Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

• RMweb Gold

Hi Keith,

Having had one totally apart at the weekend and then put back together....

Check the pickups on the wheel backs - one of mine had a slight twist that was causing a noise similar to the one you describe.

Once fiddled with to straighten the pick up - the noise has gone.

Thanks

Mine was similar, although in my case it didn't result in noise but in stopping occasionally at very low speeds, straightening the pick-up solved it

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Having fitted sound into the model I was disappointed with the sound level coming from the model.

I have tried doing all the sound levels at max to see if it made a difference and it didn't improve things much.

So - back to study the model and how it is constructed.

The problem is that there are no holes for the sound to escape from inside the body.

When the body and chassis are assembled they make a virtually sound tight box.

So you need to find a way to let the sound escape which should improve the sound levels experienced.

I looked at the radiator grills and decided the moulding was so fine that cutting them out and fitting an etched replacement would not look as good.

I looked in the cab, under the cab, under the chassis and didn't find a way to make any openings.

Then I looked at the bonnets and wondered how the flat plate on top of them was mounted.

They mount with 2 pegs down into the bonnet moulding and leave a gap between the bonnet top and the flat plate!

On removing the flat plate - simple task as they are not stuck together - push the pegs from inside the body and the plate lifts away.

This leaves 2 nice flat areas that are large enough to drill a series of holes in to let out the sound, but are invisible once the plate is reattached.

Out with the pin chuck and a good sharp dril and drill the holes!

Photos to come tomorrow!

With this mod the sound level has increased by over 50% to my ears!

Much better than before.....

Thanks

• Like 4

Hi,Well further to my postings a couple of weeks ago my Janus went back for a refund.Just didn't improve with running in or any amount of tinkering with it.

Interesting pics in this months Model Rail which appeared on the door mat the other day.

They do not mention it but the pics show theirs assembled the wrong way round but also something that I didn't see on mine or on other internal pics is a large capacitor fitted to the blanking plug.Also a green keeper plate underneath.

There seems to have been quite a few variations on assembly with this item.

Well sorry mine had to go back but I hope others are enjoying theirs.

Thanks Richard

• RMweb Premium

Hi,Well further to my postings a couple of weeks ago my Janus went back for a refund.Just didn't improve with running in or any amount of tinkering with it.

Interesting pics in this months Model Rail which appeared on the door mat the other day.

They do not mention it but the pics show theirs assembled the wrong way round but also something that I didn't see on mine or on other internal pics is a large capacitor fitted to the blanking plug.Also a green keeper plate underneath.

There seems to have been quite a few variations on assembly with this item.

Well sorry mine had to go back but I hope others are enjoying theirs.

Thanks Richard

Yet the one reviewed in RM had the motor assembled the right way round and with two flywheels.

Yet the one reviewed in RM had the motor assembled the right way round and with two flywheels.

So there are variants with twin flywheels? Previous posts suggested only ever one flywheel. I wonder if some of these random variations will be sorted in future versions?

I was a little bit suspicious to Oxfordrails reasoning (given via Andy Y's earlier posting) as to problems being down to an assembly error on the part of one production team.

From photographs published in this thread there are clearly, at least two different types of motor to gearbox coupling methods and short or long fly leads from the motor. Assuming that assembly methodology is production line based with the model being built up from sub assemblies picked from parts bins there seems to be more going on here than just mis-assembly of an almost symmetrical part.

I seem to remember it was Oxford rails boast when they announced entry into the model rail sector, that the factory they were using was under much closer control than factories other Model Railway manufacturers were using, hence it would be quicker to solve any problems that arise.

It makes me now wonder if this is the case?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• 2 weeks later...

I took it from all the info GVH are releasing they are being fitted by the factory in a separate run to the first batch. I do wonder when they are due though as the original estimate was June time and now seemingly September. I assume they are being produced now and shipped, which I guess if they are on the boat will make their ETA October?

I had been wondering if it was additional locomotives as the BSC liveried ones are meant to be a limited run of 500 or has this been amended!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

I took it from all the info GVH are releasing they are being fitted by the factory in a separate run to the first batch. I do wonder when they are due though as the original estimate was June time and now seemingly September. I assume they are being produced now and shipped, which I guess if they are on the boat will make their ETA October?

Hi all,

If only we could get some 'official communication' from Golden Valley...

Discussed this with local model shop today and they think the delivery to them will be 'post Warley' with models being available at Warley.

So that's November!

Thanks

In the meantime, I have an authentic Janus sound project available on ZIMO MX648.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105523-oxford-diecastgolden-valley-ye-janus-0-6-0de/?p=2791037

Decoders are available immediately, no problem with ZIMO supplies and it is a straightforward installation.

Please me send a PM.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds done by Legomanbiffo rather than Oxford. Talking with Charlie last said they were being fitted by the factory to the models. He mentioned they have been busy doing sounds for the Dapol N King.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. This will be the first Oxford Sound loco, but  I'm sure the volume can be tweaked.

You should try listening to a factory sound-fitted Oxford Dean Goods - even with the volume set at maximum you can hardly hear it. Mine's gone back, if they can't get sound out of it I'll swap it for a non-fitted sound version. No point in paying for sound if you can't hear it.

Keith

I had the factory fitted sound on order but with all of the build issues around flywheels, have settled for a self install with a Paul Chetter Zimo chip & sugar cube speaker. It sounds good and runs nicely so quite happy but interested to see how the factory ones turn out.

I pre-ordered the Port of London version with sound, so hopefully by the time they come along all the production issues will have been sorted out. 

After a few emails with Fiona from GVH, Janus is boxed up for return, can't fault the model (apart from no sound) one of them things, 2nd loco this year to be returned due to issues, other was BLI,,

Hopefully both will be back soon fully working,