Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

I think this must have set the new benchmark for everything else to be compared to.

I particularly notice the way the body seems to 'sit' on the bogies in seemingly prototypical manner rather than looking like the bogies are hanging from the body/chassis as with most models.

If it is true that this is the first loco to be offered RTR in P4 or EM then it is pretty well guaranteed to be well supported by the members of S4 and EMGS. A good move I think.

If it is true that this is the first loco to be offered RTR in P4 or EM then it is pretty well guaranteed to be well supported by the members of S4 and EMGS. A good move I think.

It is true, I 'think' it's £20 extra to have one with P4 0r EM wheels. 

• Like 1

The thing that struck me the most was I went expecting to hear of a limited edition or new model to be released in 12 months but no. No CAD drawings to see no money up front for development but the loco was there finished ready to take away today. The non sound version has been in the country since October.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The thing that struck me the most was I went expecting to hear of a limited edition or new model to be released in 12 months but no. No CAD drawings to see no money up front for development but the loco was there finished ready to take away today. The non sound version has been in the country since October.

sometimes, less is more

well done to all involved, makes a refreshing change from all the frothing that eminates from other companies showing a silhouette, part of a cad drawing, a loco in the background of a video etc, i think most could say they didnt see this coming

admittedly its not something i'd buy as its not my era (or indeed i dont remember class 24s) but it is stunning

Can someone post both the Facebook link and a  current website - I couldn't find any mention on the link provided above? Thanks in advance..

The Facebook link was just to photos I posted the same as here and there is no specific website yet as the model was only launched this weekend and has been a secret. I expect it will appear on the website soon as the 24's go on general sale mid December.

The chassis block already has cut outs which will allow engine room detail and engine room lights to be visible through the bodyside windows.

See the 'cutouts' on the block for a future class 25 exactly where the windows will be.

post-7968-0-62295100-1448829004_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

24/1 then a 25 I think. The chassis block already has cut outs which will allow engine room detail and engine room lights to be visible through the bodyside windows.

Oh I do hope a 24/1 follows soonish, i've grown tired of waiting for Bachmanns version! But looking at the photos of the 24/0 I think I may as well forget the Bachy one and just save a little extra for these! It looks stunning. Even though i'm a BR Blue man are any close up photos of the green one?

I think this must have set the new benchmark for everything else to be compared to.

I particularly notice the way the body seems to 'sit' on the bogies in seemingly prototypical manner rather than looking like the bogies are hanging from the body/chassis as with most models.

Well not all it seems.

At least one "expert" has issues?

Some never seem happy sadly...

• Like 2

Evenin' all,

Just returned from a great day with Phil and the Barrowmore boys....couldn't resist a D5000 in green with the light bodyside band. Superb bar raising model....thoroughly enjoyed playing with the sound and inertia features on Mostyn....if you want accurate Sulzer type 2s 'off the peg' then you'd better start looking for Phil's phone number and email address.

http://www.sulzertype2.com/

Excellent day

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all,

Just returned from a great day with Phil and the Barrowmore boys....couldn't resist a D5000 in green with the light bodyside band. Superb bar raising model....thoroughly enjoyed playing with the sound and inertia features on Mostyn....if you want accurate Sulzer type 2s 'off the peg' then you'd better start looking for Phil's phone number and email address.

Excellent day

Dave

Hi Dave

Was it a good do, Phil invited me, but work got in the way. I would have been on my way home with a green one......Phil has a e-mail waiting for him.

Hi Iak

Yes, I did see it and was a little taken back by it.

I greatly respect that chap for his opinions and abilities; clearly there is something about it that he doesn't like. But the overwhelming opinion seems to be positive.

That said, I think we all have one or more classes that we want to see 100% right and even the slightest 'error' sticks out like a sore thumb. I remember how disappointed I was when I saw Hornby's new HST for example, and yet a Lima 37 looks right to me.

I shall certainly be relieving them of at least one 24- even if it is only to support the decision to use full gauge rather than narrow gauge wheels.

Well not all it seems.

Hi Dave

Was it a good do, Phil invited me, but work got in the way. I would have been on my way home with a green one......Phil has a e-mail waiting for him.

....spent most of the day operating Mostyn Clive...or else instructing visitors on its operation....I'm probably biased but can't think of how to better an interactive launch day experience for potential customers.

Dave

Well not all it seems.

....so called experts who want their views taken seriously need to objectively review all of the correct dimensions and features incorporated in these models before they start whining about the negligable.

This is easily the best RTR type 2 ever produced and may yet turn out to be the most accurate RTR model so far

post-7795-0-49898200-1448834933.jpg

post-7795-0-27290900-1448834979.jpg

post-7795-0-30971500-1448835014.jpg

post-7795-0-93047900-1448835051.jpg

post-7795-0-95216500-1448835102.jpg

post-7795-0-26595000-1448835150.jpg

The locos fitted with Athermos axleboxes even have those beautifully modelled....you can even read the lettering on cab bulkhead notices if you're small enough to get in the cab.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 9

Rail Exclusives usually have someone else actually manufacture the models, so that was what I was asking. Do they have their own plant now?

(p.s. I am at work. I can get away with looking at RMweb but I have to be careful looking at anything too obviously 'not work'! I will ahve a look at Rail Exclusive's site this evening when I get home.)

Rail Exclusives usually have someone else actually manufacture the models, so that was what I was asking. Do they have their own plant now?

Made by a factory in China that doesn't do any other UK models. Nothing about the class 24 on the website yet.

• RMweb Gold

i asked the same question on the first page, interesting if they have produced it completly 'in house'

as for the website, at time of writing its not been updated for months, i must admit i thought that "rail exclusive" had quietly dissapeared off the scene, obviously not

EDIT: post crossed with nick's

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1