Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

There's no reason why we can't etch the frames/brakes/rods separately from the Janus kit but I haven't had one of the rtr ones to take apart. If you take out the frames what's the height from rail level to the bottom of the body? If the buffer beams stay on the body what's the length between them?

Did anybody reply to this question?

I meant, what looks like a large Can type Capacitor fitted to the DCC blank via the grey wires and seen at the extreme left of Tony M photograph above.

Not the small SMD cap mounted directly on the DCC blank and Identified as C1.

P

My mistake - nope I don’t have or had that big capacitor attached to mine.

Soz for slow reply.

Emailed Golden Valley Hobbies direct and they asked me to return it back to them (refunding the postage).

FYI

I went to run the loco on out club layout which has a dual DC/DCC system (was running DC):
DC - Gaugemaster Model D (Output: 2 x 12v D.C. at 1 amp each controlled).
DCC: Gaugemaster DCC02 Prodigy Advance2.

Not in any hurry for it anyway

Thanks for all the info

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 1

A note of caution regarding the fine printing on the BSC version. I picked mine up by the cab sides but, unfortunately, with a small amount of white spirit on my thumb. Within seconds the fine print details had started to dissolve and come off the surface. So beware and keep any solvents or cleaners well away from this model.

I'm somewhat surprised as I know only too well how difficult it can be to remove logos etc. from Hornby models.

PS. Anyone have a spare BSC version cab for sale?

HC

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Has anyone fitted a decoder to the Janus, I have tried Lenz, Hattons 8 pin direct and TCS without finding a fit.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable decoder.

Thanks in advance,

MickD.

• RMweb Gold

A note of caution regarding the fine printing on the BSC version. I picked mine up by the cab sides but, unfortunately, with a small amount of white spirit on my thumb. Within seconds the fine print details had started to dissolve and come off the surface. So beware and keep any solvents or cleaners well away from this model.

I'm somewhat surprised as I know only too well how difficult it can be to remove logos etc. from Hornby models.

PS. Anyone have a spare BSC version cab for sale?

HC

Do you have a picture ? Is white spirit an option for renunbering this ?

I’ve not used it in the past for renunbering, but I have found it didn’t affect models when I acquired one which some had used a black marker pen on the body work, and it took it right off a treat restoring its original finish.

The more I read this thread the more confused I get about the recess on the bonnet that houses the three domes!

Do the Scunthorpe ones have the recess but no filter domes?

Do the Stocksbridge ones not have any?

What about the Orgreave ones?

Is there a simplifier for the above?

Mark Saunders

Hi,

Has anyone fitted a decoder to the Janus, I have tried Lenz, Hattons 8 pin direct and TCS without finding a fit.

Thanks in advance,

MickD.

Bachmann 6pin with adapter

Edited by Ouroborus

Do you have a picture ? Is white spirit an option for renunbering this ?

I’ve not used it in the past for renunbering, but I have found it didn’t affect models when I acquired one which some had used a black marker pen on the body work, and it took it right off a treat restoring its original finish.

I would say white spirit is definitely a good option for removing any of the fine printed detail, including the number and the blue diagonal lines, on the cab-side of the BSC Janus. Maybe because the background colour is white the background appears unaffected by the 'white' spirit. I didn't rub the surface at all - just got a bit of white spirit on the printed detail by mistake. Try using a white spirit soaked cotton bud on the number you want to change.

Hope this helps. HC

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

MickD.

Hattons 8 pin harness (decoder in red shrinkwrap marked DCC Concepts) is slim and thin enough to fit at 45 degrees in the small void at other end of bonnet. (Assuming yours doesnt have a bloody great flywheel there!) Just take care to avoid contact with the motor spindle.

HTH

John

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann 6pin with adapter

Hi, Thanks for the replies to my decoder question, if they had put the PCB at the front I think it would have been much easier to get one to fit.

Many thanks both.

MickD.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just had a payment request from Golden Valley - it looks as if the long awaited (by me) BP one should be here during Feb!

Be interesting to see if it arrives with it's matching wagons.

I have had the same request. I can't remember what the original price was but £103:94 seems pretty reasonable.