Farish Class 37 or Class 47

35 Ark Royal

Hi i am looking at either a Class 37 or Class 47 to run on my layout Westside.They will either be hauling parcels or freight trains.The 2 locos i am thinking of are 37239 in Railfreight Coal Sector Livery or 47535 University of Leicester in L Logo blue.As i am an EE fan i supouse it should be the 37 but there again can you realy have a layout with no 47? So as i can't afford both which is the better model the tractor or the duff?

many thanks

Both pretty good models TBH, I'd be happy with either. The traffic you want to run them on does rather lean towards the duff though, being able to haul both freight and parcels, whereas the coal sector tractor would be good for coal, or maybe an occaisonal use on hire to another sector, but really it's coal only for that. It also depends on the era you're modelling

cheers

jo

Yeah both would be good for that era- for a suitable 37 it might be worth keeping an eye on the new Farish announcements in a couple of weeks time. Although delivery will be a way off, if they announce refurb 37s (as per the 4mm range) then a large logo 37/4 would cover your needs rather nicely

cheers

jo

• RMweb Gold

Around the time you are modelling, I used to go spotting to Crewe on a Saturday quite often, and there used to be a late afternoon departure of a parcels train (can't remember where it was going), but it was nearly always a coal sector 37 at the front.

However,the 47 is, as Jo said, the more likely candidate.

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to add 1988-1993 is the Era i run.I don't run any coal traffic but thought maybe theese loco's go of sector but it seems i am wrong. So it looks like the Duff will be the better loco to have.

Go for which ever it your favourite! They're both very good models.

For what it's worth class 47 University of Leicester was allocated to the Parcels sector at Bristol Bath Road whilst 37239 was a Cardiff machine allocated to Distribution (Speedlink)/Coal. (Source 1989 Ian Allan Combined Volume).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived