Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

26 minutes ago, Norton961 said:

Re being trialed on BR I think it was trialed in the Sheffield area for a few months. 

David

I recall seeing a photo of an undecorated Janus in a BR yard in northern England doing shunting trials.   By which time BR found they had surplus of 03 and 08 shunters, so no longer required.   Colin.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2019 at 07:10, Mark Saunders said:

Has anyone put a replacement motor one and if so what did you use?

Mark Saunders 

On 30/06/2019 at 08:05, bigherb said:

Is there need to?

I'm beginning to think that converting one to EM might be simpler with a complete new motor and probably chassis too.

The total lack of availability of spares and the wanton disregard for accurate measurements in the drive train department are making the task more difficult than it should be.

If a replacement motor was to be sourced, then it might not be such a straight swap.

Mike.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Now is the chance to have a second PLA Janus from Golden Valley at an attractive postage included price.   Just the excuse I wanted to have a second one!   Ordered through Ebay on Thursday it arrived Saturday and was soon renumbered from 201 to 200.   Stephen of Narrow Planet had reproduced the PLA plate so that on ordering the chosen number, 200 to 209, could be easily added.   I had my etch ready, painted with red background, and soon affixed as in the view.   So with lockdown coming order the loco straightaway while there is still some stock.   Get an order to Narrow Planet asap and you may be lucky to miss any lockdown delay.    

PLA 200.JPG

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, coline33 said:

Get an order to Narrow Planet asap and you may be lucky to miss any lockdown delay.    

PLA 200.JPG

Very nice!  I'm afraid Narrow Planet have already stopped taking orders for the rest of this year. 

https://www.narrowplanet.co.uk/pages/coronavirus-information

They (or their etchers) haven't yet caught up on the backlog from the first lockdown in March.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Moxy said:

Very nice!  I'm afraid Narrow Planet have already stopped taking orders for the rest of this year. 

https://www.narrowplanet.co.uk/pages/coronavirus-information

They (or their etchers) haven't yet caught up on the backlog from the first lockdown in March.

I had a set of Ruston plates for my Janus arrive about a month ago after several weeks’ waiting.

steve

Edited by steve1
  • Like 1

The PLA Janus locos were numbered 200 to 209 using these plates.   Although 200 and 201 arrived at Tilbury Docks with P.L.A. and the number painted in white on the cabs, all had received the plates by the time all ten were together at Royal Docks.   If anyone has a photo of a Janus with these plates at Tilbury, I would be most grateful to see please?

• Like 2

Thanks, Stovepipe.   Yes, certainly the painted numbers were still in evidence there in 1961.   Alas I cannot find proof that plates were fitted after this date to the ex-Tilbury four before the Railway Department was disbanded in 1965 when no further such changes would have been made.   So maybe plates were never made for Nos.200-205.   Interestingly when I was transferred in April 1969 to Tilbury Docks I do not recall seeing the fifth Janus received direct to Tilbury being in the line of remaining stock.   I never enquired further then as I had thought al five had been transferred to Royals earlier.   Colin.

• Like 1

Well done, Philip.   How about adding the headlamps to the ends???   This was a major extra to the order sheet required by PLA not just because of dark  mornings and evenings on London's two-shift days but at Tilbury Docks had been a 24/7 railway service to handle traffic to and from the daily Cockerill Line service to Antwerp which was the first regular service the dock had from opening in 1884.   It ended in 1969 from the Tidal Basin berths as the first of the cross-channel containership services started from the then new 43 berth.    

The number 201 was chosen not only because its actual plate in full colour survived but it was one of the five Janus locos that had worked both at Tilbury and then Royal Docks.   Stephen has done a good job with the etch despite the PLA's full title being crammed into such a small space!   Please if anyone wants a bargain just to renumber as I did, then order now as the final stock should not be available for too long.  PS. I was only involved in getting the livery and number correct!  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

My Oxford Rail Janus 0-6-0 is not running well. It needs push/gentle touch multiple times.

Although the attached video is intended for Hattons, but it will explain my problem. Hattons asked me to adjust the pickups.  But even after that also the loco is not running properly.  Can anyone here help me with what to do? One thing I would like to mention that this is the replacement unit I got from Hattons as the first one was having same issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hOrHaw1WNI8lwhKKaeYbTN1du0PcjvRs/view?usp=sharing 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried cleaning the wheels and track? The big loco has a lot of pick ups over a long wheelbase. But, the Jan7s stops dead over that baseboard joint which would indicate that it is losing all power there.  Does it work everywhere else? 

Baz

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

When you push the loco down and make better contact with the track the sound restarts, that indicates poor track/wheel interface at that point. The bogie locomotive won't show a similar problem if it can bridge the gap where the dirty track/poor contact is.

Carry out Baz's suggestion first, the Janus is a very light locomotive with fine pick ups and is susceptible to issues like this.

Mike.

• Like 1

It is fair to say that any 0-6-0 wheel arrangement will find any 'peaks' in the track especially if the rails have not gone into the slides properly at a track join.   You may have a see-saw situation lifting the end wheel sets slightly up to lose contact which is as Baz says.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 05/11/2020 at 06:44, coline33 said:

Now found my PLA collection!!!   Plates do appear on ex-Tilbury 203 at Royal docks and here is the photo of the actual PLA plate for 201 that Narrow Planet used for the etch.   Confusion resolved!!!

PLA 203 Royals (3) E shed RVDk - PLA.jpg

PLA 201 number plate - colour.jpg

Really interesting.

PLA seems to be a challenging subject?

I have obtained three Janus from Golden Valley (they are still available but they are out odf the BTH etches). Started to study them and use Dave Marden's London's Dock Railways nice books too.

Even though most pictures are in black and white they do seem to show several Janus livery differences in their short PLA lives?

I attach my model based on my interpretation of those found on page 79 of the Part 2 of Dave's books.

Wow, I did not anticipate that those nameplates might have a blue centre though!

Noticing:

- Shorter handrails on the side of the engine snout.

- No handrail on the top left of the footplate steps sidewalls which are smooth.

- Much simpler front handrails?

- Bottom of front handrail has a small perpendicular handrail instead on early/Tilbury ones 201/203 seen in Part 1 Pg 75 (chevrons over bufferbeams and footplate steps with only painted numbers on the side) at least?

* Will be very grateful of any help please?

- (I also got two Pecketts too but research suggests only one W4 ever with PLA?

Not sure if feasible to convincingly convert to an earlier Peckett variant?)

20210615_110445~2.jpg

20210608_105039~2.jpg

• Like 5