Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

• RMweb Premium

Tried ours at the club tonight (I have no 16.5 mm track). It runs in the right direction and reasonably smoothly, though i hope it will improve when run in. Members seem happy with it and think it looks good but it really needs some weathering for a coal mine loco.

Jonathan

My second one arrived last week to be repainted and just like my first one it was wired the wrong way round, I've ordered a third one today which is also for repainting... I wonder if it will be third time lucky to get one wired up right :)

• Like 1

Well number three arrived today and as expected wired up the wrong way round yet again (thats one from Hattons, one from Rails of Sheffield and one from Hereford Model Centre)

This one is going to be repainted but if it was to keep as original it would have gone back due to a printing error. I will be getting etched plates to cover this so it doesn't matter to me but its not good for someone not wanting to modify it:

post-25287-0-38684400-1501325623_thumb.jpg

Well number three arrived today and as expected wired up the wrong way round yet again (thats one from Hattons, one from Rails of Sheffield and one from Hereford Model Centre)

This one is going to be repainted but if it was to keep as original it would have gone back due to a printing error. I will be getting etched plates to cover this so it doesn't matter to me but its not good for someone not wanting to modify it:

attachicon.gifjanus_printing.jpg

One of mine had a printing error that I have only just realised after seeing the photos posted by SDJF7F88. The "National Coal Board" lettering was on the engine cover doors in three places but in one place it was above the doors.

Picked up my NCB Janus from my shop today, as they only received their delivery this week. I had alerted them to the motor wiring issue, so they tested each of their 7 locos. 4 ran in the correct direction and 3 ran in the opposite direction, so there could be a 50% approx. reverse wiring error. As they were alerted before receiving their order, they contacted Golden Valley to find out what they were proposing. GV maintained the problem was that some locos had the blanking plate fitted in reverse, which both the shop owner and I doubted, as the plates are normally a one way fit. They also found out from Golden Valley after receiving the stock that GV weren't testing remaining stock, despite being aware of the fault. 

Edited by rembrow

GV maintained the problem was that some locos had the blanking plate fitted in reverse, which both the shop owner and I doubted, as the plates are normally a one way fit. 

The blanking plates fit either way but don't alter the direction of travel.

Have cancelled my order for sound-fitted Janus - Oxford's Quality Control really needs to up their game. I was looking forward to Oxford's plans for model railways as I have been a fan and purchaser of their 1:76 die-cast for many years, but it does appear from posts on RMWeb that they have not realised the added complexity of locomotives sufficiently.

Edited by dcroz

Have cancelled my order for sound-fitted Janus - Oxford's Quality Control really needs to up their game. I was looking forward to Oxford's plans for model railways as I have been a fan and purchaser of their 1:76 die-cast for many years, but it does appear from posts on RMWeb that they have not realised the added complexity of locomotives sufficiently.

Taking your view point to its logical conclusion you will never be buying from some of the worlds largest automotive manufacturers as they have frequently had to recall vehicles and never buy certain brands of domestic appliance because fridges and washing machines have caught fire!

It is all probably down to Human error installing the motor the wrong way around just like lots of plugs rewired by householders throughout the country giving no use protection!

Mark Saunders 

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

You're absolutely right - waiting for "perfection" in most things would mean a very long wait!

We all therefore have to make an individual decision on where we draw the line - for some this may be over-sized splashers, wash-out plugs obscured by handrails etc. Neither of these issues would stop me buying something that fitted my layout's era, for me, however, the line is one where locos wired "backwards" aren't picked up in the QC process before they leave the factory!

Guest Midland Mole

however, the line is one where locos wired "backwards" aren't picked up in the QC process before they leave the factory!

*cough* Dapol 68s *cough*

:P Alex

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just take the body off and a few seconds with a soldering iron to swap the wires over.

The repaint of my Janus is finished.All it needs now are some BTH and YORKSHIRE plates from Narrow planet, some BSC logos for the cabsides and a bit of weathering.

attachicon.gifYEJanus-005.jpg

Superb, Dave.

Is the small gap between the cab and the footplate what was alluded to earlier in the thread?

• RMweb Gold

Also, how overscale are those handrails, they are clearly plastic and look a tad overscale. Might be able to live with that, a replacement etch could be problematical, as it wouldn't represent the roundness of the handrails, so a soldered up job of the appropriate brass or N/S wire might be called for.

• Like 1

Shouldn't need a diagram. Just a simple matter of swapping the red and black motor wires on their respective terminals on the circuit board.( I don't have one yet so assume it's a de-soldering/re-soldering job).

Looking at this pic it's teminals M1 and M2 that need to be swapped.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105523-oxford-diecastgolden-valley-ye-janus-0-6-0de/page-12&do=findComment&comment=2788501

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Shouldn't need a diagram. Just a simple matter of swapping the red and black motor wires on their respective terminals on the circuit board.( I don't have one yet so assume it's a de-soldering/re-soldering job).

Looking at this pic it's teminals M1 and M2 that need to be swapped.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105523-oxford-diecastgolden-valley-ye-janus-0-6-0de/page-12&do=findComment&comment=2788501

P

If you are on DCC I'd not touch the wiring but as the locomotive is symmetrical I think I might put a shunters poll or something else to identify the front.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you are on DCC I'd not touch the wiring but as the locomotive is symmetrical I think I might put a shunters poll or something else to identify the front.

the loco is not 100% symmetrical, it has three brass things at one end only

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

• RMweb Premium

Taking your view point to its logical conclusion you will never be buying from some of the worlds largest automotive manufacturers as they have frequently had to recall vehicles and never buy certain brands of domestic appliance because fridges and washing machines have caught fire!

It is all probably down to Human error installing the motor the wrong way around just like lots of plugs rewired by householders throughout the country giving no use protection!

Mark Saunders 

It must be said that reading about locos with differing motor arrangements to that which was expected and provided with magazine review samples, one flywheel, two flywheels, motors fitted reversed, does not give complete confidence in those offered for sale. One could be forgiven for gaining the impression that the factory ran out of parts with which to assemble the locos and found an ad-hoc work-around to complete them, just missing in the process the fact that the motor wires were not reversed to suit and the locos thus run the opposite to normal convention.

However, reading further comments about poorly placed/executed printed details made down to a price rather than up to a quality seems to resonate with me. Indeed this is the overall view I am left with after reading all the comments posted on the various threads relating to the Oxford locos, Radial, Dean Goods, etc released to date. This might be unfair and the fault is poor assembly/QC, but the end result is the same.

Izzy