Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Gold

Interesting times. The model is indeed a game changer, and a good example of a disruptive product (where disruptive is being positive of course). I'm sure Bachmann, Heljan, Dapol and Hornby are watching this very carefully. I had ordered the RE class 33/0, and agree that if they'd gone head to head with Heljan my money would have gone to RE.

In all probabilities a fleet of sulzer type 2s will be emerging in the future from the same stable, and the other game changer is that we won't know about them until they're ready to buy. The days of announcing a model years in advance of production to lay claim to a particular prototype may have gone.

This is for me the best news to emerge this month, and although delighted regarding the Hornby coke wagons and Rapido/Locomotion HST-P, the class 24 tooling heralds the arrival of higher priced but higher spec British RTR of the type that our European and North American colleagues have enjoyed for many years.

Congratulations to Phil Sutton and the team, I now regret not going to the launch.

Neil

I must say that looks wonderful... So Sutton Loco Works is a new brand then? I'd love to see them do a Class 86 and Class 87. Since I'm sure it's aimed at a niche market of collectors who love fully detailed and fully functional models, an electric with proper sound, detail and DCC operating pantos will be ace!

Mornin' all,

One correction to my previous posts is that the D5107 model is not a production version....it shows what should happen if sales go well. There are some of the individual features of this sub-class included but not all.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

.....one or two extra images from the launch.....the new additions on the Mostyn dock branch.....one of the new 24s meets an unlikely visitor to the area, a Dapol 52 riding on the prototype set of Ultrascale P4 wheelsets..  visitors were welcomed into the Mostyn operating area to learn more about this superb layout.... 

post-7795-0-09367900-1448866504.jpg

post-7795-0-21111200-1448866551.jpg

post-7795-0-22254600-1448866609.jpg

Dave

• Like 5

....and there is only a limited number of any one variant....once they're sold Phil will move onto the next and the next inc. sub classes.

Dave

I'm sorry...but I'm actually still in shock with the price!!! How many models were made? What all liveries has he got?

And in reply to your post quoted, that's the best strategy adopted by a manufacturer. I hope Phil does a Class 86 or Class 87 sometime.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

I'm sorry...but I'm actually still in shock with the price!!! How many models were made? What all liveries has he got?

And in reply to your post quoted, that's the best strategy adopted by a manufacturer. I hope Phil does a Class 86 or Class 87 sometime.

....less than 1000 of D5000/24081 and yes he would like to cover most of the livery variants/sub classes.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to www.sulzertype2.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Anybody else had this?

Just being cautious...

Yes I had a warning about it, so left it alone.

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to www.sulzertype2.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Anybody else had this?

Just being cautious...

I did too.... :) But I proceeded anyway.

Edited by MGR Hooper!