Dapol Black Label Range

Ian Hargrave

It does look excellent. Not that I’m in the market for another Mallard. I wonder what the chances are of a future model of something without a streamlined shell to conceal all the gubbins.

The smoke looks particularly successful – certainly compared to others I’ve seen. However, I strained to see the condensate from the drain cocks. Surely there should be plenty and it should shoot forward. I remember standing on the platform some way in front of DoG on a cold day and the whole world disappearing in a fog.

It does look excellent. Not that I’m in the market for another Mallard. I wonder what the chances are of a future model of something without a streamlined shell to conceal all the gubbins.

The smoke looks particularly successful – certainly compared to others I’ve seen. However, I strained to see the condensate from the drain cocks. Surely there should be plenty and it should shoot forward. I remember standing on the platform some way in front of DoG on a cold day and the whole world disappearing in a fog.

If they sell well, they will doubtless do other classes. It is almost certain that these will be restricted to big engines though. At least for the first few years.

... I wonder what the chances are of a future model of something without a streamlined shell to conceal all the gubbins...

Depends on the volume and width required to accomodate those 'gubbins' I should think; the convenient lack of any underboiler quite an asset of the A4 in this regard. It'll definitely go inside Stanier's upturned bathtub of course. And the W1 in both its forms...

All a little premature, first see if the market gives the initial offering a big enough hurrah to indicate potential for range expansion.

• RMweb Premium

Well that's a funny looking A4.  The front of the casing doesn't look right at all to me.  Surely it should be flat across the front (so that the lines above and below the opening parts look straight), otherwise the hinged parts wouldn't work.  I also think the inward taper towards the bottom should be more pronounced.

I need a Mallard but do I need this one, it would be the flagship of my collection though so would be the one to buy.....just don't know if I can justify the price as it wouldn't get used much.

Fortunately There are plenty of other A4s to choose from. My personally, I will go for this level for particular favourites of mine (a merchant navy, a class 33..). But welcome the effort.

Well that's a funny looking A4.  The front of the casing doesn't look right at all to me.  Surely it should be flat across the front (so that the lines above and below the opening parts look straight), otherwise the hinged parts wouldn't work.  I also think the inward taper towards the bottom should be more pronounced.

Please do read up....Dapol have clearly stated that they used the older EP and the newer one has a modified casing. If you took the time to watch the video I'm sure you had time to see what's beside it. Always better to read first before jumping to a conclusion.

See here

http://Dapol.co.uk/image/data/a4_update_2%20(002).pdf

• RMweb Premium

Please do read up....Dapol have clearly stated that they used the older EP and the newer one has a modified casing. If you took the time to watch the video I'm sure you had time to see what's beside it. Always better to read first before jumping to a conclusion.

See here

http://Dapol.co.uk/image/data/a4_update_2%20(002).pdf

Thanks for the advice; I have read the whole of this thread and can't see any previous reference to the shape of the front of the casing in it, or to it being altered.  I did watch the video, and read the text that goes with it, in the hope that the pictures you posted earlier showed an early version and the video would show a more recent, improved, one.  The text with the video just refers to 'additional features and detail improvements' in the next version, which I didn't take to imply that the front end had been modified (I would have thought this was a more fundamental change than implied by 'detail improvements').  Hence I was disappointed to see the same shortcomings in the loco in the video.  I now see (from your link above) that they do appear to intend the front end to look better on the finished model.

• Like 1

Dapol had 2 Black Label locos on their stand today, with Mallard shunting back and forward on a demo bit of track. The smoke effect was rather good. I have enclosed photos in case that helps anyone.

Edwin C.

post-18616-0-86726900-1458408656_thumb.jpg

post-18616-0-24854400-1458408802_thumb.jpg

post-18616-0-19540500-1458408819_thumb.jpg

post-18616-0-44595100-1458408831_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Still do not rock my boat compared to the current Hornby version @ half or less in price.

Based on above photos paint shades and actual shape can differ in real life and they are not production versions.

Huge Vacumn return pipe  on Grey version . Sticking out to far from Boiler side

Garter Blue much to dark

Poor fit of cab to footplate (Grey version)

Fox emblem far to thick 

Fairing/valances area  above bogie looks stretched and too flat 

What look like Gold edges to cab windows bizarre idea totally wrong

Boiler washout plugs oversize and heavy looking.

Cab doors look like they have been made from Lollysticks !!

The models shown today are early samples which contain none of previously named improvements - the cab doors were mentioned :)

I managed to grab a couple of videos:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/m3ntsSCOTYpmS1LxoJlLkRwAkGGjnHrhM1ja3IYqKLc

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/OxYJeJ5SiK73sDWWfLiZ3RpRgrocVr4M5BjKdAnP4bc

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/dYgHMdB05eOMLpDCWluUaDur7TAEGqC4cetkc1sYL9m

The models shown today are early samples which contain none of previously named improvements - the cab doors were mentioned :)

I managed to grab a couple of videos:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/m3ntsSCOTYpmS1LxoJlLkRwAkGGjnHrhM1ja3IYqKLc

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/OxYJeJ5SiK73sDWWfLiZ3RpRgrocVr4M5BjKdAnP4bc

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/dYgHMdB05eOMLpDCWluUaDur7TAEGqC4cetkc1sYL9m

Dapol say on their site they are showing the "improved" version !! ??

The gap between Cartazzi truck and body is huge ( yes I know they are doing a fixed Caratzzi version as well) . A lot of light above the front Bogie as well, Smoke looks good.

Edited by micklner

Dapol say on their site they are showing the "improved" version !! ??

The gap between Cartazzi truck and body is huge ( yes I know they are doing a fixed Caratzzi version as well) . A lot of light above the front Bogie as well, Smoke looks good.

Agreed. Improve those areas. I can't take it as seriously re the cartazzi or bogie. Looks like a throw back to the 1980's

• RMweb Premium

Based on the various directions that the lamps are pointing in those pictures, doesn't look like the fixings are yet fit for purpose (and if they are relying on the wire to hold them in place, I doubt they will ever be fit for purpose!)

• RMweb Gold

The model of Mallard was looking a little "naturally weathered" today by the days end... a layer of oily grime was coming from the chimney along the top and down the body sides from the smoke oil being used all day. (I was told this was 6 hours constant use).. so on that basis this would seem like 1:1 scale natural self-weathering effect. :-).. I will add there was some residue on the shelf above it too.. smoke on this really does travel.

It was later given a clean up with an oily rag.

In the flesh it looks very good, the lamp wires look massively exaggerated on the pictures on this site, when compared to standing in front of the model... in the flesh it's very acceptable... and when running it you'll just not see them.

I understand the follow up samples were withheld and impounded by Customs & Excise, as when x-rayed they looked like torpedoes !.. at least thats the story I was fed... apparently 30 changes have been made since the samples shown today have been made, they are hoping they are released by C&E next week.

2.5kgs of weight !

The smoke effect coming from under the cladding is very subtle.. though I didn't see a "drowning outflow of the drain cocks".. it was more of simmering steam coming from the cylinders...

The loco "chuffs" smoke out in sync to the sound of the loco, through both parts of the double chimney in a very natural burst / solid "chuff" exhaust beat way.. this they have dead on... I would like to see how the smoke hangs on a cold day, at moderate speed.. this might be interesting.

If this goes down well they have several other models planned, including a diesel apparently.

Room for improvement... what about steam from the safety valves ? :0)

i'm still in the world of DC, and was told all effects still work, but just not in control of them (i.e. it  time shifts between injectors, coaling, whistle, brakes etc) whilst in motion depending on voltage, Smoke & lights work (lights only going forwards).

Ive got to be honest.. When I first saw it I thought this looks interesting, now I'm thinking I've no excuses not to buy one... especially after seeing the live steam societies oo gauge layout in the other hall... this one is a little closer to home when it comes to being RTR out of the box and DC/DCC compatible, which means if someones round my house.. I can flip the points and spring a big surprise on them that no other of my locos will do.

tbh when using this I can see hours of fun here... and then some time cleaning it after a long shift :-)

Edited by adb968008

If the 2.5 kgs of weight thing came from my video, I'm pretty sure he was saying that it could HAUL 2.5 kg of weight :)

The only downside for me is the Cartazzi trailing truck. It just doesn't look right to me

• RMweb Premium

The only downside for me is the Cartazzi trailing truck. It just doesn't look right to me

I think there are still a few downsides, all of which have been noted above.

Please don't get me wrong, I want to see this venture succeed but it needs to look 'right' in a way that the Hornby Super Detail version does so that

a) it doesn't look out of place against my other A4s (as I won't be replacing any of them!);

b) it will combine the looks with the features which sound excellent.

Then I have no excuse not to buy one, and it would no doubt be the pride of my fleet.

• 1 month later...