Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

Bachmann (& other US manufacturers) produce industrial switchers/shunters in plain colours and they sell.

steve

The market for American HO is vastly bigger than anything in British modelling.

The no numbers and plain livery thing has been tried before I believe. Heljan tried it with their 47 (and you don't get much more ubiquitous than that) and the sales were terrible. Most people picking up a RTR model want just that, a RTR model. People are gor the most part put off by things like applying your own decals for fear of ruining a model which is worth a hefty chunk of money. The models are also no cheaper because the decal stage represents a minuscule portion of the manufacturing cost.

Those people who want to repaint will repaint regardless of what the model actually is, and those who don't want to repaint are generally happy with what manufacturers give them. Those who are left don't have enough buying power to make it worthwhile for the manufacturers to make 'blank' engines

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If you want one now build a Judith Edge kit. That way you can get the flanges you want, plan where to put a DCC chip/ sound/ speakers and get the livery you want.

The market for American HO is vastly bigger than anything in British modelling.

The no numbers and plain livery thing has been tried before I believe. Heljan tried it with their 47 (and you don't get much more ubiquitous than that) and the sales were terrible. Most people picking up a RTR model want just that, a RTR model. People are gor the most part put off by things like applying your own decals for fear of ruining a model which is worth a hefty chunk of money. The models are also no cheaper because the decal stage represents a minuscule portion of the manufacturing cost.

Those people who want to repaint will repaint regardless of what the model actually is, and those who don't want to repaint are generally happy with what manufacturers give them. Those who are left don't have enough buying power to make it worthwhile for the manufacturers to make 'blank' engines

The US market also appears to cater for more freelance or shortline modelling - and frankly, I'd guess industrials are likely to be used in a more freelance way than other UK models so I don't believe there would be that much difference in sales between a specific company livery (appearing on a layout as on loan or recently-bought) or the *prototype manufacturer's* standard paint jobs, rather than a random plain livery. "Anonymous" industrials weren't unknown after all.

If there is some resistance to unnumbered industrials, I'd personally appreciate the chance to have something with very little to change to get back to the vanilla option (e.g. the Hornby Tarmac Sentinel).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's a worthwhile question: is there a manufacturer's standard ex-factory 'livery' / paint job which at least some locos carried when performing as a demonstator or on lease, loan or trial with a customer? If the answer is no, then definitely best supplied carrying actual user liveries.

Whatever livery was carried by the one trialled by BR would do nicely for me.

John

• RMweb Gold

Did BR trial one of these? I always thought they only had "Taurus", an 0-8-0?

Stewart

I've been told they did, some time in the mid-fifties, but I've not found anything definite off my own bat as to where. Anybody else know?

If any of the announced ones are in a typical, as delivered, livery just omitting to pass a batch through the printer after painting would suit.

John

That's fair comment but I admit that I have a soft spot for the Adams Radial Tank. Once the fouling of the buffer beam by the NEM pocket has been sorted, it's a very sweet runner which goes a long way in my opinion. Many of the shortcomings of the Adams should not re-appear in a diesel shunter, for example I'd expect the motor to be fully concealed and the wheels to have a consistent appearance.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that interesting shot; it's coming on well. I can't be certain but it seems that the motor will occupy the bottom of the cab. Even so, it looks as if there will be space under the other bonnet for a speaker - I hope someone thinks of that.

Oxford Diecast and Oxford Rail are essentially the same outfit.

• Like 1

Some observations(unless there is a separate footplate tooling):

It looks like we won't be getting an oval-buffered version - as the United Steel Companies pattern buffer doesn't have a flat base, and only 4 bolt holes. 

It also appears that they have chosen to model the less-widespread variant with the cut-away in the buffer beams. :(

Paul A. 

It looks like we won't be getting an oval-buffered version - as the United Steel Companies pattern buffer doesn't have a flat base, and only 4 bolt holes. 

It also appears that they have chosen to model the less-widespread variant with the cut-away in the buffer beams. :(

Paul A. 

Or could it be them just showing one prototype now as it is ready? Or maybe do variations later?

• Like 1

Or could it be them just showing one prototype now as it is ready? Or maybe do variations later?

True, and I did comment on the possibility of a different footplate tooling. 

My thoughts are that it  if this was the plan though, then such a large tooling would include scope to change such details as the buffers and beam configurations with ease, and this is clearly not the case. 

Paul A. 

• RMweb Premium

Did BR trial one of these? I always thought they only had "Taurus", an 0-8-0?

Stewart

Much more interesting than Janus.........

post-408-0-87058200-1453832224_thumb.jpg

And here's my Janus so far.....

post-408-0-83714500-1453832221_thumb.jpg

Both Judith Edge kits.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Paul A. 

Do you mean the cut-away at the top on each side of the buffer beam? Just been through my 100+ Janus pics, and it seems only the Shelton locos had this type of buffer beam. I suppose it would be Ok for the British Steel version, but not for the Port of London, NCB or BP versions.

• RMweb Premium

That's the problem with industrial locos. There are far more variations than will be easy to produce as a model. Not only manufacturer variations, but user modifications over time.

Time to do some modelling maybe?

Cheers,

Mick