Farish GWR Castle Class

TomE

• RMweb Gold

3D printed sample seen on display at Warley today. Looked good, even at this early stage. Sorry about the crap photo, hopefully someone has a better one they can add. 

post-1467-0-58265000-1448740802_thumb.jpg

Tom. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Will Bachmann/Farish be producing the Next 18 decoder or will the locos come with the decoder already fitted? I first discovered this on a Liliput (Bachmann) DB 5-car Flirt and had to buy a LokPilot one from Germany just for that. I wouldn't say it is any smaller than the existing Gaugemaster 6-pin decoder (without the pins of course), it just has more functionality and a higher price tag to match.

By the way the Liliput 5-car Flirt is an great model I couldn't resist at 165 Euros.

Looks like a new standard if they are adding it to the new Class 40 when it comes out too, Do Sountraxx do a compatible decoder we might see rebadged; I seem to remember they make Bachmann's 6 pin chips?

Those EPs look more sophisticated than the 3D printed ones shown at Warley.  Hopefully that means development is progressing quickly and the Castle will be in the shops (relatively) soon.  I can see myself buying both BR versions and maybe the GW one too, if funds permit.  I'm not fussed about whizzy new DCC chips but it sounds like good news for people who want more functions.

It all sounds interesting indeed, but it's not clear what they exactly mean regarding the new DCC functionality - is this going to come DCC fitted as standard, or with a new style DCC socket, or what?

I guess few folks know yet, but hopefully it'll become clear. Interesting times!

Cheers,
Alan

The six pin chip is very limited in its functionality (two pins for DCC signal pick-up, two for powering the motor and two for providing directional lighting). There are no means of controlling other functions such as internal lighting or powering an internal speaker. With 18 pins the Next18 interface allows for many more.

In OO we have already seen this with the 8 pin vs 21 pin decoders. While 8 pin suffices for the vast majority of users (2 pick-ups, 2 motor, common positive, forward lights, reverse lights and a spare), the 21 pin interface allows for up to 13 further functions assuming the chip is suitably equipped. Examples of such functions would be independent control of head and tail lights of a locomotive so the red lights could be switched off when the loco was hauling stock.

In reality no-one has yet come up with a kiler application for the extra capabilities the 21 pin interface allows, particularly when we consider that steam locos only really need motor control. Flickering fireboxes are still a gimmick in commercial terms although could become a standard function in time.

Going back to N gauge, the 6-pin interface is now outdated. It was a practical solution to the problem of available space inside the loco but the latest connectors take up less space and offer many more pins. We already have a need for more than six pins in diesel locos so it is time to move on. I only hope the chips are available when the locos that need them arrive! 

• RMweb Gold

It all sounds interesting indeed, but it's not clear what they exactly mean regarding the new DCC functionality - is this going to come DCC fitted as standard, or with a new style DCC socket, or what?

I guess few folks know yet, but hopefully it'll become clear. Interesting times!

Cheers,

Alan

Although that press release is about as clear as mud, my interpretation is that we are simply going to see a move away from the old 6 pin socket, to the next18 type of socket in future models. We aren't going to get DCC fitted, sound fitted or, for steam locomotives, lighting as standard. Not yet anyway. 

Luckily for those who like to use other manufactures decoders, some already produce small chips with the new connector, the ZIMO MX618N18 being one example. I just hope this is made much clearer around the time these models are released, otherwise there could be a lot of confused looks on peoples faces when they pop off the tender to install their 6 pin decoder!

Tom. 

I just hope this is made much clearer around the time these models are released, otherwise there could be a lot of confused looks on peoples faces when they pop off the tender to install their 6 pin decoder!

Tom. 

In all honesty, no matter how clear the manufacturer makes it, there will be some of this for sure. It's always the way when there's any standard change.

Castle itself should offer some interesting possibilities for conversion - into the earlier Star class for example.

Cheers,

Alan

I don't think so, there are definite detail differences, such as the steam pipes to the outside cylinders and the cover over the inside valve chests which were modified in BR days ( of the two I helped rebuild at Didcot, Drysllwyn Castles front cover was restored back to its original curved shape, whilst Nunney Castles was left in its BR guise) never mind the early Castles which had joggled frames at the front end, although I doubt that Farish have gone this far - I would love to see them in detail, as even the pictures on the Farish website are not close up enough to be clear.

either way my wallet will take a hammering when they are released.

Regards,

Alex

Edited by Hailstone

I don't think so, there are definite detail differences, such as the steam pipes to the outside cylinders and the cover over the inside valve chests which were modified in BR days ( of the two I helped rebuild at Didcot, Drysllwyn Castles front cover was restored back to its original curved shape, whilst Nunney Castles was left in its BR guise) never mind the early Castles which had joggled frames at the front end, although I doubt that Farish have gone this far - I would love to see them in detail, as even the pictures on the Farish website are not close up enough to be clear.

either way my wallet will take a hammering when they are released.

Regards,

Alex

You could be right. Hopefully they don't have the same team working on this as they did on the 4mm Modified Halls.

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

These must have been hidden away in the members only section! Looks good, certainly light years away from the old model!

I've taken the plunge and ordered a Nunney Castle with Sound out of curiosity.

Looks like I need to eat my own words regarding Farish releasing dcc & sound fitted as standard!

Tom.

I hate to say it, but something looks a bit off with the top of the firebox, from the angle photographed it looks to stand very proud of the top of the boiler. I know the real things have a bit of a step up, but the firebox of the model looks much higher than it needs to be; or the boiler pitched too low. Saying that, it doesn't seem to have much of a taper to the boiler, so perhaps the firebox is fine and it is instead the boiler being undersized that is causing me to think this. It may well be an illusion from the lining not sitting flat...I hope its an illusion.

I hate to say it, but something looks a bit off with the top of the firebox, from the angle photographed it looks to stand very proud of the top of the boiler. I know the real things have a bit of a step up, but the firebox of the model looks much higher than it needs to be; or the boiler pitched too low. Saying that, it doesn't seem to have much of a taper to the boiler, so perhaps the firebox is fine and it is instead the boiler being undersized that is causing me to think this. It may well be an illusion from the lining not sitting flat...I hope its an illusion.

Yes, I agree either the front of the firebox is too high or the boiler taper is wrong, there is only about 4 inches difference between the top of the boiler and the top of the firebox - I hope it is an illusion, if not, I may be hanging on to my originals for a while yet! 

Regards,

Alex

Yes, I agree either the front of the firebox is too high or the boiler taper is wrong, there is only about 4 inches difference between the top of the boiler and the top of the firebox - I hope it is an illusion, if not, I may be hanging on to my originals for a while yet! 

Regards,

Alex

If you look at the EP in post 1, the boiler looks more correct there than it does in the painted examples. Is this just an illusion, or have they imported a CAD error since then?

Chris

I suspect a combination of the camera angle and the hand painted finish, especially the inaccurate firebox lining, are giving a false impression.

Fundamentally I think you're right Tom, I've had a chat to Bachmann and we also looked at Phil Parker's image that he published on MREmag.com yesterday which shows the loco in grey, from the same mould which doesn't have anywhere near as pronounced step.

Castle.jpg

Farish_Castle_GW_s.jpg

• Like 3

Could it be that the boiler diameter measurement has been produced over the ring rather than the cladding? The rings are a bit more proud than they would be in reality (presumably to aid livery application) and in an area where the step would measure 0.67mm (scale 4" of the prototype) then any discrepancy in the boiler diameter is going to be quite noticeable at an interface where you are looking for such a small measurement. Another thing I have noticed is how bulbous the top front corners of the firebox are on Castles. Could it be a case that the top front edge of the firebox isn't quite radiused enough, which would lead it to stand too proud from the angle photographed? From the lower level images of the unpainted EP, it looks pretty much spot on. Looking at the shading from the lighting on the unpainted EP, the front vertical edge of the firebox does to my eye look a little angular, maybe that is the cause?

Its still not going to stop me from sticking in a pre-order. Rumour has it that on more than one occasion class members have made their way to Bournville for servicing following football excursions, according to some exhibition goers that remembered the real shed (Southern light pacifics too). I'm not exactly a GWR fan but I do like the castles, and have the need for one, but now I've seen something that to my eye doesn't look quite right, I can't un-see it.