Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

I saw the sound equipped version being demonstrated to a potential customer earlier today and I'm now regretting buying the non-sound one. It ran like a dream out of the box and the sound sounded really good - I don't know the protoype but it sounded like there were two engines in the loco, just as it should do. the potential customer very quickly got his wallet out :-)

Yes, I have one of each, and I was surprised at how closely the colours matched. I have now turned down the sound CV on my Janus from full power to 150 to ease the pressure on the amplifier and speaker with little discernable effect. Trevor

• Like 1

My sound fitted one arrived yesterday when I was at the Middleton playing with 305mm:foot scale trains.

Just had a chance this morning to give it a little run. I'm pleased to say she seems to stall less on the track than other locomotives and the sound is spot on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Before i fire off an e-mail to Golden Valley has any one seen anything about the next batch (British Steel).

Our friendly liverpool based retailer is still showing it as October delivery!.

Thanks

Owen

• RMweb Premium

Sorry no pictures.

Mine has arrived safely from Hattons and I am very pleased with it.

The finish is very good although the wheels do look a little plasticy in yellow. Nothing that can't be easily resolved.

I like the fact the front/rear hand rails have been changed to include lights (nonworking).

It ran well on the club layout last night (in the right direction).

I'll whip the body off over the weekend to check the flywheel arrangement.

But all in all a very nice useable model.

Owen 

• Like 1

Is it lazy research, or they just can't be bothered? I had hoped that they'd at least get the buffers right for the Appleby Frodingham locos but they haven't and they've even forgot to put the Yorkshire plate on the ends! Not only that but the hole in the LH end of the valance is still present where it shouldn't be.

And something that I don't think anyone has mentioned at all is how these models have the air intakes on only one end. It may be like that on the original single loco that they measured up for the first (NCB) model, which has preumably had modifications in service or preservation but when built they all had air intakes on each end.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p1692913703-3.jpg

Never mind, it's only an industrial loco, it's not like it's the Flying Scotsman or anything...

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it's a case of can't be bothered, I think it's more a case of economics.  There were 102 of these locos built, and just a quick scan through this thread shows some of them were rebuilt several times over the years, goodness knows how many detail differences there are. 

Producing RTR models costs time and money, and the more differences in lights/panels/exhausts/cab doors etc that you incorporate in the model the higher the price will be, so there has to be a balance struck between detail levels and final selling price, otherwise the model becomes uneconomic to produce.

I would much rather have a RTR Janus at an affordable price with some (potentially) incorrect details that I can personalise to my own needs than no RTR Janus at all.