Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

....no frothing....no vapourware....no press....no publicity....no waiting....no empty promises....just 100% superb models Jim.

You may need Phil's phone number/email address.

http://www.sulzertype2.com/

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

....no frothing....no vapourware....no press....no publicity....no waiting....no empty promises....just 100% superb models Jim.

You may need Phil's phone number/email address.

Dave

totally agree, again, as i put on the first page a refreshing change

(and no one has moaned about duplication of a Bachmann model yet either)

• RMweb Gold

I had a Bachmann 24/1 on preorder - think I may cancel that one if rail exclusive are gonna model it ..........

Wonder if Bachmann will abandon the project now ? Might make sense then they can concentrate on something else like the class 90 or the mk2f ?..x

....the moment that Phil has sold these he moves onto the next and I can't see these hanging around for long....

.....there was already another green livery variant on display....

post-7795-0-60552300-1448839599.jpg

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 7

....see above picture.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

John

Hi John

Can i ask what the difference is with the Tyne/Consett ones?

Thanks

What Dave said.

My 'magnum opus' is part of the Tyne Dock - Consett line and 24s form a large part of the required motive power...

John

WAY TO GO !

I'm not a particular fan of the class 24 but I love the whole concept behind it and think I might be buying one anyway. The cost difference compared to "normal" models is about right and I for one am happy to pay the difference for this kind of fidelity.

It's also great that it has been designed with sound in mind from the start.

More power to your elbows guys.

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 1

The manufactures are SLW (Sutton's Locomotive Works) a new manufacturer to the world of model railways. The 24s have been built to an extremely high spec with a vast amount of detail never seen on a RTR loco before. Working in conjunction with Paul Chetter the sound and control via DCC is perfect with full contol over sound and movement.

I was lucky enough to be able to purchase a sound one today, Philip sat down with me and installed the chip and speakers there and then for me to take away.

I also was privileged to be asked to the launch. Talk about having your gob smacked!

Make no mistake, this 24 is a country mile ahead of any of it's competitors - one of the little pieces of info i picked up was that there are more components in one of these 24's bogies than the whole of the Bachmann model put together. It is simply stunning. Couple this together with Paul Chetter's expertise in the sound department makes this a complete winner all the way.

Paul was there at the launch and very patiently answered all my innocent and newbie to DCC sound questions with applomb. This loco sounds, runs and is a complete joy to play with. ( BTW, they have managed to get TWO speakers into this loco )

A huge thank you to Phil and my sincerest good wishes for the future. Here we have at last, someone who is championing the D+E modeller with a superlative model and all for a price, which quite honestly, is a steal for what you get.

Don't think that my limited vocabulary will allow me to amke any more plaudits.

Just one more piece of information, people have asked for a website, here's the link:   http://sulzertype2.com/

Just take a look at those droolworthy photo's..............

cheers

Andy

• Like 3

Apologies Derek, you're right, I'll stop gushing now.......

Seriously though, for a long time I've been in the camp of D+E modellers should be getting quality models and now we've got one - Christmas has come early, not just for this ground breaking loco, but also the fact that we now have a serious contender in Suttons Locomotive Works. I think that this just goes to prove that if the product is there, then people will buy it - just as long as the product matches the price tag, well this product more than outmatches what SLW are asking in price.

cheers

Andy

I totally agree, Andy.

This- as I said earlier- is the new benchmark.

As for the complaints about the grills (and I hasten to add that I do respect the person making that complaint, even if on this occasion I do not agree)- well, having just seen one of Dave's photos of the main grill just behind the cab door- that has not only a fine grill but depth behind it too.

I hope the people behind this get the support with high sales and not only will they make some profit but hopefully we'll get future classes. The same applies to Realtrack with their Pacers and the Rapido releases.

....see above picture.

Yep, D5107 was one of the batch of Class 24 converted with additional compressors and pipework for operating the Consett/Tyne Dock iron ore hoppers but they had been fitted with boiler room blanking panels well before the conversions were carried out. Also unlike the early Derby built 24's non of them carried the two additional roof cut outs associated with the steam heat boiler at the number two end as shown in the photograph above, and by the time the conversions started, the trademark Darlington polished air intakes had oxidised back to a dark grey/black colour with just the odd hint of silver on the raised sections adjacent to the rubber seals.

Just an observation but as no doubt this is a premium product for which a premium price will probably be asked, I'm sure the backers/promoters would like to get it correct.

If it's a photograph of a pre-production version of a Consett/Tyne Dock Sulzer Two and producion runs will have this slips corrected then I apologise for sticking my neb in.

Regardless it looks to be setting new RTR standards. 

P

Ps. As an aside some class24/1and 25/1 were also converted to operate the Iron Ore hoppers.

Edited by Porcy Mane