Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

That's the problem with industrial locos. There are far more variations than will be easy to produce as a model. Not only manufacturer variations, but user modifications over time.

Time to do some modelling maybe?

Cheers,

Mick

Not just industrial locomotives, class 37's from different manufacturers! Class 47's how many versions and modifications!

These modifications have caused more arguments and filled more posts than industrial locomotives can dream of!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

That's the problem with industrial locos. There are far more variations than will be easy to produce as a model. Not only manufacturer variations, but user modifications over time.

Cheers,

Mick

That doesn't just apply to industrial locos. All main line classes received various modifications during their working lives but individual locos didn't necessarily get all of them and implementation often took place over a number of years.

Unless you are very lucky, and the manufacturer picks exactly the loco you want, as running at exactly the period you want, some degree of "customising" has always been necessary if you want to get it right.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

Do you mean the cut-away at the top on each side of the buffer beam? Just been through my 100+ Janus pics, and it seems only the Shelton locos had this type of buffer beam. I suppose it would be Ok for the British Steel version, but not for the Port of London, NCB or BP versions.

Yes, that's correct. I'm guessing that YE2868 at Foxfield was used for the measurements.

My point is that the model will be fundamentally incorrect for the vast majority of livery variations. This fact should have been captured in the model research, as a different profile beam would be correct for >90% of the class

post-5089-0-33223000-1453920016_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I'm not afraid of a little modelling

Paul A. 

• Like 4

• Administrators

The model shown is a single example that only just made it to the show from China - timing was so tight there wasn't even a pre-announcement to the press.

The footplate is a single casting and it's reasonable to assume there willl be several other moulds offering different buffer beams. Assuming this is the case, they just clip a different one on to the body and plonk it on the chassis.

No need to worry yet. The model isn't due until later in the year, by which time there will be more information available.

• Like 1

Looks very good to me, no need for one and im certainly no expert on liveries and details but will be purchasing one just because i like the look of them, really does look like 2 02's welded back to back! Hopefully its a success and its bigger brother will be next on the production line

• RMweb Gold

I've only ever found these b&w photos of them on the PLA system, but there is some colour footage of a Janus (no 203) at work in a promotion film. I've got a few stills from it, but I can't find a link to it again sadly.

https://flic.kr/p/a2Dy4y

https://flic.kr/p/a329au

https://flic.kr/p/a2fBXn

Many of the locos ended up at GKN in Tremorfa with much of the original livery intact - blue with wasp stripes. There are some photos of these locos around on Flickr.

I think there is an 0-6-0 single cab on the Gloucs, Warks Rly which is from the PLA originally which has been restored into the original livery.

Edit: yes this one

5564480691_13ae7b7e2d_b.jpgYorkshire 372 "DES" in Toddington Yard by Paul Jones, on Flickr

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Stovepipe, that gives me a good idea. Tempted by one of these and PLA seems the most likely to be seen with 'Anything'.

Manchester Ship Canal and Trafford Park also used these locomotives together with the Sentinel four wheelers as in the Hornby model.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure that any Janus were at those locations, until the last years of the system. They did buy a few YEC 0-4-0s from new, but no Janus' as far as I know. There was one at Trafford Park in the 1990s ex-ICI Runcorn, but for most of the time MSC used Sentinels, Hunslets and Hudswell Clarkes.

Actually Sentinel did complete three Janus after YEC closed, but they had slightly different bodywork and were (are?) used at Scunthorpe.

I've only ever found these b&w photos of them on the PLA system, but there is some colour footage of a Janus (no 203) at work in a promotion film. I've got a few stills from it, but I can't find a link to it again sadly.

https://flic.kr/p/a2Dy4y

https://flic.kr/p/a329au

https://flic.kr/p/a2fBXn

Many of the locos ended up at GKN in Tremorfa with much of the original livery intact - blue with wasp stripes. There are some photos of these locos around on Flickr.

I think there is an 0-6-0 single cab on the Gloucs, Warks Rly which is from the PLA originally which has been restored into the original livery.

Edit: yes this one

5564480691_13ae7b7e2d_b.jpgYorkshire 372 "DES" in Toddington Yard by Paul Jones, on Flickr

Well what a surprise seeing this photo! I actually own this loco which is YE2760 of 1959.  It did originally work at the PLA as their number 235 before going to GKN Cardiff (later ASW) in 1971 when it was renumbered 372.  The livery carried by it now is actually BR blue! Not prototypical but it does look good! It is at Toddington on the Glos Warks Railway and I would love to see a OO model of this produced!!  The blue livery of these locos when they first went to ASW was a much lighter almost powder blue with yellow / blue wasp stripes.  They were subsequently painted black with cast numberplates.  ASW had a mix of ex PLA Janus twin engine locos and these single engine 325hp versions.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well what a surprise seeing this photo! I actually own this loco which is YE2760 of 1959.  It did originally work at the PLA as their number 235 before going to GKN Cardiff (later ASW) in 1971 when it was renumbered 372.  The livery carried by it now is actually BR blue! Not prototypical but it does look good! It is at Toddington on the Glos Warks Railway and I would love to see a OO model of this produced!!  The blue livery of these locos when they first went to ASW was a much lighter almost powder blue with yellow / blue wasp stripes.  They were subsequently painted black with cast numberplates.  ASW had a mix of ex PLA Janus twin engine locos and these single engine 325hp versions.

A most attractive little engine, and beautifully turned out.

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the interesting info about the PLA liveries. I've looked again at my screengrabs from the promotional film of YEC2633 (PLA no. 203) I mentioned earlier, and yes the wasp stripes are indeed yellow and blue. The films is pretty dark, though I would not describe the colour as powder blue, more a mid-blue with less red pigment. Perhaps the paint had faded by the time they moved to ASW in Cardiff in the early 1970s. This shot of YEC2630 (PLA no. 202) at ASW many years after arrival, is still displaying the remains of the PLA livery, though the wasp stripes on either side of the steps which PLA 203 had are not present. Red coupling rod is same as PLA livery.

https://flic.kr/p/9TFg9J

Does your loco get much use? It would be nice to be able to ride behind some of these industrial from time to time.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see some detailed photos of your loco such as inside the cab and around the engines etc...

Also just being nosey how do you come to own it? I can imagine if I came home and told the Mrs I'd bought a real loco I might well end up living in it .

Thanks

Owen

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see some detailed photos of your loco such as inside the cab and around the engines etc...

Also just being nosey how do you come to own it? I can imagine if I came home and told the Mrs I'd bought a real loco I might well end up living in it .

Thanks

Owen

Hi Owen,

I have plenty of photos of the engine especially after we fitted a replacement engine a few years back, I can take some cab interior pics next time I go up there for you.  Most of my photos are on my flickr account - follow this link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/372paul/

I can post a few on here if people would like them.

I came to own it jointly with my father, we set out to save it for a local railway society as it was the last one of its type left there.  After the society declined it we took it on ourselves!  I certainly wouldn't get away with it now with my wife LOL!  Now how do you post a photo on here!

• Like 1

First Peek - Janus Liveries are here
We've received the draft versions of all 4 liveries of the Janus loco and wagons.

We thought you'd like to see them before they appear on the website shortly.
Please remember these are 'as received' and there will be changes required. 
Monitors display colours slightly differently to real paint - the shades may not appear right until we have painted versions.

unnamed.jpg

Can readers help?

• On the BP loco - do you know the running number applied to the BP Janus loco?

unnamed (1).jpg

For the British Steel livery we need help to confirm this point:

• Are the cab roofs Plain white or do the stripes carry on over the entire roof?

unnamed (2).jpg

For the Port of London:

• Were the headstocks Red?
  • Are the hand rails Silver, light grey, yellow or red?
  • Was the cab roof Blue or Black?
  • Were the wheels Blue or Black?

If any reader can help, they can email the team at info@goldenvalleyhobbies.com

The wagons are based on authentic liveries or inspired by the Brands who operated the locos. We think they'll prove popular with customers wanting to run branded wagons with the locos. They will appear as a 3 pack with different running numbers, and are applied to the popular Oxford Rail 7 plank wagon.

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

We are still encouraging pre-orders so we can estimate sales volumes and a more accurate split of tooling costs across the model production runs.
Customers can order via this link:
http://www.goldenvalleyhobbies.com/index.php?page=fromLibrary&guide=194

GVH Code Name SRP Trade Price Scale Release Date   Golden Valley Hobbies products         GV2012 NCB Janus 0-6-0 Diesel TBA TBA OO 2016 GV2013 British Steel No5 Janus 0-6-0 Diesel TBA TBA OO 2016 GV2014 BP Janus 0-6-0 Diesel Loco TBA TBA OO 2016 GV2015 Port of London No201 Janus 0-6-0 Diesel TBA TBA OO 2016 GV6012 3 pack NCB 7 plank open coal wagon TBA TBA OO 2016 GV6013 3 pack BSC 7 plank open mineral wagon TBA TBA OO 2016 GV6014 3 pack BP 7 plank open petrol can wagon TBA TBA OO 2016 GV6015 3 pack PLA 7 plank open mineral wagon TBA TBA OO 2016

All liveries are Draft - Subject to revision and approval.

• Like 2