Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

please tell me it isnt...

It looks like it but it's very smooth.

I've had the keeper plate off to look at the wheels and axles for EMing and it looks straightforward enough (I didn't fully remove the wheelsets as the keeper plate is wired up for the wiper contacts). The pig will be widening out the existing brake gear.

4.jpg

If it’s anything like the mechanism in the Oxford Adams Radial it should run beautifully and there are no bogies or radial trucks to cause bother either. I must admit that this is one I’m looking forward to. Did you get it put back together again, Andy? :)

It's had its top off more times than Katie Price. :)

Although I've had a chunter about a few points in the review mainly to do with livery, detail and decoration choices in the review I do like it.

The Golden Valley website has an update about the arrival of the NCB livery version of the Janus, advising that they have arrived at the UK port and are going through Customs/Port clearance. They are hoped to be with GV early next week, however there is a price rise unless you have pre ordered. I'm not sure how the price of my retailer pre order stands, but will see in the next week or so.

I'm not sure how the price of my retailer pre order stands, but will see in the next week or so.

Assuming your retailer had his order in with Golden Valley Hobbies in good time, items GV2012 and GV6012 will have the originally quoted price honoured by Golden Valley - they will absorb the increased cost of production and exchange rate differences.

All other releases, which will arrive in due course, will be at the higher price due to the increase in costs mentioned above.

An honourable gesture from Golden Valley for this first batch, to reward retailers for their confidence in placing advance orders for this model.

• RMweb Gold

If I remember correctly the order was placed with GVH directly and then a dealer selected to fulfill the order - in my case C&M Models. Does this constitute a pre-order?

My situation is complicated because of the freeserve email issue - I've given GVH my new email,  but neither old or new email is recognised by GVH's account login, despite getting confirmation from them that they had updated my details. I assume they will be emailing their pre-order customers to let them know either way?

An honourable gesture from Golden Valley for this first batch, to reward retailers for their confidence in placing advance orders for this model.

Well, some retailers anyway, if it's just the NCB ones(?). And in the meantime, I can't access my GVH account either, so who knows what if anything might turn up at my shop choice. Fingers crossed...

GV2015XS YEC Janus 0-6-0DE shunter No.201 in Port of London blue livery which is the DCC sound fitted version now has a RRP of £209.99. The Hattons estimated pre order price was £165.00 but now £179.00.

Edited by Martin_R

GV2015XS YEC Janus 0-6-0DE shunter No.201 in Port of London blue livery which is the DCC sound fitted version now has a RRP of £209.99. The Hattons estimated pre order price was £165.00 but now £179.00.

I have recieved an email, from Hattons, that informs me that the DCC sound-fitted version of the British Steel Scunthorpe loco that I had ordered has now increased in price to £209.95. I was enthusiastic about having the loco, RTR with sound for the original price but I'm not standing for having an extra 45 quid stuck on. I have cancelled the order.

I'll wait and see what these models are like when I can actually get to see one now and if they are any good I may still buy a DC version but if they're not up to scratch then I'll spend my money on a Judith Edge Janus kit instead.

Edited by Ruston

Email from Hattons clearly said pre-order prices being honoured up to today, all new pre-orders and actual sales once in stock at higher RRP based price

Not quite true the BSC ones have had the price increased but the NCB ones price has been honoured!

Mark Saunders

I have recieved an email, from Hattons, that informs me that the DCC sound-fitted version of the British Steel Scunthorpe loco that I had ordered has now increased in price to £209.95. I was enthusiastic about having the loco, RTR with sound for the original price but I'm not standing for having an extra 45 quid stuck on. I have cancelled the order.

I'll wait and see what these models are like when I can actually get to see one now and if they are any good I may still buy a DC version but if they're not up to scratch then I'll spend my money on a Judith Edge Janus kit instead.

Price (including my order) has gone up to £179. £209 is the RRP....

Not quite true the BSC ones have had the price increased but the NCB ones price has been honoured!

Mark Saunders

Ah yes now I've re-read both emails, there is that subtle difference I missed when first skim reading. I've only got the plain BSC one so £109 RRP means £93 cash price, still quite reasonable and my DCC sound NCB is definitely great value at £165