Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Gold

I know I'm playing with fire here but will the model have an NEM or other way of attaching a Kadee wthout butchery - at least at one end? - not everyone's bag I know but I use KDs on my exhibiton layout and would love to have one of these locos.

Chris

I know I'm playing with fire here but will the model have an NEM or other way of attaching a Kadee wthout butchery - at least at one end? - not everyone's bag I know but I use KDs on my exhibiton layout and would love to have one of these locos.

Chris

TBH I actually cannot see a NEM pocket. Good question...

• RMweb Premium

Wow. What can I say guys. Most people on here will know me from my whinging on about high prices, particularly with regards Bachmann. It's not always going for the lowest price it's about Value for Money .But from what I've seen so far , this blows me away completely. And £160 for the DC model of such a high standard (museum standard!)I regard as definitely Value For Money.

That an enthusiast has put his money where his mouth is and developed such a stunning model, hand assembled for £160 is truly astounding. I take my hat off to Phil. That he has developed it in secret and announced it when he has something to sell is refreshing to say the least.

It's hard not to draw comparisons to organisations that announce something or announce they will make an announcement generating piles of froth for what seems like years. And if an organisation can deliver a hand assembled model at £160 , which is a slight premium, isn't it hard to avoid the conclusion that mass produced models are over priced? However that's an argument for another thread. I love to see how the Model Railway media will approach this, particularly given Phils introductory letter shown above. Cat among the pigeons springs to mind!

Meanwhile congratulations to SLW who have stolen the headlines at this Warley weekend. Truly exciting and refreshing news.

I would like to see a list of models available , prices (I'm only DC) and what functionality you get , if any, with just DC. Back and front lights?Will sound work at all on DC?So far I'm not seeing a presentation showing that, although it may be me being dense!

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

TBH I actually cannot see a NEM pocket. Good question...

I think post #34 may allay our concerns - a Rat expert of my acquaintance has pointed out to me that the chassis photo shows a great big tension lock plugged in to something!

Chris

• Like 1

Wow. What can I say guys. Most people on here will know me from my whinging on about high prices, particularly with regards Bachmann. It's not always going for the lowest price it's about Value for Money .But from what I've seen so far , this blows me away completely. And £160 for the DC model of such a high standard (museum standard!)I regard as definitely Value For Money.

That an enthusiast has put his money where his mouth is and developed such a stunning model, hand assembled for £160 is truly astounding. I take my hat off to Phil. That he has developed it in secret and announced it when he has something to sell is refreshing to say the least.

It's hard not to draw comparisons to organisations that announce something or announce they will make an announcement generating piles of froth for what seems like years. And if an organisation can deliver a hand assembled model at £160 , which is a slight premium, isn't it hard to avoid the conclusion that mass produced models are over priced? However that's an argument for another thread. I love to see how the Model Railway media will approach this, particularly given Phils introductory letter shown above. Cat among the pigeons springs to mind!

Meanwhile congratulations to SLW who have stolen the headlines at this Warley weekend. Truly exciting and refreshing news.

I would like to see a list of models available , prices (I'm only DC) and what functionality you get , if any, with just DC. Back and front lights?Will sound work at all on DC?So far I'm not seeing a presentation showing that, although it may be me being dense!

....stolen the headlines from Warley might be more accurate....Phil's launch was a private invited guests only event in Tarporley.

post-7795-0-33034100-1448877546.jpg

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

I think the phrase 'value for money' is spot on, definitely so in this case.

To me, £160 for a model of this quality is excellent value, my very best to this new venture, it certainly deserves to,succeed and I for one can't wait for the 25's to be released.

From what I recall at the presentation, the DC version gets the sounds but on a reduced functionality of course ( I'm DCC so didnt pay much attention to that bit ). I'm sure if you give Phil or Jamie a tinkle, they'll let you know.

cheers

Andy

I think thet other point that needs a bit more exposure, is that this is the first RTR model that can be provided to the customer in either OO, EM or P4. I sat with Phil whilst he 'converted' a OO version into P4 - an extremely simple procedure as the wheelsets are held in place by a four point clip - it was completed in a matter of minutes,however, if you stipulate which wheelsets you want in the model it will be delivered to you in that form.

Again, it just goes to show how much thought has gone into this model so that this can be done.

cheers

Andy

• Like 3

I was also lucky enough to go to the launch. Although the new Mostyn would have been the star in most circumstances it was overshadowed, massively by Phils new venture. Full marks to him for launching the enterprise. The 24 and 25 where in great need of an update and the one Phil has produced is to a standard very much higher than anything that has been produced so far in RTR, (and I though the work put into the Heljan 05 made it stand out). The thought and care Phil has put into the model allows him to produce almost any variation of a 24/25 he wants. Full marks to him for taking the plunge, and in this day and age, keeping it such a secret. Although neither of the models produced so far, really fitted into my scheme of things, I felt compelled to buy one to support him. Once these are sold he can move onto the next one, which, if it is the "Consett" one I'd most probably have to buy as well. They are just so nice! The ability to put EM or P4 wheelsets in without the need for modifications to anything is another nice touch. Keep on with the project Phil, it's the best RTR diesel I've seen so far.

Paul J.

• Like 3

Am I allowed to drop a turd in the punch bowl? Going back to Iain Rice's maxim that consistency is key, as a model becomes more refined, so small defects which might be passed over on a lesser model stand out. And what is standing out on this one is the side grilles looking like poorly applied aftermarket etched parts. Sorry and all that, but I have seen the prototypes, and the bodyside grilles are significantly more flush.

Correct this and the glazing, and it is a complete knockout, instead of 'the best, but'.

...the bodyside grilles varied between sub classes....I haven't had the caliper on them yet but I find nothing offensive in their dimensions.

Dave

It's not just about fractions of a milimeter on a vernier Dave it's about how they look in the context of a model and the grills on this don't quite look right. They look a little clunky which on anything else maybe wouldn't stand out but because of the rest of the model (apart from the poor glazing) it does.

I wonder if everyone is going to do a serious detailing excerise on all their stock to bring it up to this kind of level of detail?

Justin

....I've just compared the model to a close up image of D5000 and find all details correct in every aspect on the model. The grilles are coloured black on the model....which, in my view, is the source of increased contrast and comments about how the grilles appear.

If grilles and bodyside were the same colour then I don't think that these comments would have arisen.

Dave

Chris

That's a good question. With that very thing in mind, I noted with approval the mention of soft-sprung buffers.

....I've just compared the model to a close up image of D5000 and find all details correct in every aspect on the model. The grilles are coloured black on the model....which, in my view, is the source of increased contrast and comments about how the grilles appear.

If grilles and bodyside were the same colour then I don't think that these comments would have arisen.

Dave

Actually I thought the grills looked better on the green one. It's the blue one they look worse to me on but never mind. 

I like the Oleo buffers, they're really good! I wonder if they'd do them seperately? 

...if the weather were dry then I'd go outside and take a close up of the grilles in diffuse natural light. To me, harsh artificial light casts a shadow off the edge of the grilles which combines with the colour contrast to suggest error.

post-7795-0-16620800-1448881492.jpg

...taken in natural light in the conservatory a few minutes ago

Dave

• Like 4

...if the weather were dry then I'd go outside and take a close up of the grilles in diffuse natural light. To me, harsh artificial light casts a shadow off the edge of the grilles which combines with the colour contrast to suggest error.

Dave

I don't mind you getting wet Dave.

What a stunning model - well done all.

Might have to do a back date on DitD when the 25s get done...

• Like 2

Dave

Dave,

Maybe it is time to take a breath and walk away for a while?

With your (strongly) hinted at involvement replying to every single negative comment and trying to counter it does not come across as being balanced.

There have been many positive comments, and there have been a few querying some features. 

That is the way of all models really.

regards,

Craig W

Rail Exclusive have said on the sale of the class 24, all existing customers of past models will get an e-mail for ordering one within the next  two weeeks ,once they have exhausted all orders for those who want one , they will then offer them on the website,

Just to point out they have just got back to the office and as the staff level is just 2 ,please be patient, but if you are an existing customer and have not heard within the two weeks please contact Rail Exclusive

Is it confirmed that RailExclusive and SLW will do the Class 24/1 and Class 25? Or is that just speculation?

Regarding the grilles, they look alright to me. There's a lot of factors that can affect the looks of something. If a shrink ray was indeed available and if you could shrink a real Class 24 down to 1:76 scale and compare it along side a model, they'll still look different. Many things must be taken into account. £160 for such a high quality model is absolutely superb. Beggars cannot be choosers. If many RMwebbers can be content with the metal block protruding through the OxfordRail Adams Radial, then I'm sure a grille that is apparently a fraction of a mm more isn't hard to accept. I think we've been spoilt lately with the level of detail on RTR models.

I must echo the thoughts of many on here. The SLW Class 24, is by far the best "value for money" model out there. If anyone actually does complain then I'd like to see them put their own money in and do a better job. Phil and Jamie must be patted on the back for a superb job. They've not started a long guessing thread, neither are they uselessly announcing model after model and then blaming delays on various things.

I'm not a fan of the Class 24, but I feel this is a must have. Not even my era...but must have! Still not sure if I'll get one. But I really want one.

• Like 2

Dave,

Maybe it is time to take a breath and walk away for a while?

With your (strongly) hinted at involvement replying to every single negative comment and trying to counter it does not come across as being balanced.

There have been many positive comments, and there have been a few querying some features. 

That is the way of all models really.

regards,

Craig W

....great if they're founded Craig but the grille issue is important and if there is an error then I'd like to understand what it is.

Dave