Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

Hi Mark,

Did you do any renumbering on your multiple British Steel shunters?

Mark

Mark

Not yet as they are nowhere close to the top of the pile for getting sorted!

Building some proper steelworks internal user wagons will come first before the renumbering, the Orgreave tipplers are the start of this!

Mark

post-3578-0-09231800-1535233539_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Saunders
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The last of the 6 announced is now available, Richard Borrett in ICI moroon.

It will be interesting to see if they announce any more, or if they decided to do something new.

Owen

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello,

I was looking for some advice this weekend. I can maybe see why Hattons is selling the BP version for £49...

I tried testing mine initially under DC. I have the model with one brass 'flywheel' on the inside of the motor, and a large capacitor on the blanking plug. Same as these photos:

post-29162-0-83837700-1500912873_thumb.jpost-33284-0-96878100-1513778741.jpg

Under DC I get very little to no movement, the wheels barely turn, even with a little encouragement to push the loco along it doesn't go anywhere. I also at times get an almighty spark coming from the wheels when first put in on track under DC. 

I switched to DCC to see if this would help, and in some ways it does. I get a lot more movement from the loco, but it is very start and stop and always needs a light encouraging push to get it going. It will run for a bit, then stop, and requires said push again. I have given all the recommended parts and oiling as suspected the loco may have been sitting in the box for awhile. I cna't really go through much of a range of speeds due to it always faltering during running.

It feels like I have to hold down the black and red wires on top of the PCB down to get anything like continuous running, so unsure if it is a wiring issue or pick up issue that is holding it back. 

Ideally would like to 'run it in' before making a decision, but considering I ca't get it to run for any more than a few seconds unaided it may have to be going back to Hattons on Monday.

Any advice would be welcome :)

Cheers

Edited by Richy59

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

I was looking for some advice this weekend. I can maybe see why Hattons is selling the BP version for £49...

I tried testing mine initially under DC. I have the model with one brass 'flywheel' on the inside of the motor, and a large capacitor on the blanking plug. Same as these photos:

post-29162-0-83837700-1500912873_thumb.jpost-33284-0-96878100-1513778741.jpg

Under DC I get very little to no movement, the wheels barely turn, even with a little encouragement to push the loco along it doesn't go anywhere. I also at times get an almighty spark coming from the wheels when first put in on track under DC. 

I switched to DCC to see if this would help, and in some ways it does. I get a lot more movement from the loco, but it is very start and stop and always needs a light encouraging push to get it going. It will run for a bit, then stop, and requires said push again. I have given all the recommended parts and oiling as suspected the loco may have been sitting in the box for awhile. I cna't really go through much of a range of speeds due to it always faltering during running.

It feels like I have to hold down the black and red wires on top of the PCB down to get anything like continuous running, so unsure if it is a wiring issue or pick up issue that is holding it back. 

Ideally would like to 'run it in' before making a decision, but considering I ca't get it to run for any more than a few seconds unaided it may have to be going back to Hattons on Monday.

Any advice would be welcome :)

Cheers

Send it back. Regardless of cost, that it not fit for purpose.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Send it back. Regardless of cost, that it not fit for purpose.

Ok then :P Didn't think much could be done, was just curious as have it until I can send back on Monday. I emailed Hattons about returning it and they have asked for full details with the problems I'm having with it, so sent them what I posted and see what their reply is.

• Like 1

That is most unfortunate. I got one and the worst I can say about it is that it has a slight tight spot, which prevents it running perfectly smoothly at the extremely slow speed expected from a shunter. It is not by any means bad and I am reasonably content with it, especially at that price. I expect that the low price has more to do with people being less enthusiastic about the BP livery than the others. I think you have just got a dud and a replacement (barring more bad luck) should be all right. I hope Hatton’s sort you out – they are normally very good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is most unfortunate. I got one and the worst I can say about it is that it has a slight tight spot, which prevents it running perfectly smoothly at the extremely slow speed expected from a shunter. It is not by any means bad and I am reasonably content with it, especially at that price. I expect that the low price has more to do with people being less enthusiastic about the BP livery than the others. I think you have just got a dud and a replacement (barring more bad luck) should be all right. I hope Hatton’s sort you out – they are normally very good.

You're probably right, maybe not most exciting livery so probably have an abundance of them in stock. Hattons told me to send it back to them, unsure if they will test it before replacing or if I'll just get a direct replacement. Going back in the box alongside a broken Dapol IDA wagon that was sent in same package as well...

My PLA 201 has been in store since delivered from the batch arrival in UK.   Yesterday for use in testing Osborn Models foam inset for paved dockside track, it ran perfectly out of the box.   Although the foam was not glued down it passed over the foam inset beautifully and on the curves too.   The foam is cobbled on one side but being smooth on the other its is perfect for PLA quayside tracks.   This Janus will shortly change its number to PLA 200.

• Like 4

Guest teacupteacup

I got a BP one this week, ran very rough straight from the box, but 15 minutes of running it smoothed up nicely. I'm sure another few hours of running it will be great. Are the motors in these coreless?

I received a BP one last week, ran great straight from the box, its wired the correct way round, not sure about the flywheel situation inside - I'll check that when I get round to putting a decoder in it

Mike Edge now does an etched chassis kit for the Oxford Janus.

post-7071-0-13069400-1543230252_thumb.jpg

This kit is designed with EM and P4 spacers.
If you wish to build a 00 version the S4 spacers are 1/2 etched for 00 gauge.
Correction having looked at the S4 spacers in my chassis kit they are not half etched.
You could still reduce the S4 spacers to 00.

The chassis can be built rigid or beam compensated with all axles moving.
There are 1/2 etched cut-outs around the axles to accommodate High Level horn guides.

The fine scale wheels recommended are Gibson 4844P 3ft 8 inch 12 spoke.

The builders plates in the plastic bag on the left are £3.00 extra.

Gordon A
Edited by Gordon A
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know where the half etch lines have gone, they are clearly visible on the drawing but as Gordon says they aren't on the etch! If anyone does want to build this in 00 gauge then the S4 spacers need to be cut down by 2mm on each side. We are also going to include a pair of moulded headlights (the ones fitted on the end handrails on many locos) with this etch.

Price is £18 + £1.50 postage.

• Like 2