Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

....... My collection of photos of the prototype suggest the knuckle joint in the coupling rods is at the same end as the air filters on the bonnet top, which are only at one end of the loco.

Paul,

Thanks for pointing this out. I've put my chassis back in the correct way round. The MX648 decoder is small enough to avoid the indent for the air filters anyway.

Here's a photo supporting your suggestion.

post-9747-0-88582000-1500324412_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, I've seen that quoted in several places (but not on the leaflet included wit the model), but what anyone using this model on DCC or modulated DC needs to know is whether it is coreless or not.

Why not take Andy's word for it ? It's a 5 pole conventional can motor with flywheel. Oxford have no form with coreless motors....why on earth should they be obliged to state it ? If in doubt you could always contact them stating your concerns. A direct question often works.

Thank you for your advice.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stovepipe,

Thanks for the information and photos - much appreciated.

As I said in my previous post, I need to backdate one to it's proper NCB condition.

Does the book refer to have a list showing the allocations for the locos?

If so - it would be a great help if you can let us know?

Thanks

Hi SM,

the original NCB Janus were

YE 2708 NCB Northern Area - Ashington, March 1959

2712 NCB June 1958

2713 NCB June 1958

2717 NCB July 1958

2748 NCB North West Area 2 - Littleton, September 1959

2749 NCB North West Area 2 - Littleton, September 1959

2748 is the preserved example the model is based on. There is no further information in the book on the original location of the others, but Parkside and Walkden were visited at some point I believe. There is one NCB photo in the book, of 2749 numbered no.7, in as delivered condition looking very similar to the last photo above. It was delivered with full yellow buffer beams, without the triangle pattern seen later. The loco as delivered also had an oval builders plate on the forward side of the low blue box,

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/5/55/Im120607Ig-York.jpg

a headlight dead centre on the upper front handrail, and the Yorkshire horse logo below the 'Yorkshire' plate.

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewLot.aspx?LotId=464554&Section=1228

In the last photo above there is oval plate below the number - I think this is a BTC Registration plate needed for operations at Littleton.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Avonside_Engine_Co_1421_%27Pontyberem%27_%281900%29_BTC_registration_plate%2C_GWS_Didcot_%2C_January_2008_P1050048_%289940096756%29.jpg

The model also seems to omit the rectangular plate on the solebar, like this one, but with BTH details for early locos, rather than AEI as shown here.

https://flic.kr/p/pgFxvx

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 1

I took this sometime in early 1970 on the former Manchester Collieries system radiating out from Walkden yard. The loco was heading south, just about to enter the site of the then still standing but closed Moseley Common colliery. We were surprised to see it, the system was otherwise entirely steam worked.

post-6861-0-78347700-1500325881_thumb.jpg

The system was in it's last days and I made a note on the print that the loco normally worked at Ashton's Field, at the north end of the system. I don't now recall if that was true, nor do I recall seeing it there. In fact, this was the only time I ever saw it and seem now to have a vague recollection of it being on a running in turn from Walkden Central Workshops. Walkden maintained locos from all over the north west at the time. I've never seen another reference, nor photo, of a Janus working on the ex Manchester Collieries system. It's presence remains, to me at least, a bit of a mystery.

It was in a plain, slightly washed out, apple green livery.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I took this sometime in early 1970 on the former Manchester Collieries system radiating out from Walkden yard. The loco was heading south, just about to enter the site of the then still standing but closed Moseley Common colliery. We were surprised to see it, the system was otherwise entirely steam worked.

attachicon.gifIMG_0468.JPG

The system was in it's last days and I made a note on the print that the loco normally worked at Ashton's Field, at the north end of the system. I don't now recall if that was true, nor do I recall seeing it there. In fact, this was the only time I ever saw it and seem now to have a vague recollection of it being on a running in turn from Walkden Central Workshops. Walkden maintained locos from all over the north west at the time. I've never seen another reference, nor photo, of a Janus working on the ex Manchester Collieries system. It's presence remains, to me at least, a bit of a mystery.

It was in a plain, slightly washed out, apple green livery.

That's interesting, missed that photo previously. Parkside gained 3 Janus from the early 1970s-on, two from Walkden (2712 and 2717) and one from Bold (2749). All went for scrap in 1986.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting stuff.

I have been back through the thread and Golden valleys webpage this morning and can't find any mention of dual flywheels. So perhaps it was only supposed to have one.

It also appears from other people's pictures my motor is fitted the wrong way round.

Should I change it back the other way ? Or I'm thinking just swap the wires over and add an extra flywheel to the currently unused end.

Even so for the money I am very pleased with it.

Hmm! Mine has a flywheel... On the opposite end to the one shown above

Just opened my Janus up and it is as you say a flywheel between the motor and gearbox but not on the open end of the motor. Will it make a difference. I haven't run it at all yet. Some serious quality control issues here I would say, if we are finding these differences.

• RMweb Premium

Just opened my Janus up and it is as you say a flywheel between the motor and gearbox but not on the open end of the motor. Will it make a difference. I haven't run it at all yet. Some serious quality control issues here I would say, if we are finding these differences.

You will probably find it runs the wrong way, but apart from that it should be fine.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the information and links to photos of the NCB Janus engines - much appreciated.

Just spoken to the owner of the one I have to backdate and agreed what is to be done.

Now, If I wanted a 'Scottish' Janus there appears to be only one option!

Janus at Corpach Paper Mill

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/6722595397/in/photolist-SiaS8A-SvTu75-tVsmFN-iAVM8z-SFLjkX-6ch9ua-pbPJMv-aGxLs6-SqvsNJ-WaH31A-9TFg9J-bguBV8-9TFg4N-dL7uYn-aLvFTc-Sp1Q7y-9TCqA6-aLvFTt-9T2o6H-c1axq1-RUyJqX-b51pxz-bJ2z2e-RGjT75-aHYKbn-bA1y5G-bf44pc-bYHvtU-aHYzQD-aiwpCr-bNEGAM-c1hR8u-c1hTGy-6ch8Zg-9WRCzz-b5yuGF-P32mbz-c1aw13-aE9b2u-aJQegH-aNRZPp-9T5dsU-bguBEX-AfeXMr-dx7fnA-b8BnCM-a2pvA9-aijgpM-a2mBG8-a2XstB/

Not found anotehr Scottish one - yet!

Thanks

Now, If I wanted a 'Scottish' Janus there appears to be only one option!

Janus at Corpach Paper Mill

If it bothers you, you'll have to be careful with that one. As with all ICI Janus Locos the buffer beams & valances are cropped from the aprrox. wheel centreline at a more severe angle.

This pic probably illustrates the difference better.

https://flic.kr/p/bNEGAM

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

It's a shame that this this difference is not able to be accommodated in the GVH tooling - I would have liked an ICI Billingham example in particular. ICI took 12% of the Janus production run, and each loco was given a name from a local dale.

I've had two delivered over the past couple of days and only today found time to have a look at them.

Both long standing orders, one came from Hattons, the other Kernow.

They both ran in the 'right' direction and both ran smoothly, with a reasonable low speed, straight from the box. I'll see what improvement a bit of time on the rolling road brings.

They both had the same internal arrangement with the flywheel at one end of the motor and a small brass universal coupling at the other.

So far, so good, I'm very happy with them.

One is now in bits, a man hunt is underway for an escaped windscreen wiper...

More to follow.

• Like 2

Mine matches LochLongs picture with the central flywheel, motor in back to front and goes backwards to convention, which is a simple fix. I'll simply reverse the motor wires on the PCB.

Looking at a different route to EM'ing it though!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If it bothers you, you'll have to be careful with that one. As with all ICI Janus Locos the buffer beams & valances are cropped from the aprrox. wheel centreline at a more severe angle.

This pic probably illustrates the difference better.

https://flic.kr/p/bNEGAM

P

Hi Porcy,

I did say 'If'......

Looking at the photos and then at the model, the changes don't look to difficult to achieve.

I had been hoping to find one at one or other of the Scottish steel sites, but no joy.

Thanks

Hi Porcy,

I did say 'If'......

Looking at the photos and then at the model, the changes don't look to difficult to achieve.

And so did I.  (Speaking generally)

Modifying each corner looks to be simplicity itself. Especially if one is reasonably accomplished with a large file and in possession of large balls.

P

I had been hoping to find one at one or other of the Scottish steel sites, but no joy.

Thanks

Whereas several English works had them I cannot think of any Scottish Steelworks that used the Janus design, and none of the Scottish steelworks bought a Janus from new.

The largest operator, Colvilles, favoured Rustons, operating them in tandem for heavier duties.

The other large operator was Stewarts & Lloyds. They certainly had some other Yorkshire Engine Co. designs in their fleet but not a single Janus.

Interesting stuff.

I have been back through the thread and Golden valleys webpage this morning and can't find any mention of dual flywheels. So perhaps it was only supposed to have one.

It also appears from other people's pictures my motor is fitted the wrong way round.

Should I change it back the other way ? Or I'm thinking just swap the wires over and add an extra flywheel to the currently unused end.

Even so for the money I am very pleased with it.

The instructions apparently illustrate two. Looking at the pictures kindly provided by owners, there is a recess in the chassis at each end of the motor where flywheels would be. Whichever end of the motor the flywheel is at (depending on the individual model), it seems to sit comfortably in place. Therefore it would seem that the original intention was to provide two. The mystery is why one was omitted. Did Oxford run out of flywheels?

In a perverse sort of way, I admire the ingenuity of the assemblers in managing to install the motor the wrong way round and getting it to work. Somehow or other, the prop shaft seems to have been fitted to the flywheel.

I have a sound-fitted one on order. I hope it makes the right sort of sounds!

Just checked mine (NCB preorder) and all looks OK internally thankfully. One of the handrails is rather distorted which is a bit naff though.

One omission I noticed though, no NEM blanking pieces for the bufferbeam?

TTFN,

Ben

Hi,Well I thought it was time I checked my NCB one that arrived on Friday. A quick run up and down showed hesitation in running and wrong direction running.

So the body was duly removed to show one large fly wheel on the drive shaft end.

Now on Dagworths pics it shows the larger fly wheel and then the smaller one which contains the slot for the plastic drive shaft. I cannot see on those pics but on mine the Larger fly wheel has the slot for the plastic drive shaft.

If Andis has the slot in the larger fly wheel then this would give the production line the ability to place the motor either way around and so not mattering if fitted with one or two fly wheels have been fitted.

With out the body I tried the chassis which still appeared tight. The base plate on mine was screw very tight up and so was loosened off.

It has subsequently now had over an hour on rollers in each direction but still has the hesitation with slow running on track.

I will see if it improves or I return it for a refund.

Thanks Richard

Hi,Well I thought it was time I checked my NCB one that arrived on Friday. A quick run up and down showed hesitation in running and wrong direction running.

So the body was duly removed to show one large fly wheel on the drive shaft end.

Now on Dagworths pics it shows the larger fly wheel and then the smaller one which contains the slot for the plastic drive shaft. I cannot see on those pics but on mine the Larger fly wheel has the slot for the plastic drive shaft.

If Andis has the slot in the larger fly wheel then this would give the production line the ability to place the motor either way around and so not mattering if fitted with one or two fly wheels have been fitted.

With out the body I tried the chassis which still appeared tight. The base plate on mine was screw very tight up and so was loosened off.

It has subsequently now had over an hour on rollers in each direction but still has the hesitation with slow running on track.

I will see if it improves or I return it for a refund.

Thanks Richard

Sounds very much like my one, though I ran the correct direction, so guess it must of had the flywheel on the outer end (though I did not check this) I ended up sending it back, as there was no way it could do any shunting. Plus need a push to start each time. 

Here's my little video from early, guess your was a bit like this? 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LrmDehIZM9s

Edited by SDJR7F88