A trip to Canada

• RMweb Premium

And if all else fails when in Vancouver you could always have a look at some real trains! Have a browse through this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41022-occasional-canadian-photos-mostly-from-vancouver-area/

He lives there so he knows :declare:

I bookmarked his thread as I'm hoping to visit Vancouver before too long. Only got as far as Victoria this year.

David

• RMweb Premium

And if all else fails when in Vancouver you could always have a look at some real trains! Have a browse through this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41022-occasional-canadian-photos-mostly-from-vancouver-area/

He lives there so he knows :declare:

I bookmarked his thread as I'm hoping to visit Vancouver before too long. Only got as far as Victoria this year.

David

I have just had a quick squint and the link looks very interesting, I will give it a better look later. It's looking like it will be a jam packed trip.

Don't go looking for the Model railway and model boat museum on Granville Island, its long gone.

If you want to see trains then you may have to take the trouble to go looking for them or be patient. I frequently use a footpath that runs alongside some of the tracks (CN I think) that go into Vancouver, from Gilmour Skytrain station to Renfrew After several casual walks over the years taking about an hour each time I have only ever had 1 train go past me, and that was 3 BNSF running light.

You may hear statements such as 'Vancouver is such a busy port a train arrives every 15 minutes' What they don't say is that there are 2 different tracks into the downtown port. Add to that Vancouver port covers a very large area along the Fraser river. You could hang around in New Westminster for several hours and only see one train or you could see several. On the other side of the river in Surrey opposite New Westminster is where the BNSF line splits. One continues up into the yards further up the river. The other goes over the river and could turn left into New Westminster yards or they could turn right up to Sapperton yards or on to Downtown.There is a small park down by the river where you can get a good view of the bridge with the other track just behind. I once spent 3 hours in that park and in that time I only saw 2 trains go over the bridge 1 BNSF and 1 CN and 1 on the other track. That one was worth it tho' 2 BNSF locos  and a UP loco.

post-10637-0-19053500-1449015268_thumb.jpgpost-10637-0-63964900-1449015286_thumb.jpg

It costs an arm and a leg, but if you're going to Canada the journey you have to do is Via's Canadian.

The Rockies scenery is fantastic as is the Lake Country in Ontario. Be prepared to add half a day or so for delays.....but you get to watch all sorts of freight roll by as you invariably get held in loops for them!

Stops for crew changes/fuelling etc in places like Kamloops allow you to see freights close up and of course you have the experience of travelling on the last remaining streamliner sets in use on North America's railroads withtheir fifties vintage cars including a couple of dome ones.

For first time visitors a thing to remember is that when paying the bill in restaurants etc add a minimum 15% to it as a tip. Otherwise you will be considered just another tight Brit. They do not do tips by leaving cash on the table.

To be honest I do not have a problem with that as the food is generallly very good and the service good and pleasant unlike some of the miserable sods that serve you in this country.

I've only once had a poor meal in Greater Vancouver and that was at an American place. They did not get 15% and were told why.

If you have time in Toronto have an evening meal in the CN tower the view is amazing.

Eating in Vancouver, to many places to mention. Plenty of  small private places but even the big chains like The Cactus Club and White Spot are good.

One tip I was given by a Chinese resident was don't eat in a Chinese restuarant unless half or over of the customers are Chinese.

Also if its your first visit just like the USA tax (VAT to us) is not included in the displayed price. I think currently in BC its 12 or 13% so remember to factor that in when shoping.

• RMweb Gold

If you are flying direct to or from Vancouver out of London something to be aware of.

Most Air Canada flights are good. However the Boeing 777W 's on this route have an extra line of seats which makes the seats and aisles narrower. Further more with the entertainment system and now out of line seat brackets  you get next to no room to put your feet let alone a carry on bag. This in turn means that on top of the extra passengers trying to use the overhead lockers most passengers are now having to put their small bags in those aswell.

We also had the food and drinks trolleys bashing into us due to the narrow aisles which is not good over such a long flight. I gather that Air Transat is similar.

So watch out for those 777W's when looking up airfares and plane types. Other airlines also use them so we avoid them like the plague unless you are going upper class (which I cant comment on).

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the useful info and can any of you please tell me what the various levels of accommodation equate to on the trains, I have had a look on the Via website, but so far have not been able to track down the info.

Another thing I have found a little strange is that the East bound train from Montreal to Halifax is a through train, but on the Westbound train you get chucked off at some ungodly hour and have to wait for nearly an hour before the train through to Montreal turns up.

The itinerary is slowly coming together, thanks to your collective efforts.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

They must have changed the Ocean schedule since last year as it was a through train to Montreal.

You are best in a sleeper than seats but it will be quite a bit dearer especially in the height of summer when they can restrict the dome car use to higher paying passengers

My tipping rate across Canada is 10 to 20% and I would say that is the norm.  On occasion I have left 1c now of course 5c.  Pretty well all AC and Westjet peasant class services are now minimal with most having an extra row resulting in less leg room although on Westjet (probably AC but I don't know) you can often prebook a seat with extra leg room for a fee.  Also pretty well every service is now fee based including even a single bag check-in.  I will refrain from any comments

Thanks for the useful info and can any of you please tell me what the various levels of accommodation equate to on the trains, I have had a look on the Via website, but so far have not been able to track down the info.

Another thing I have found a little strange is that the East bound train from Montreal to Halifax is a through train, but on the Westbound train you get chucked off at some ungodly hour and have to wait for nearly an hour before the train through to Montreal turns up.

The itinerary is slowly coming together, thanks to your collective efforts.

Cheers

Not quite sure where you found that but as far as I can tell the Ocean is a single train in both directions.

http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/schedules/november2015/30-31_Halifax-Montreal_Gaspe-Montreal.pdf

As for the trains themselves, you will need to do a bit of looking around as the equipment used varies.  The biggest difference from the UK though is that VIA does not allow standing passengers, VIA is entirely assigned seating, so any tickets you book are specific to that service.

The Toronto - Montreal service is using LRC cars, and your choice there is standard class or business class.

The Ocean uses the old Nightstar stock and as such is much smaller than the other equipment VIA uses (economy class is 2 x 1 seating):

http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains/atlantic-canada/montreal-halifax-ocean

If you explore the tabs on that page you can see descriptions, layout diagrams, pictures of the interiors, etc.

This link gets you the description of the corridor service between Toronto and Montreal:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains/ontario-and-quebec/toronto-montreal

The Canadian (Toronto - Vancouver) gets you the classic budd equipment:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains/rockies-and-pacific/toronto-vancouver-canadian

Again tabs on the page allow you to explore various details of the service.

• RMweb Premium

Not quite sure where you found that but as far as I can tell the Ocean is a single train in both directions.

I found it when I went on the booking page, I had selected the outbound train and then it move to the return page and select the accomodation, it then comes up with the train details and price, I have not yet booked anything as yet. I can't do that until I have seen my sometime travelling companion.

http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/schedules/november2015/30-31_Halifax-Montreal_Gaspe-Montreal.pdf

As for the trains themselves, you will need to do a bit of looking around as the equipment used varies.  The biggest difference from the UK though is that VIA does not allow standing passengers, VIA is entirely assigned seating, so any tickets you book are specific to that service.

The Toronto - Montreal service is using LRC cars, and your choice there is standard class or business class.

The Ocean uses the old Nightstar stock and as such is much smaller than the other equipment VIA uses (economy class is 2 x 1 seating):

http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains/atlantic-canada/montreal-halifax-ocean

If you explore the tabs on that page you can see descriptions, layout diagrams, pictures of the interiors, etc.

This link gets you the description of the corridor service between Toronto and Montreal:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains/ontario-and-quebec/toronto-montreal

The Canadian (Toronto - Vancouver) gets you the classic budd equipment:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains/rockies-and-pacific/toronto-vancouver-canadian

Again tabs on the page allow you to explore various details of the service.

Thanks for the other info.

My favourite place in Canada is Banff (but I've not been every where in that huge country).  Least favourite Quebec where not speaking French is almost a criminal offence!  In Banff put on your walking boots and go for a walk along the Bow River,  once you are 200 or so yards from Banff Avenue and the shops the crowds disappear and you can have a peaceful walk in stunning scenery.  If you are more energetic, try the Vermilion Lakes or Sundance Canyon they also are beautiful places  -though there isn't a train in sight!  I'm only sad that as a slightly rickety 82 year old I can't stand the flights anymore,  I'd love to travel first class but unless I win the lottery...... 

I did see an elderly steam loco on display  in Jasper Alberta which has a lot of railway lines as I remember it.

If you go in summer take plenty of mosquito repellent,  the flying tigers bit me through my polo shirt!

Least favourite Quebec where not speaking French is almost a criminal offence!

That depends a lot on where you are in Quebec. In downtown Montreal it is quite possible to get by with English only (although knowing a bit of French helps). A lot of the conversations you hear on the street are in English. The Gaspe peninsula also has a large English-speaking population, as do the Eastern Townships (south-east of Montreal).

However, once you get up into the Quebec City area or inland from the Ottawa valley French becomes more necessary.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

That depends a lot on where you are in Quebec. In downtown Montreal it is quite possible to get by with English only (although knowing a bit of French helps). A lot of the conversations you hear on the street are in English. The Gaspe peninsula also has a large English-speaking population, as do the Eastern Townships (south-east of Montreal).

However, once you get up into the Quebec City area or inland from the Ottawa valley French becomes more necessary.

Adrian

Even Subway in Quebec City had only a French menu!

However I could find my way round the brewpub beer lists!

• RMweb Premium

That depends a lot on where you are in Quebec. In downtown Montreal it is quite possible to get by with English only (although knowing a bit of French helps). A lot of the conversations you hear on the street are in English. The Gaspe peninsula also has a large English-speaking population, as do the Eastern Townships (south-east of Montreal).However, once you get up into the Quebec City area or inland from the Ottawa valley French becomes more necessary.Adrian

I can speak a little bit of school boy french and a little bit which is not repeatable on here even if I new how to spell it in french, but I do believe that more than four letters are involved.

French Canada can be a bit bloody minded when it comes to English.  My linguistic abilities  come from schooldays also but I try.  When you get little response it can get annoying especially when a lot, especially the younger generation, can obviously understand English.  As most of the tourists come from the USA where very few speak any foreign language, the Quebecers are only giving the place a bad reputation.

Brian.

Adrian

I lived near Quebec City for a couple of years. I found that just having a poke at speaking French usually resulted in a smile and a response in English. Montreal was a stew of Franglais though. I did OK after a while, though my French was learned at an Army base, so was probably more "colourful" than average. I wasn't allowed to leave 'till I could utter "maudits anglais" with the appropriate Lac St Jean accent.

My tipping rate across Canada is 10 to 20% and I would say that is the norm.  On occasion I have left 1c now of course 5c.  Pretty well all AC and Westjet peasant class services are now minimal with most having an extra row resulting in less leg room although on Westjet (probably AC but I don't know) you can often prebook a seat with extra leg room for a fee.  Also pretty well every service is now fee based including even a single bag check-in.  I will refrain from any comments

The tipping range now is 15 to 20% with at least 18% if the service is good and you'd like to go back to that restaurant. A trend towards no tipping is emerging, the service is included in the bill. This is the rare exception rather than the rule.

On Air Canada look for either Premium Economy or Preferred Seating. The former is available on overseas flights and the latter on North American flights. PE offers a larger seat, upgraded meals and some other amenities. It's not unlike the way economy was 20 years ago. It's not available on all flights though. PS offers more leg room. Both are located at the front of the economy cabin so you don't have to wait until the next day to disembark. Baggage fees depend on your fare class except on flights to/from the US where they are charged regardless. The usual fee is $25/bag each direction.

I can't speak to WestJet. I find AC to be the more comfortable, which is not saying a great deal. I fly a lot.

Another train ride to check out is the Rocky Mountaineer between Calgary/Banff and Vancouver on the original route of the Canadian through the Spiral Tunnels. This must be one of the most spectacular routes in the world.

Cheers

Malcolm Turner

Calgary, Alberta

• RMweb Premium

Just a note: Banff and Calgary are not on the regular VIA route. (or even irregular).  They are on the Rocky Mountaineer which is like the Royal Scotsman -- a "land cruise".

What will come in very handy is the Canadian Trackside Guide. A new one is published every spring. The only thing missing is a listing of freight cars.

• RMweb Gold

I have to say, I'm not a keen fan of Banff restaurants (The Keg was good), but the town itself it impressive, and as was said, the scenery is amazing. If you're driving, the drive through Banff national park and Yoho (adjacent in BC) is astounding. I haven't been yet, but I'm told that the railway museum in Squamish, north of Vancouver is supposed to be really good.

If you hire a car at any point, familiarise yourself with four-way junctions, whatever you do, don't park on the wrong side of the road (I found this out very quickly after I moved here), and have your driving license on you every time you drive.

...and if you do get to Vancouver and have a bit of time, give me a shout and I'll pop over to say hi.

I hope you have a wonderful time over here.

• RMweb Premium

I lived near Quebec City for a couple of years. I found that just having a poke at speaking French usually resulted in a smile and a response in English. Montreal was a stew of Franglais though. I did OK after a while, though my French was learned at an Army base, so was probably more "colourful" than average. I wasn't allowed to leave 'till I could utter "maudits anglais" with the appropriate Lac St Jean accent.

If they kick up too much I will get General Wolfe back to sort 'em out, I find that in France if you mention the Boche they soon quieten down, as Jonesy would say "they don't like it up 'em".

Further to my previous remark about the French Canadians, it was in Quebec where we found a solid 'non' when we asked if they spoke English, in a big restaurant they had to find the English speaker who could take our order - all with a pretty surly attitude.  In Alberta our coach driver was French Canadian but spoke perfect Canadian English  - he disliked the Quebecois attitude; as he said, it made them unemployable outside Quebec.  My father was working in Montreal for some months during the war and he did say that the Anglophones tended to treat the Frenchies as subhumans, that may explain some things. But I understand that they speak a kind of French which is not like the European version. 

Archived