the Esso and Regent 'B' tanks I received today. The chassis detail is very good, with detailed brake hanger cross pieces. The buffers are sprung metal, which I hadn't expected for the price. To me, the black versions don't show the seam lines as exaggerated, which was a criticism in the review of the Heljan anniversary liveried model and compare well with the seams on the recent Bachmann anchor mounted tanks. The couplings are a firm fit into the coupling pockets, with no up and down play, which must be a first for Heljan, however they've used a cranked coupler, which puts the height too low against other stock, easily rectified with straight couplings. Overall I'm pleased with the models, and the variety of options available at first release.

post-13514-0-00758300-1485945818.jpg

post-13514-0-54995600-1485945818.jpg

post-13514-0-09727900-1485945819.jpg

post-13514-0-60106500-1485945819.jpg

post-13514-0-10210400-1485945820.jpg

post-13514-0-60690800-1485945820.jpg

• Like 1

Are those horizontal lines on the tank sides prototypical? I can't see any in Paul's photos.

Here's one I found from Paul's site, an ex Esso Class B tank, with the upper horizontal line just below part of the walkway. I would imagine they are weld lines. The other line at the centre of the side from end to end, is exaggerated by the flash, it's not really noticeable in normal light as there is no lip to it. It's probably a moulding residue as it goes from end to end on both tank sides.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/db999xxxtank/h785eb3a3#hb459e36

Edited by rembrow