Revolution Trains - OO - TEA Tanker

Gerald Henriksen

Hello 159220,

The decals will comprise a black TOPS panel with white lettering, so they will obliterate the "old" number underneath, so no need to remove anything.

They will probably be rub down as then there is no problem with carrier film or cutting out, and varnishing is unnecessary unless you are very worried about damaging them.

Also, they will only cover the main TOPS panel.  There are tiny wagon repeater numbers on top next to the catwalk (6 per wagon!) but I don't think it's worth doing these, especially as anyone keen enough to renumber the models is also likely to be the kind of modeller who will want to weather them anyway.

But as I say, they will only happen if we feel there is enough of a market.

cheers

Ben A.

That is an utterly fantastic idea, sounds wonderfully simple way to renumber. I always fear renumbering in case damage is done to the model and then the varnish which makes you dizzy!

There is an elegant design in the transfers naturally fitting over the TOPS panel, and simply being rubbed into place.

Certainly hope these are in-demand, surely a potential after sales market with this clever design to renumber.

Makes me want to increase my orders now.

Thank you very much, we need more innovation like this in the industry!

• RMweb Gold

There is an elegant design in the transfers naturally fitting over the TOPS panel, and simply being rubbed into place.

Certainly hope these are in-demand, surely a potential after sales market with this clever design to renumber.

I think that an after sales product is the most likely solution, but leave it with us and we will see what is possible. I'm not sure that Ben and I want to be stuffing boxes with transfers as well as sending out all the wagons when they arrive!

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Sorry if mentioned and I missed it but is it payment on ordering or is payment taken when sent for delivery?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

You can either pay a deposit to secure your models, or pay in full if it suits your budgeting.

The reason for this is that the crowdfunding requires cash up front to pay for each stage of the process.

If you pay a deposit now you will be charged the balance when your models are produced.

We are at York this weekend sharing a stand with Rapido so OO modellers can come and have a look at the N Gauge TEA models to get an idea of what they'll be getting, and take a closer look at CAD drawings, and ask us questions about specifications, schedules etc.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hmmm, okay, I am unable to see an answer to this question in the FAQ, so apologies if it is covered and I missed it, but...

If I place my order now at the current 'Earlybird' price and choose to pay only a 50% deposit, will the remaining balance be billed in line with the 'Earlybird' rate too?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hmmm, okay, I am unable to see an answer to this question in the FAQ, so apologies if it is covered and I missed it, but...

If I place my order now at the current 'Earlybird' price and choose to pay only a 50% deposit, will the remaining balance be billed in line with the 'Earlybird' rate too?

thanks

Correct - if you order before the end of June you will get the early bird price regardless of whether you pay the full amount or a deposit.

Cheers, Mike

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if these prove to be popular whether there would be any consideration of producing other liveries? For example the plain red 'Murco' and the blue,white and red 'Murco' tank wagons? Be lovely to replicate a near scale length Murco train. I know Hornby have produced these 2 liveries in the past but the level of detail isn't a patch on what these fine TEA's will be.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Shoey,

As far as I am aware the wagons we are doing have never been painted in Murco livery.

These ones: https://flic.kr/p/p8PNRA look simlar but were built by Arbel, not Greenbrier, and have significant differences around the shape of the barrel (oblate), the saddles, headstocks and brake gear.

In this image the first two wagons are Murco types, the third is the one we are doing.  You can see the difference in barrel and saddle shapes: https://flic.kr/p/rejeg9

This is a better view of the type we are doing running in a Murco train. The spotting points are the red livery with blue VTG lettering: https://flic.kr/p/vgLw2m

So a question to forum members:  Would a compromise "Murco" model be acceptable?  If we could get together 100 or so orders we could probably add it to the list... as long as everyone understands the errors!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for those pictures. I'd certainly be open to compromise. I'm interested to see how many others on here too would do the same.

I'm just about to place an order for 12 red VTG wagons. Hopefully be able to have Murco wagons to run in rake with these!

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Cheers

Shoey.

These seem to be getting further into fiction territory. I can ignore the fictional liveries, but the buffers were significant. At these prices I do not want to retrofit and would rather have had a slightly more pricey original.

So like some of the funding 'dragons' often say...."I am out".

• RMweb Gold

Hi Shreds,

I'm not sure what you mean about buffers.

The Arbel-built Murco wagons that were being discussed have significantly different bodies and other details that are far more obvious than any difference in the buffers.

At the moment it's just a scoping exercise - we haven't put up the option for ordering fictional Murco liveried versions on our website, it was just part of a discussion to assess demands. All the liveries we are currently offering are accurate.

Unless you're referring back to the issue around sprung buffers? Earlier in the thread it was pointed out that the skeletal design of bufferbeam on the prototype precluded their use.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

I can imagine it being a difficult choice for any manufacturer as whether to apply sprung buffers to wagons or not. With it adding an X amount of money to each wagon you'll have that difficult choice whether to add them or not. I may be wrong here but I doubt there will be many modellers out there that'll have layouts/curves to accomodate wagons that do have close couplings with srung buffers. Therefore this 'feature' only being disired by a minority. I, unfortunatly for some, would opt for a cheaper wagon leaving room for modifications at a later date. If all manufacturers completed every wagon to a prototypical standard surely certain smaller companies that supply etched/finer detailing parts would go out of business...?

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Sprung buffers would add about £10 per wagon. And this post explains visually why it would be awkward to fit sprung buffers to the model without compromising the detail:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105524-revolution-trains-oo-tea-tanker/?p=2233895

Subsequent posts gave us the clear message that, modellers preferred to keep the fidelity of the skeletal bufferbeam and save £10 into the bargain.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I wonder How the orders are going for the Tea Tankers?

Hi there,

They are going OK, but we are expecting a bit of a surge when we get to the EarlyBird deadline at the end of June, when the price per wagon goes up.  After that the wagons will still be available to order until we are ready for production.

CADs have been finalised and approved and tooling has been authorised; at the moment we are in the "hurry up and wait" stage while they are cutting the moulds and the next stage should be unpainted samples, maybe in another couple of months or so.

Once the samples are approved the further development should not take long; the models will be the same liveries as the N gauge versions so the factory will already know what colours/markings are required.

This is something we have had to be quite painstaking about on the N Gauge ones to ensure the production models are correct for the combinations of livery colours/logos/detail variations.  For example, the wagons have different brake gear, different catwalks and a different arrangement of roof hatches depending on which batch they represent.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

Hi Shoey,

As far as I am aware the wagons we are doing have never been painted in Murco livery.

These ones: https://flic.kr/p/p8PNRA look simlar but were built by Arbel, not Greenbrier, and have significant differences around the shape of the barrel (oblate), the saddles, headstocks and brake gear.

In this image the first two wagons are Murco types, the third is the one we are doing.  You can see the difference in barrel and saddle shapes: https://flic.kr/p/rejeg9

This is a better view of the type we are doing running in a Murco train. The spotting points are the red livery with blue VTG lettering: https://flic.kr/p/vgLw2m

So a question to forum members:  Would a compromise "Murco" model be acceptable?  If we could get together 100 or so orders we could probably add it to the list... as long as everyone understands the errors!

cheers

Ben A.

Responding rather belatedly, I’m inclined to think that putting an inaccurate livery on these wagons would be a bad move, especially considering all the trouble being taken to produce accurate models.

You could always produce a new tooling. :angel:

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The tooling for the OO TEA tankers is now almost complete.

Here is a shot of the main tank mould, showing the inserts that will, when the tool is forced together and the plastic is injected, form the top (with three hatches/vents etc) and one side of the barrel.

post-420-0-80895900-1464822357_thumb.jpg

This half forms the outer face of the end caps.

post-420-0-20863000-1464822378_thumb.jpg

Sadly we won't receive any mouldings in time for the DEMU showcase this weekend, however we don't think it will be too long before test samples arrive. Remember, the deadline for the EarlyBird discount on these models is the end of this month.

More details on this and other projects are in Rapido's latest UK newsletter which can be viewed here.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 2