Farish GWR Castle Class

TomE

The only problem with doing this is that it will lead to more dirt accumulation.

Exactly ........ but  note  that   this  was  carried  out  on  outdoor lines  where  track  cleaning  is  more  frequent  than  indoor  ones 

As  a  matter  of  interest   this  was  years  ago  on  the  00 garden  line  where  there  was   an  approx.  1in 40  gradient   up to   the  shed storage/terminus  /return loop  a  Heavy  Wrenn ( metal  bodied)  8f  would  manage  around  20 to 25   4  wheeled wagons  up  this  incline,  but  after  slightly  roughening  the  track  it  would haul 30  to 35 up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I really don't want to put people off this loco so this video shows what she will do. Albeit with 11 grams of added lead.

https://youtu.be/crNPaKoAmKQ

Hi Chris,

Out of interest what radius are the hidden curves as this will also have an impact on haulage. To be fair, you are asking the loco to perform on an extreme example in terms of gradients - nominal 1 in 39 with, by your own admission a less than level floor and less than perfect carpentry.

I can only report as I found which was that on a level road, or gentle gradient (1 in 75 on the home layout), the Castles haulage, whilst not prodigious, was comfortably capable of pulling a scale length train.

For years we had to put up with lumpen locos in N which, whilst they may have had great haulage, bore only a passing resemblance to the prototype. We now have beautiful scale models. Dapol locos tend to have better haulage because, sensibly, the motor is in the tender driving the loco via a shaft which allows much more weight over the drivers and a better distribution of that weight - a system which is pretty much standard in 2FS. The problem with this is that many N gauge modellers don't like it, consequently there was a clamour for loco drive. Farish tried tender drive with rubber bands on the wheels which came with its own problems - mainly associated with a tendency for the freewheeling loco to skid along. They therefore returned to loco drive and their latest releases with the Coreless motor and split axle pickup are, in my opinion, superb giving smooth, quiet running. They are not as powerful as some of the older locos but on a layout that doesn't have very steep gradients or tight curves it is perfectly adequate.

I do feel that sometimes N gauge modellers want to have their cake and eat it. They want models that are much closer to scale but are not prepared to leave behind the steep gradients and ridiculously tight curves - they are then surprised when the model won't do what they want.

Jerry

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Lovely layout by the way Chris. I came to the conclusion that gradients and curves don't mix after haulage problems with steam locos on a previous layout. Just a thought, have you thought of trying that Powerbase system? Is it suitable for N? 

Hi Chris,

Out of interest what radius are the hidden curves as this will also have an impact on haulage. To be fair, you are asking the loco to perform on an extreme example in terms of gradients - nominal 1 in 39 with, by your own admission a less than level floor and less than perfect carpentry.

I can only report as I found which was that on a level road, or gentle gradient (1 in 75 on the home layout), the Castles haulage, whilst not prodigious, was comfortably capable of pulling a scale length train.

For years we had to put up with lumpen locos in N which, whilst they may have had great haulage, bore only a passing resemblance to the prototype. We now have beautiful scale models. Dapol locos tend to have better haulage because, sensibly, the motor is in the tender driving the loco via a shaft which allows much more weight over the drivers and a better distribution of that weight - a system which is pretty much standard in 2FS. The problem with this is that many N gauge modellers don't like it, consequently there was a clamour for loco drive. Farish tried tender drive with rubber bands on the wheels which came with its own problems - mainly associated with a tendency for the freewheeling loco to skid along. They therefore returned to loco drive and their latest releases with the Coreless motor and split axle pickup are, in my opinion, superb giving smooth, quiet running. They are not as powerful as some of the older locos but on a layout that doesn't have very steep gradients or tight curves it is perfectly adequate.

I do feel that sometimes N gauge modellers want to have their cake and eat it. They want models that are much closer to scale but are not prepared to leave behind the steep gradients and ridiculously tight curves - they are then surprised when the model won't do what they want.

Jerry

The 1 in 39 is a measure of the slope as it is in place in the shed. I wasn't interested in N gauge when the models were poor. My first loco was an Ixion Manor and this pulls well while being a nicely detailed model, same applies to the Grange and the 28xx. The downside is that the traction tyres do go from time to time, but I accept that as part of maintenance. If the first N gauge loco I bought had been as poor at pulling as my Dapol 9F or my Castle then I would have not bothered to buy any more.

It may be that my Castle has a fault so I will get it checked out.

And just for the record, my Farish diesels are excellent.

Edited by Chris M

The 1 in 39 is a measure of the slope as it is in place in the shed. I wasn't interested in N gauge when the models were poor. My first loco was an Ixion Manor and this pulls well while being a nicely detailed model, same applies to the Grange and the 28xx. The downside is that the traction tyres do go from time to time, but I accept that as part of maintenance. If the first N gauge loco I bought had been as poor at pulling as my Dapol 9F or my Castle then I would have not bothered to buy any more.

It may be that my Castle has a fault so I will get it checked out.

And just for the record, my Farish diesels are excellent.

I would certainly try another out. As for the Ixion Manor, that didn't have traction tyres although the Dapol one now does. It was a pretty good puller without tbh.

Aller Junction should be near enough level too. ;)

You haven't really reached the banks by then. Given that one route through Aller goes straight on to Paignton and Kinsgwear.

Starts to climb pretty much as soon as you turn right for Plymouth though.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I've just had a quick play with my Castle. Prior to this afternoon It had, had about 2 hours running in at the weekend.

Notes - 

I only had my very small test track to play with. 

The curves at each end are no sharper than 11 inches radius. 

I used 8 Dapol Collett coaches. - Any more than this put the train covering more than 1/2 the layout. 

On the level there was no problem. 

On an approximately 1 in 40 gradient there was no problem. The loco would restart the train on this gradient.

On an approximately 1 in 30 gradient there was some visible slowing. The loco would restart the train on this gradient. 

I then went all out for a 1 in 20 gradient. It struggled, a lot, even with a run up. Not a hope of restarting on this gradient. 

• RMweb Gold

I've just had a quick play with my Castle. Prior to this afternoon It had, had about 2 hours running in at the weekend.

Notes - 

I only had my very small test track to play with. 

The curves at each end are no sharper than 11 inches radius. 

I used 8 Dapol Collett coaches. - Any more than this put the train covering more than 1/2 the layout. 

On the level there was no problem. 

On an approximately 1 in 40 gradient there was no problem. The loco would restart the train on this gradient.

On an approximately 1 in 30 gradient there was some visible slowing. The loco would restart the train on this gradient. 

I then went all out for a 1 in 20 gradient. It struggled, a lot, even with a run up. Not a hope of restarting on this gradient. 

So in summary, perfectly acceptable for the vast majority of N Gauge modeller's layouts. 

Tom. 

For those of you following my comments prepare to be surprised.

I ran my loco on level track tonight and was impressed! Pulled 11 mk1s fine even through what I measured to be a 180 degree 9.5" radius bend.

So nothing wrong with my loco but I'll have to live with it not being the greatest climber.

Apologies for the inappropriate scenery.

• Like 4

I have now had the body off my Castle and there is a weight in the smokebox, albeit probably Mazak. I tried to get it out, but despite undoing it's retaining screw it didn't want to come out. not wishing to use brute force at this stage, I hit on the idea of placing a strip of 1.2 mm lead on the keeper plate, this seems to enable my Castle to maintain a 12 coach train on the level an even on a slight gradient around a 14" radius curve. as I only run 12coach trains on the Club layout which is level, I think I will settle for that.

Regards,

Alex 

• Like 1

Tiverton Castle earning its keep on Totnes a couple of weeks ago at Trainwest. As I said she never skipped a beat all weekend.

attachicon.gifIMG_6411.JPG

Jerry

Looking very tasty. Although IMHO in need of some etched slidebars with a bit of layering.

Can anyone else see the advert from Rails for these at 101.96 in a bar below this  posting? Very disappointing to click it to find them then at 118.96. Ah well, Hattons it will have to be.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Looking very tasty. Although IMHO in need of some etched slidebars with a bit of layering.

Can anyone else see the advert from Rails for these at 101.96 in a bar below this  posting? Very disappointing to click it to find them then at 118.96. Ah well, Hattons it will have to be.

Chris

http://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/N-Gauge-Western-Region-Steam-Locos.html 

Same price as Hattons, but no postage costs and better service. 

• RMweb Gold

Chris

Hi Chris,

If you do a set of etched slide bars you could usefully add a set of coupling/con rods to th etch for those that wish to convert to 2FS.

Can anyone recommend where to get custom replacement name/number plates. I've tried all the usual sources of plates and nobody has 'Clifford Castle'

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

I have used Guilplates a few years back for bespoke plates, for my locos , no website but I recall very easy to deal with on phone.

They did a complete set of Dartmouth castle; which was not available from usual sources, excellent quality ,cannot recall the charge though.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40231-Guilplates

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone recommend where to get custom replacement name/number plates. I've tried all the usual sources of plates and nobody has 'Clifford Castle'

Hi Jerry,

You could try asking Fox Transfers. It might well take longer than Guilplates, but certainly a few months back they were amenable to requests for 2mm/N Gauge versions of plates from their 4mm range. I know as I asked for a few Jubilees to be added. 5098 is in their 4mm range. I presume you want it because of how frequently it appeared on Somerset branch line work ;-)

Best wishes

Simon

Edited by 65179

Hi Chris,

If you do a set of etched slide bars you could usefully add a set of coupling/con rods to th etch for those that wish to convert to 2FS.

Jerry

I already have the rods as they are common with other classes. Both the earlier coupling rods with the knuckle in front of the middle driver (shared with Stars,Saints and early Halls) and the later ones where it is behind (shared with later Halls, Granges, etc).

EDIT: well I do need to check if Bachmann used protoypical wheelbases with smaller than scale wheels (as they did on the Duchess) or adjusted the wheelbase and kept the wheel sizes (as Dapol tend to do).

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

I hate to state the obvious, but why hasn't anyone tried bullfrog snot to improve haulage on gradients? or does no one on this side of the Atlantic know what bullfrog snot is? :stinker: I know I'll be using it on mine when it finally arrives!

• RMweb Premium

I hate to state the obvious, but why hasn't anyone tried bullfrog snot to improve haulage on gradients? or does no one on this side of the Atlantic know what bullfrog snot is? :stinker: I know I'll be using it on mine when it finally arrives!

I would suggest trying yours on your own gradients before leaping to the bullfrog snot, you might find you don't need it. 

Because this stuff is horrendous!

Cheers,

Alan