Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

Very pleased with my second model, even though it goes the other way. Running was a tad sticky at first, but after a good run in it runs a dream. 

Here's a little review of the model. It also shows the running qualities compared to my first version, which was very sticky (even after two hours of running in), plus covers the running backwards issue of the second one. Hope it's of interest

Note; Just found out I've been saying Janus wrong... Shows I fell asleep in my Roman History Classes... (Can't believe I missed that)!  :banghead:

(Sorry, video thumbnail not working for me again, maybe it's my internet connection)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDhC1nTvuCY

post-20663-0-58659300-1500708918_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1

Mine has two flywheels because it originally had the factory-fitted flywheel at the gearbox end, so I turned another one up out of some brass bar and fitted it to the free end of the motor.

Thanks, Ruston, for clarifying. I'd assumed it was delivered with two.

Well after some running in I am even more mightily impressed with the slow speed running.

So that is about 4 rpm at the motor. Incredible. Any idea what the starting voltage is, please? A motor with that characteristic could have a lot of other uses. 

So upon further investigation I've found it has a tight spot, motor is wrong way round meaning if course it runs in reverse.... Another going back to golden v

Just take the body off and a few seconds with a soldering iron to swap the wires over.

The repaint of my Janus is finished.All it needs now are some BTH and YORKSHIRE plates from Narrow planet, some BSC logos for the cabsides and a bit of weathering.

post-494-0-74805500-1500844664.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 18

Just take the body off and a few seconds with a soldering iron to swap the wires over.

The repaint of my Janus is finished.All it needs now are some BTH and YORKSHIRE plates from Narrow planet, some BSC logos for the cabsides and a bit of weathering.

YEJanus-005.jpg

Love it! Excellent work

attachicon.gifYEJanus-005.jpg

That is a thing of beauty!  :O

Anybody have any photos of the 2 locos delivered to Litleton Colliery in 1958? The model as supplied has a yellow bufferbeam but I understand that when delivered the bufferbeams were red. Is this true?

David

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived today from Rails of Sheffield. Not much room for a decoder but a Gaugmaster 6-pin/Bachmann harness combo fits just about.

post-29162-0-83837700-1500912873_thumb.jpg

My example is of the single flywheel between the motor and gearbox variety with the motor the wrong way around compared to the instructions. I added "1" to CV29 to correct the direction of travel.

Runs reasonably slowly if a little hesitantly at slow speed. Currently running in on the rolling road.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Anybody have any photos of the 2 locos delivered to Litleton Colliery in 1958? The model as supplied has a yellow bufferbeam but I understand that when delivered the bufferbeams were red. Is this true?

David

I think it is possible, the only photo I've seen of no.7 new is the b&W one in Tony Vernon's book, but very hard to say one way or another. I've also found a photo on an earlier thread by PGH, dated 1970, which appears to show the Janus in black with yellow buffer beams next to its steam predecessor in blue with red buffer beams.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61850-boscomoor-sidings-and-the-littleton-colliery-branch-staffordshire/page-2&do=findComment&comment=833002

I know the 'black' is more correctly a very dark blue, but the difference is marked.

Edit: There's another Littleton Janus photo here too, from 1987.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61850-boscomoor-sidings-and-the-littleton-colliery-branch-staffordshire/page-3&do=findComment&comment=844549

Edited by stovepipe

Thanks Stovepipe and 25901(Robin) for the info on the Littleton locos. The colour is certainly much darker than the model, the problem being if if I resprayed to a really dark blue I loose the National Coal Board lettering! Does anyone do any transfers that would suite?

Perhaps we could persuade Cambridge Custom Transfers to do some?

The photo posted by Robin in my view shows a red bufferbeam as yellow would be far more visible, even in the shadows. My loco arrived today, loose chassis on the body and only one flywheel at the drive coupling end. Quality control certainly needs tightening up.

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stovepipe and 25901(Robin) for the info on the Littleton locos. The colour is certainly much darker than the model, the problem being if if I resprayed to a really dark blue I loose the National Coal Board lettering! Does anyone do any transfers that would suite?

Perhaps we could persuade Cambridge Custom Transfers to do some?

The photo posted by Robin in my view shows a red bufferbeam as yellow would be far more visible, even in the shadows. My loco arrived today, loose chassis on the body and only one flywheel at the drive coupling end. Quality control certainly needs tightening up.

David

Certainly the buffer stocks are red, (as per the 1970 photo I linked to) but the rivets look like they might possibly be yellow? The photo is annotated as circa 1966, so 7 years into its working life. It seems the handrails were body colour rather than black whilst at Littleton, so there are quite a few tweaks to be done all told.