Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

...and it looks like a different type of flywheel made from a different batch of brass to that at the other end. Curiouser and curiouser.

P

Er. yeah, it wasn't actually like that when I opened it up. :tomato:

Has anyone managed to get the glazing out of the cab? I want to take it out to do a respray but although the glazing itself doesn't appear to be glued in, the black thing under it and the control desk is preventing access to the glazing and is refusing to move. I can't see how it's held in and I wondered if there is any other way of getting it out than brute force and ignorance.

Some general observations about the model and Janus locos.

There is a hole at the opposite ends to where the fuel tank is on the models. This isn't present on all prototypes and when it is there, there is some sort of filler cap in it. The NCB loco portrayed by the model shouldn't have this.

But the locos at BSC Shelton had it.

post-494-0-76835300-1348516274.jpg

post-494-0-43692500-1348516105.jpg

Also, why is the model finished in a mid blue colour when the prototype is black?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7194/6943936423_c7dd947ca3_b.jpg

• Like 2

Also, why is the model finished in a mid blue colour when the prototype is black?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7194/6943936423_c7dd947ca3_b.jpg

It should be a very dark blue; it was the same in service at Littleton. In dull weather it looked black and definitely not the shade modelled.

I have made comment on this in the review in BRM.

Has anyone managed to get the glazing out of the cab? I want to take it out to do a respray but although the glazing itself doesn't appear to be glued in, the black thing under it and the control desk is preventing access to the glazing and is refusing to move. I can't see how it's held in and I wondered if there is any other way of getting it out than brute force and ignorance.

Hi Dave,

There are tabs on each side of the 'black thing' which locate with the cab sides. If you prise out the sides of the cab you can make them out.

They are just visiblein Andy's photo here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105523-oxford-diecastgolden-valley-ye-janus-0-6-0de/?p=2786642

Do this then 'Jer, jer Jiggle' it a bit and Robert is your Dad's brother.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 1

It should be a very dark blue; it was the same in service at Littleton. In dull weather it looked black and definitely not the shade modelled.

Pity, it's an attractive blue on the model.

Like Dave (Ruston), I've just kicked off a thread covering my own modifications with the model.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124596-golden-valley-janus-modifications-and-repaint/

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Any other supplier got any in stock? I just had my Hattons order cancelled as they are out of stock for the ncb example ( after preordering and paying)

Try Cheltenham Model Centre.

£83.99 yesterday

Andi

My second Janus turned up today, pleased to say it runs a dream... In the opposite direction... Seems I've had one of each version!  :jester:

Sadly can't compare both models, as the first has been sent back and refunded.

Though this one runs the other way, it runs a dream (touch wood), so very pleased  :locomotive:

• Like 1

Hi,well further to my post yesterday I have tried some more running with the NCB version. After several hours on rollers it still had the hesitation. So nothing to loose I tried an old Bachmann 4 function chip with an EZ command. Well runs well and no hesitation and down to a very slow speed.

This chip will not fit in the body so a smaller will have to be found. But there is hope with its running qualities.

I would like to see what it would be like with two fly wheels like the Hornby J15.

The way the Janus pics show with the large fly wheel on one end. The other end being very small and more of a drive shaft coupling...I wonder if that makes any difference.

I do have some fly wheels but im not sure if they are balance and so if may have an impact on the running qualities.

Any way for now its staying and we will progress.

Thanks Richard

• Like 2

I'm awaiting a steel version of this loco which is now quoted as Sept/Oct delivery. I've read this thread with interest especially as a number of you have actually taken delivery, inspected and run the loco. I'm a bit concerned with the number of poor running reports as I suspect, with the steel versions being so limited in number, the opportunity to return for a replacement will be virtually nil. Also, the issue of flywheel(s), and if and where fitted, suggests somewhat iffy quality control.

As it's a shunting loco reliable slow speed running is important to me. Can anyone comment on the fitting of 2 flywheels and whether this improves the slow speed capabilities? Also does anyone know where a pair of suitable flywheels can be obtained from?

Hope you guys can help.

• Like 1

I don't think we have seen one with two flywheels yet. I can't see 2 flywheels mentioned in the Golden Valley specification, although it seems the symmetry of the chassis can accommodate two.

'Ruston's' thread on here on page 12 shows his example has 2 flywheels fitted. Not sure if it is too critical though as I have 3 Hornby 08s which only have 1 flywheel on the motor but all run fabulously.

Edited by happyChappy

As discussed above, mine has the 'between motor and gearbox' single flywheel. In combination with the ZIMO MX648 sound decoder it provides excellent slow speed running.

As promised, here's a short video clip featuring my Janus 'ProtoDrive SL' sound project. My 'SL' projects have SpeedLock which enables any road speed to be temporarilly fixed whilst the engine power sounds can be raised or lowered by use of the throttle. This is suplementary to all the other great manual control techniques I've already introduced into  my ProtoDrive projects and ActiveDrive projects from Digitrains.

This clip only really demonstrates the engine sounds and one of the horn options (of 4). I'll expand on this in other clips when I get the time.

Kind regards.

Paul

• Like 5

I'm awaiting a steel version of this loco which is now quoted as Sept/Oct delivery. I've read this thread with interest especially as a number of you have actually taken delivery, inspected and run the loco. I'm a bit concerned with the number of poor running reports as I suspect, with the steel versions being so limited in number, the opportunity to return for a replacement will be virtually nil. Also, the issue of flywheel(s), and if and where fitted, suggests somewhat iffy quality control.

As it's a shunting loco reliable slow speed running is important to me. Can anyone comment on the fitting of 2 flywheels and whether this improves the slow speed capabilities? Also does anyone know where a pair of suitable flywheels can be obtained from?

Hope you guys can help.

I have a PLA version on order but after the heads up of a nice price from Cheltenham Model Centre I ordered a NCB version for a repaint.

Mine ran the right way so looked like the end flywheel version and it is.

IMG_4189.jpg

No fears on the running with DC, it is smooth controllable at low speed it will creep along even with a load using feedback and non feedback controllers straight out of the box. Mind it does scream if you want to pull the Golden Arrow at express speeds. The single flywheel has useful inertia it will keep the model moving a touch after the power is switched off.

Img_4191.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting stuff.

I have been back through the thread and Golden valleys webpage this morning and can't find any mention of dual flywheels. So perhaps it was only supposed to have one.

It also appears from other people's pictures my motor is fitted the wrong way round.

Should I change it back the other way ? Or I'm thinking just swap the wires over and add an extra flywheel to the currently unused end.

Even so for the money I am very pleased with it.

However if you look at the leaflet that comes with the loco it clearly has an internal picture showing 2 flywheels.

There is a hole at the opposite ends to where the fuel tank is on the models. This isn't present on all prototypes and when it is there, there is some sort of filler cap in it. The NCB loco portrayed by the model shouldn't have this but the locos at BSC Shelton had it.

Further to this, From looking at prototype photos of all the versions offered, none had this hole, so I guess a Shelton loco is to be among future releases.

'Ruston's' thread on here on page 12 shows his example has 2 flywheels fitted. Not sure if it is too critical though as I have 3 Hornby 08s which only have 1 flywheel on the motor but all run fabulously.

Mine has two flywheels because it originally had the factory-fitted flywheel at the gearbox end, so I turned another one up out of some brass bar and fitted it to the free end of the motor.